Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Eddie Firmani

Eddie Firmani is 90 today. Back in the 50’s and 60’s this man was a true Charlton legend. Definitely an all time great at our club.

Comments

• Options
    My first Charlton hero on his return from Italy
    His strike rate was phenomenal.
    When I think of him I always remember him in that nearly all white kit with the red shoulder flash.
    Strange to think he is only 2 years younger than my mum!
    Happy birthday Eddie
  • Options
    The first man to score an European Competition goal. Played for Charlton at the time.
    Happy Birthday Eddie.
  • Options
    The first man to score an European Competition goal. Played for Charlton at the time.
    Happy Birthday Eddie.
    Never knew that. Any more detail ?
  • Options
    Happy Birthday Eddie.
    Can't see how that can be true.
  • Options
    A true legend. Eddie had absolutely everything.
    Still the only player to score a hundred goals in Italy and in England I think. Happy birthday Eddie.
  • Options
    After a quick google I think the first European inter club competition was in 1955. The then European Cup. How did Eddie score a goal for Charlton in that ? 
  • Options
    Happy Birthday Eddie.
    Firmani scored twice for a London XI in an Inter Cities Fairs Cup match against Basel in Switzerland on the 4th June 1955
  • Options
    After a quick google I think the first European inter club competition was in 1955. The then European Cup. How did Eddie score a goal for Charlton in that ? 
    The competition was an invitational event at the time for cities. The London team was made up with players who played for London teams at that time 

• Options
    Thanks. Not a club competition then. Certainly explains it. 
  • Options
    Thanks. Not a club competition then. Certainly explains it. 
    Knowledge is power 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’m not sure if I’m imagining this but I do think I saw him play at the Valley it would have been around the time I started supporting the club, 1964.

I do remember the kit with the red flashes on the shoulders unusual to have so little red? Were Castore around back then;)

Didn't realise he was still alive, Happy Birthday, Eddie.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Happy Birthday Eddie.
    Firmani scored twice for a London XI in an Inter Cities Fairs Cup match against Basel in Switzerland on the 4th June 1955
    Thanks.
    Never heard of a London Xl team before. According to Google he scored one of the goals.

• Options
    shirty5 said:
    I’m not sure if I’m imagining this but I do think I saw him play at the Valley it would have been around the time I started supporting the club, 1964.

I do remember the kit with the red flashes on the shoulders unusual to have so little red? Were Castore around back then;)

Didn't realise he was still alive, Happy Birthday, Eddie.

Ha, the state of that pitch, we were hard back then;)
  • Options
    Manager when I started following Charlton, replaced by Theo Foley.

Wasn't he part of our South African connection?  
  • Options
    Happy birthday, in my option one of the few that deserve to be called a legend, saw him play a fair few times in the late ‘50’s early ‘60’s.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Came over with Stuart Leary 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Kap10 said:

Came over with Stuart Leary 
    His brother Peter also played for us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    first Charlton game I went to Eddie scored the winner against Carlisle in March 67
    He was the manager of one of my favourite teams 68/69
    If we had gone up that yr -well who knows how the history books might have been rewritten 
    Happy birthday Eddie 
  • Options
    "Sha la la la Firmani".
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    My most vivid memory was a game v Northampton (6th May 1967 it would seem). A win for Charlton would guarantee div 2 football for another season (and send Northampton down). Eddie was everywhere and scored twice in a 3:0 win. Graham Moore and Theo Foley from Northampton both joined us the next season. Great man.
  • Options

Cliff Holton played for Charlton towards the end of his career.
  • Options
    Eddie was truly a legend. Remember his blue Mercedes parked behind the main stand when he returned in 63. He was true class. Was lucky enough to meet him some years ago at the Valley during an old players evening. Happy Birthday Eddie !
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:

Cliff Holton played for Charlton towards the end of his career.
    I remember Cliff Holton also, just one seasan or part of, I think?

I first saw Eddie Firmani play in his 2nd spell at The Valley when my Dad first took me; then a few appearances at the beginning of his 3rd spell early in the 1967-68 season. Charlton had made a very patchy start, manager Bob Stokoe was sacked and Firmani was appointed manager and immediately hung up his boots.

There was always a goal threat in Firmani sides - and those old enough, will always remember the legendary 1968-69 season: the 2-0 FA Cup win at Palace and how well we played in the unlucky defeat at Arsenal - plus finishing 3rd and just missing out on promotion back to the old Division One, to Palace of all teams. :neutral:

• Options
    Happy Birthday Eddie. 
    He and Stuart were my idols  when  I was a youngster, the perfect foils for each other. As I have said before it was surprising that he made his debut at left back. 
  • Options
    I think his brother played left back ? Happy birthday Eddie great man
  • Options
    Happy Birthday Eddie!

Fine player and manager and I enjoyed watching you as a young lad when you returned to Charlton from Italy.