Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlie Methven: Global Football Partners have no plans to ‘flip’ Charlton Athletic

Comments

• Had a quick listen. The main objective appears to be getting to the championship and that may well be enough for the current crop of investors.
    If correct, the money floating about in the champ quoted by Methven is substantial. Premier league 2 anyone?
  • The item that doesn't seem to have been mentioned is the emphasis that CM placed on owning the assets ie The Valley and Sparrows Lane.

Did he not say at the end that if he could change one thing it would be owning those assets.  It was also about the only area where he was very reluctant to mention numbers.  Income, losses, etc he shared.  When he was asked about the price of the Valley and SL he clamed up.  That suggests to me that they don't want to queer any current or future negotiations with RD.   Or it could be he still has to convince the money men that owning the assets is a good investment.

Also he didn't, if I heard it right, say where "not a family club" but that we're "not not a family club but there are about 60 clubs who claim to be family clubs".  Please correct me on either item if I misheard it.
    Was also interesting that one of the successes he mentioned about Sunderland (some of which were nothing to do with his time there!) was that they owned the assets and the hosts looked aghast when he clarified that we didn’t own ours. I suspect this might be a case of him having a classic English view of the importance of owning your stadium and the American owners not quite getting it. I could be totally wide of the mark there though. 

And yes, you’re correct about family club thing. He did say others were more family orientated but also pointed out that the phrase family club doesn’t really mean anything, how do you measure the family-ness of a football club?
  • I think it’s way too early to say the way the club is being run is a complete success. We’ve just come off the worst season for 90 odd years. They hired Appleton, the ex-Oxford Utd manager, which worryingly CM is still trying to distance himself from. CM doesn’t have a great record in football, he has the unenviable record of presiding over the worst league finishes for every club he’s been involved in. Luckily we now have a decent manager, I hate to think where we’d be if NJ had said no, like so many other highly rated managers did at the time. 

He may spin that we are actually a ‘street club’ and that’s how you unlock 40% extra revenue, that is probably what he’s telling the owners. That sort of spin doesn’t sound like a sound, long term plan. As usual it’s going to be a gamble on promotion or things will unravel quickly. Finger crossed!

Now expecting Charlie’s mates on here to pile on.
    So if anyone disagrees with you they're "Charlie's mates".
    It may be they just have a different point of view to you.
    Not at all, all opinions welcome, just that there’s a vocal contingent that seem to defend Charlie’s actions, good or bad.
  • edited August 29
    Henry Irving made some really excellent points, and tbh, I think it's a lot harder than the people in charge realise to tap into the market of the surrounding areas. 

The reality is, Charlton just isn't an easy team to support. I have a group of old mates who are a mixture of Somali, Pakistani and Kenyan, and they can't understand why I support Charlton. They have gone to games, and have all said that if we got to the Premier League, they'd get season tickets, but that's not to support Charlton, but rather see quality football. 

People who have no family ties to Charlton, are a very hard sell for Charlton. We are arguably the most underachieving London professional football club at present (not even sure its an argument tbh) there's a real lack of interest in our level of football. 

Just a point I'd like to question.
    Based on listening to the whole thing Charlie makes a point that the gap between L1 and Champ is widening and there is a conscientious effort to boost prestige of the championship, with the new efl deal being with more than ligue 1 for example,
    And moving towards an premier league 2 ( with it an ever increasing quality of football I'd imagine) but  this is not new news.

He also mentioned sponsorship in this regard and how it's difficult for us to get people interested in L1 because of the prestige and quantity of other ports teams ( locally ie London ) I think there is clear thinking here in that regards.

