Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Newport County v Charlton Athletic | EFL Cup | Tuesday 8 August 2023 - 19.30 | Match Preview

Comments

• Options
    Strong enough looking side. That Egbo doesn't even start tonight suggests that Holden wants to move him on. Chin I assume will be right wing back, so on the correct side for him.
  • Options
    Strong team
  • Options
    The 2 K's up front. 😱

Really do need another striker.

Let's hope that Newports dismal run of conceding & not scoring continues.....son wants a trip to the other side of Manchester this year 😃

• Options
    Talal said:
    Egbo must be off if he can't get in ahead of Chin. 
    obviously Dean sees them both alot more, but from the limited amount I've seen of both I'd have Egbo every time
  • Options
    The 2 K's up front. 😱

Let's hope that Newports dismal run of conceding & not scoring continues.....son wants a trip to the other side of Manchester this year 😃

There's a new concert venue opening next to the Etihad, he'll be able to get tickets for that  ;)
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Charlton: Isted; Mitchell, Ness, Hector (c); Chin, McGrandles, Payne, Camará, Edun; Kanu, Kirk

Substitutes: Maynard-Brewer, Egbo, Thomas, Dobson, Taylor, Anderson, Blackett-Taylor, Campbell, May

Holden really doesn't like Egbo.
  • Options
    DJ not involved again .
  • Options
    Kanu with a hat-trick to do his confidence the world of good please.
  • Options
    The 2 K's up front. 😱

Blimey Golfie why haven’t you mentioned the striker situation before mate ? Nobody has even thought of that 😂 
  • Options
    Any moody stream links?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It’s funny how a manager can see things in a player that they don’t like sometimes. Egbo never did anything wrong whenever he has played imo but Dean obviously just does fancy playing him for Chin to start ahead of him
  • Options
    sm said:
    RedChaser said:

Charlton: Isted; Mitchell, Ness, Hector (c); Chin, McGrandles, Payne, Camará, Edun; Kanu, Kirk

Substitutes: Maynard-Brewer, Egbo, Thomas, Dobson, Taylor, Anderson, Blackett-Taylor, Campbell, May

Word on the street is that Holden isn't happy that Egbo's "football friend" butchered Leaburn at Welling.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    sm said:
    RedChaser said:

The writing was probably on the wall when we tried to sign the lad who was at Coventry but failed the medical especially if Egbo reacted badly to not being the obvious first choice RB. Could be the same with DJ who was sent on loan although Kirk must have kept his nose clean unless he’s in the shop window again 🤷‍♂️.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Any moody stream links?
    Potentially here... Someone recommended this link earlier, but be a little surprised if it works.

Newport County vs Charlton Athletic - Hesgoals.to
  • Options
    Have to assume Holden wants to move Egbo on if he can't get a game before Chin.

Most interested to see how Edun and McGrandles do.

Looks very light upfront but we all know that.

COYR.
  • Options
    DJ not involved again .
    Is he injured?  Knew he was likely to be moved on if we can but thought he may at least make the bench in the League Cup.
  • Options
    Have to assume Holden wants to move Egbo on if he can't get a game before Chin.

Most interested to see how Edun and McGrandles do.

Looks very light upfront but we all know that.

COYR.
    Yes Edun is most interesting for me as his brief appearance at the weekend was very impressive the bloke looked dynamite. Typical of us if he gets injured tonight and out for months 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    obviously Dean sees them both alot more, but from the limited amount I've seen of both I'd have Egbo every time
    Same, but maybe it's more about moving Egbo on than rating Chin more.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Seem to be alone in reading the team sheet that we have our normal, would-be first choice players on the subs bench and 'weaker', but capable, team starting. And everyone latching onto Egbo being out of favour? So are Dobson and May also out of favour? Is DH also looking to move them on? What have i missed in the prevailing logic?
  • Options
    Seem to be alone in reading the team sheet that we have our normal, would-be first choice players on the subs bench and 'weaker', but capable, team starting. And everyone latching onto Egbo being out of favour? So are Dobson and May also out of favour? Is DH also looking to move them on? What have i missed in the prevailing logic?
    From my perspective I’m just making that assumption re Egbo I can understand the weekend as the youngster starting ahead of him has had a fantastic pre season but Chin has hardly covered himself in glory when he has played previously. If he isn’t off then if I was him I would be fuming 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You'd expect the back up RB/RWB to be starting in a "reserve" eleven when he wasn't in the squad on Saturday. Chin isn't better than him so the logical assumption is that Egbo won't be here much longer. 
  • Options
    stream?
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Talal said:

Has Chin played many 1st team games in his best position as a RB or RWB ?

I saw him struggle at LB like every other Right footed player who got the short straw in the last few years. The exception being Sessegnon who did ok but he too mainly cut back on to his favoured Right foot when getting forward.

For Dean Holden it isn't just in matches but how players are like day in, day out in training.

It has to be Holden's and Scott's decision and it could well be about moving 2 or 3 on with Egbo, DJ and Possibly Kirk before incomings as quid pro quo appears to be in operation which as we are 3rd tier makes sense.
  • Options
    The 2 K's up front. 😱

Stockport County?

• Options
    I'm not sure I can actually remember Chin playing at RB for us. Will be interesting to see how much better he is in his natural position.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    stream?
    Best we've got tonight

booo
  • Options
    Seems very much being used as a squad game to give those fit enough a run out - Holden himself said earlier about "some players need to be getting minutes". Squad players need to be sufficiently match fit if called upon in a League fixture.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    stream?
    Best we've got tonight

Blackburn?

• Options

They played the full 90 on Saturday. Egbo wasn't even in the squad