Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Newport County v Charlton Athletic | EFL Cup | Tuesday 8 August 2023 - 19.30 | Match Preview

Comments

• Options
    Newport isn't a county
  • Options
    I'd happily see us have an FA cup run. But more than happy to get knocked out of the League Cup & Pepperoni trophy ASAP unless the kids can win the games for us.
  • Options
    I really hope we don’t start any of our first team, I know it’s nice to have a cup run but the only thing that matters this season is getting out of this god forsaken league. Imagine we play May and he gets hacked and out for 3 months, is it really worth the risk?
    I get that but equally you could say that Holden might want to try May alongside someone to try and build an understanding as a strike pairing given that Leaburn is still weeks away from returning.

Yes of course he could get injured but players get injured in training.
  • Options
    Was debating whether to go to this but in the unlikely event of ET you’d miss the last train back to London and can’t be arsed to drive it

4-0 Charlton. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Is it 9 subs in the league cup or have I made that up?
    Yeah definitely nine subs... We had that vs QPR and Man Utd last season
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
     I think it will be something like this: 

Isted 
              Mitchell Hector Ness
    Egbo                                    Edun 
          Camara McGrandles Payne 
                     Kanu      Kirk 

With Taylor coming on for Camara to get some minutes and save Camara for Saturday 

Would expect this to be pretty much it. Bench with a few of the youngsters on it like Adigun, Rylah and Casey 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Newport isn't a county
    It was up until 1974 
  • Options
    Was debating whether to go to this but in the unlikely event of ET you’d miss the last train back to London and can’t be arsed to drive it

4-0 Charlton. 
    There is no extra time, it goes to penalties if drawing after full time.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    What about extra time 🤣🤣🤣🤣
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

• Options
    shirty5 said:
    Chizz said:
    Newport isn't a county
    It was up until 1974 
    I think it reverted to being a County Borough in 1996, before taking City Status in the Queens Golden Jubilee in 2002.

Maybe it’s taken the confusing title of ‘City and County of Newport’ like Bristol has.

That said I think a Newport City FC also exists in the Welsh league and did so well before City status.

I think Newport County AFC also ditched the County bit themselves for a bit to avoid debts!
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Well?!??!?!??

🤣🤣🤣
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    Hopefully Deji Elerewe is fit. Would like to see him in from the start if so
    Suspended atm
  • Options
    I can’t make this one.
    Restricted to the audio commentary which makes my heart sink for the one simple reason that the commentators don’t take into account that the listeners can’t see what they can see, and they don’t make describing what is actually happening their first priority.
    For example if a free kick is awarded tell us if it is for Newport or Charlton before describing the referees decision. Or if there is a break in play tell us first before rabbiting on about whatever.
    For those of us unable to see the action nothing is obvious.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I can’t make this one.
    Restricted to the audio commentary which makes my heart sink for the one simple reason that the commentators don’t take into account that the listeners can’t see what they can see, and they don’t make describing what is actually happening their first priority.
    For example if a free kick is awarded tell us if it is for Newport or Charlton before describing the referees decision. Or if there is a break in play tell us first before rabbiting on about whatever.
    I never listen to commentary
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I can’t make this one.
    I disagree.
    My brother knows I only listen so he makes sure I know what's going on. It's usually if a guest commentator joins in it goes wrong.

But I'm going tomorrow so I don't care 😜😘🤣🤣🤣🤣
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I can’t make this one.
    Is that on LBC radio? 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
     I think it will be something like this: 

Isted 
              Mitchell Hector Ness
    Egbo                                    Edun 
          Camara McGrandles Payne 
                     Kanu      Kirk 

With Taylor coming on for Camara to get some minutes and save Camara for Saturday 
    Is surely the right answer. Or very close to it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Your brother is a good commentator with a huge amount of knowledge and a decent vocabulary. However if you only ever listen you may not be in a position to agree or disagree with me.
    In recent times it has been possible to both listen to your brother and see the match on stream. It is actually quite frequent in the pre season games and previously in U21games. When you’re able to watch and hear at the same time it is quite easy to spot the discrepancies.
    I am simply asking for the commentators to describe exactly what is happening first and then add the ‘colour’ second. I am sure it can be done.
    When Greg is commentating Terry is I am afraid guilty of a lot of confusing interruptions and additions himself. The commentators don’t need to change, but simply realise how dependent the listeners are, and very slightly alter their information priorities.
    Enjoy tomorrow and make some noise.
  • Options
    I really hope we don’t start any of our first team, I know it’s nice to have a cup run but the only thing that matters this season is getting out of this god forsaken league. Imagine we play May and he gets hacked and out for 3 months, is it really worth the risk?
    Disagree, because several members of the first team need minutes. Protect May of course, but most of our other new signings need minutes, plus the likes of Hector are also undercooked.

This is one situation where the starting lineup will look different from the Orient one, but won't look much weaker.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    seth plum said:
    I can’t make this one.
    Is that on LBC radio? 
    Don't you mean LBC wireless?
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Isted

Egbo - Hector - Jones - Edun

Camara - Dobson - McGrandles

Campbell - Kanu - Kirk

JUDY DENCH: 
    M.Brewer, Asiimwe, Thomas, Taylor, Payne, Anderson, May

0-2 win
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    I could imagine Mitchell starting. Kanu will probably play upfront alone (which isn’t a great idea but needs must).
    Mitchell or more likely Taylor in place of Dobson. 
  • Options
    What is the EFL Cup?
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Chizz said:
    Newport isn't a county
    It was up until 1974 
    intrigued I looked this up.  There was never a County of Newport.  Newport until 1974 was the City and County Borough of Monmouthshire. The team was originally the Newport & Monmouthshire County Association Football Club, so they just knocked off the "& Monmouthshire" bit.
  • Options
    What is the EFL Cup?
    The Milk, Littlewoods, Rumbelows, Coca-Cola, Worthington's, Carling, Capital One, Carobo Cup depends how old you are.