Anyway, I digress, with that in mind surely then if we can get promoted and become an established champ team again would that not then begin to appeal to these types you mention?
  • Separately @Henry Irving just one point to your thoughtful post with many good points; on the way CM described how American biz people see English football assets as bargains compared with US sports clubs, Kieran Maguire has come to the same conclusion, and Kieran takes a pretty dim view of Charlie generally. So I think Charlie's conclusion there is solid.
  • Sponsored links:

• Think you are all missing the key point here. There is a clear path / stepping stone between being oblivious to CAFC, despite them being on your doorstep and then becoming a committed supporter. Stage 1, you get offered a job in a kiosk in the ground. Once you are conditioned to an environment where people chuck large quantities of beer down their neck and sing songs, you then move closer by moving to stage 2, watching the football as a steward. A year or so of that and you're match ready. Academy, kiosk staff and stewards are the future. It just took a marketing genius to unlock it. All aboard, the more the merrier i say.       
  • That's worrying Prague, took my white son to his first game last weekend. If the club don't want white people as fans, I think I'll take him Maidstone United next time, thanks for the heads up
  • Mixed race people must be a space/time continuum dilemma for those who decide which skin colour is or is not welcome or encouraged at the Valley.
    All cats are grey in the dark.

• If the idea is to encourage more local yoof to attend with "street football", does that mean we're going to have to install metal detectors or amnesty bins for the knives?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 29
    More to this i don't know how the "white" bit crept in but it obviously that the club is trying to attract a younger crowd, they literally created a section for 16-20 year olds. It makes sense from the club perspective to put effort in to attracting a younger crowd, those around 60 who attend arent likely to stop attending through choice but a significant amount probably wont be coming in ten, fifteen years time for a variety of reasons. It's not about not wanting a certain demographic as fans but attracting fans from other demographics and as a business if they feel there is more chance of making a profit from demographic A than B they will do so.

All this said its not that they wont older men as fans but more so they want to attract a younger fanbase who will spend money and if that means some of the older fans stop attending they are happy to make that trade off. 
  • More to this i don't know how the "white" bit crept in but it obviously that the club is trying to attract a younger crowd, they literally created a section for 16-20 year olds. It makes sense from the club perspective to put effort in to attracting a younger crowd, those around 60 who attend arent likely to stop attending through choice but a significant amount probably wont be coming in ten, fifteen years time for a variety of reasons. It's not about not wanting a certain demographic as fans but attracting fans from other demographics and as a business if they fell there is more chance of making a profit from demographic A than B they will do so.

All this said its not that they wont older men as fans but more so they want to attract a younger fanbase who will spend money and if that means some of the older fans stop attending they are happy to make that trade off. 
    bang on the money until the very last bit in ky
    opinion. Don’t think they’re expecting the older fans to stop as nothing is being done to discourage them really, the fanzone doesn’t make a huge difference to older fans for example but is aimed at new younger fans
  • Henry, if you are aiming that "repeat offenders" comment at me, I don't really post on here, and I don't really have any politics. I'm just picking up on what Prague (not CM) has clearly stated above, as I find it very concerning if that is the "agenda". I'll leave it at that, as you say don't wanna spoil the thread.
  • edited August 29
    fenaddick said:
    More to this i don't know how the "white" bit crept in but it obviously that the club is trying to attract a younger crowd, they literally created a section for 16-20 year olds. It makes sense from the club perspective to put effort in to attracting a younger crowd, those around 60 who attend arent likely to stop attending through choice but a significant amount probably wont be coming in ten, fifteen years time for a variety of reasons. It's not about not wanting a certain demographic as fans but attracting fans from other demographics and as a business if they fell there is more chance of making a profit from demographic A than B they will do so.

bang on the money until the very last bit in ky
    opinion. Don’t think they’re expecting the older fans to stop as nothing is being done to discourage them really, the fanzone doesn’t make a huge difference to older fans for example but is aimed at new younger fans
    No exactly that, you are right the point I'm making, maybe clumsily, is if a few (and there will always be some upset by any change) older fans get upset because the fanzone is too young, loud etc (also accepting as you said most dont care) the club is happy to make that trade off. Not to be seen as a whole exchange of older fans for younger fans.
  • Henry, if you are aiming that "repeat offenders" comment at me, I don't really post on here, and I don't really have any politics. I'm just picking up on what Prague (not CM) has clearly stated above, as I find it very concerning if that is the "agenda". I'll leave it at that, as you say don't wanna spoil the thread.
    but that isn’t what Prague said either? The comment his friend made was much more about age than anything else, which I imagine isn’t an issue for your son. Unless your son is middle aged that is 
  • Did he comment on why transfer fees are ‘undisclosed’ yet happy to share how much money we lose?