Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlie Methven: Global Football Partners have no plans to ‘flip’ Charlton Athletic

Comments

• My conclusion from that interview is that Charlie is a mercenary businessman who’s loyalties are elsewhere (Oxford) so don’t expect him to be with us for very long but he’ll do a good job while he is with us so that he gets what he really wants
  • shirty5 said:
    Is fairly standard business guff from Charlie, highlight was him originally putting the blame on the appleton hire on the ''football staff'' so Andy Scott, before in the next breath reverting to ''We'' as owners made a mistake

as well as defining Appleton's communication skills as '' not his strongest aspect''

Charlton’s Technical Director Andy Scott led the recruitment process, supported by Managing Director James Rodwell and Simon Lenagan, Sporting Director of the club’s owners Global Football Partners. 

Scott commented: “The appointment of Michael comes following an in-depth recruitment process. We had a clear idea of the type of person we wanted, the way they work and how they manage.

“When speaking to the various candidates that we met, Michael demonstrated very clearly that he would have the ability to take the current group and mould them into a successful team. 

“He has worked at the very top level so he understands what high standards are required to win. He is a leader on the grass, as well as in the dressing room, has a winning mentality and has had many positive and negative experiences as a manager that have shaped him into the coach that we believe will be the best person for the job. 

“He is a coach who knows what it takes to get a team promoted. He has a track record of working with, and developing, young players, which is vital given our outstanding academy. In addition, he has experience working in a modern set-up where his responsibilities are on managing a group of players and getting the best out of them on the pitch.”

At least he's got a new negative experience to add to his repertoire for next time
  • I personally feel that my football club are being run more professionally than it has been for18 years. So to call him a cunt when he has been fundamental in achieving this seems a bit strong.
    alfie wasn’t wanted by jones so is he a cunt as well. 

Hard to see there was a lack of professionalism in 2011/12. Evidence suggests otherwise.
    Were they still professional when they sold to Roland,
  • sam3110 said:
    He's not on X
    I think he just sticks to OnlyFans these days 
  • Sponsored links:

• Possibly are fit to lick the boots in some cases but only if the boots in question had recently stepped in a particularly fresh and foul smelling dog turd. 

That said Keohane has now left taking the most deserving tongue with him and the jury is still out on some of the chums and their decision making which does appear to either have miraculously improved or been allocated more appropriately to the more competent members of the team. 
  • edited August 28
    He posted on X implying that supporters can't grasp the reason why Alfie May was sold. I responded calling him a patronising cnut. Then his post disappeared. 
    Anyway, what I want to know, is who Return of the SE7 called a cnut, if Methven isn't on X?
  • edited August 28
  • Gribbo said:
    Jesus christ, look at the squad investment. Look at the infrastructural investment.

Why can't we just give it until Christmas and see where we are, both on and off the pitch, before calling the the CEO a cunt on his X account that don't exist, under a post on X that also now don't exist? 🙄

This is the most Charlton Post ever :D
  • edited August 29
    I don't think we have to agree with everything he says, but he said it well. I don't get a feeling of the incompetence we saw under Sandgaard with this lot. Appleton didn't work out but he wasn't a terrible appointment per seat at the time. Jones was always a risk IMO. I had doubts about him as he seemed a bit mad at Southampton. He is a manager you need to let get on with it and the owners have done and we seem to be seeing the results. Maybe we learned that the manager has to have the biggest say in who comes in and out.

In terms of what he said about us not being a family club. I sort of agree with him. All clubs are family clubs but some more so than others. We are, and I think he went there, a community club. Probably one of the top community clubs in the country.
  • Sponsored links:

• FWIW I made him bang on with the observation about our quite woolly ‘brand’ as a family club, antithesis to Millwall, sleeping giant… or whatever we’ve been telling ourselves since the Premier League days. Everyone says they’re a family club - so what?

There’s absolutely no harm in crisping up the messaging around exciting street footballers, outstanding youth talent, the links to Jamaica. 

It’s a genuine USP at this level, and we can all rally around it fairly easily can’t we? 
  • Seriously guys you've given me a good laugh. I'm a nobhead (prize helmet) and a nonce (playground dweller). I have the attention span of a gnat as I can't watch a video over an hour long, and I've somehow dissed the whole ownership without even mentioning them. Sums me up very well.  Is one of you my ex wife?
  • Seriously guys you've given me a good laugh. I'm a nobhead (prize helmet) and a nonce (playground dweller). I have the attention span of a gnat as I can't watch a video over an hour long, and I've somehow dissed the whole ownership without even mentioning them. Sums me up very well.  Is one of you my ex wife?

08:06 - Maybe enough internet for you today?
  • edited August 29
    FWIW I made him bang on with the observation about our quite woolly ‘brand’ as a family club, antithesis to Millwall, sleeping giant… or whatever we’ve been telling ourselves since the Premier League days. Everyone says they’re a family club - so what?

There’s absolutely no harm in crisping up the messaging around exciting street footballers, outstanding youth talent, the links to Jamaica. 

It’s a genuine USP at this level, and we can all rally around it fairly easily can’t we? 
    Agreed - it’s great that families feel comfortable bringing their kids etc but that should be a given in this day and age - if we can encourage more of the local community by hilighting some aspects of our academy, why not ? CM’s statement that we have the biggest catchment area in English football was also some stat !!! 

08:06 - Maybe enough internet for you today?

• Excellent in sight into football finance , 19 mill to run the whole of Charlton over 12 months and yet people still expect owners to spend millions on players and give them what they want .. CM speaks well and is very knowledgeable and the club under this ownership is in very good hands .. 
  • Gribbo said:
    Jesus christ, look at the squad investment. Look at the infrastructural investment.

Why can't we just give it until Christmas and see where we are, both on and off the pitch, before calling the the CEO a cunt on his X account that don't exist, under a post on X that also now don't exist? 🙄

As the saying goes, a c@nt isn’t just for Christmas.