Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Millwall vs Charlton Athletic Pre-Season Friendly 25/7/2023 Match (& post p14) Thread

Comments

• Options
    SDAddick said:
    I really hope Charlton TV put this match up to watch on demand. I had meetings during it that I had to pay attention to and couldn't watch it. I went over to Millwall TV to see if I could watch it there, but in order to sign up for Millwall TV, you need to provide you bank account details for a UK-based bank account for verification. I guess this is a UK Government-backed thing (OneID or something?), but curious how it's supposed to work for those of us with a bank named, I don't know, US Bank?
    It's on millwall you tube
    Do you have a link because I can't find it on their official YouTube page or by searching for it.

• Options
    And what a ball from Thomas. He has that in him.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Terrible touch from your number 32 🫣

Although it still worked out for him
  • Options
    He is a youth product aged just 18.
    Charlton started with a lot of academy players due to senior players missing, including the first goalscorer.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    He is a youth product aged just 18.
    Charlton started with a lot of academy players due to senior players missing, including the first goalscorer.
    Fair enough. Some good prospects there by the looks of it. 
  • Options
    He may not of shown it playing in a wider than usual position for the last half an hour, but Billy Mitchell’s younger brother Zach who is also 18 is another good academy product.
  • Options

Was it? Look at the position of his body...he wanted to bring the ball inside and he managed exactly that. I'd say it was a well thought and executed touch. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:

Was it? Look at the position of his body...he wanted to bring the ball inside and he managed exactly that. I'd say it was a well thought and executed touch. 
    Having seen a lot of Asimwe coming through, that first touch is in keeping with his habit of being able to receive the ball in most circumstances and being able to make his second touch effective.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mendonca said:

Lol no chance mate. Although he would probably claim that’s what he meant to do 
  • Options
    mendonca said:

Looks clearcut to me. You should be worried your left back didn't fancy putting his head on a 40 yard ping that he could have easily knocked into touch. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    mendonca said:

Looks clearcut to me. You should be worried your left back didn't fancy putting his head on a 40 yard ping that he could have easily knocked into touch. 
    Far too heavy a touch to be meant, watched it a few times and there’s no chance that he meant that. But we’ll have to agree to disagree on that. 

Re our left back. Hoping he won’t be our left back come the first game of the season and pretty sure he won’t be. 
  • Options
    Sorry have to agree with MF here, no way he meant that touch 
  • Options
    Unless one has seen him manage such a touch repeatedly which a lot of us Asimwe watchers have seen him do.

• Options
    Just out of interest, what do you think he meant with his first touch? @MillwallFan and @cafcsinger

To me, it looks (and from my playing days) is a simple touch to take the ball inside. Sometimes it's perfect, other times a bit light or heavy and then dependent on your reactionary powers. 

• Options
    The image in my head of Millwall fans must be a little outdated. 

If I saw that chap in the photo out on the street I'd think independent thinking, counter-culture, progressive politics, an appreciation of art and indie-rock, creativity, intelligence, and witty banter."  In short a hipster type who drank his green tea from a jam jar.   :|

Nah, we tend to support teams like Charlton
  • Options
    mendonca said:

Killing the ball dead would have presented the opportunity for the full back to close down. What he did, gave him the space to play the inside pass. No wonder Millwall fans are always on their own players backs.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Having seen Anderson a fair few times for the youths I would say he meant it. He scans the field and knows what he is going to do before he gets the ball. It is something that has made him stand out. It is a compliment IMO that some might think he didn't mean it.

Mind you was it Asimwe? If so, I don't know!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It was Asimwe, his movement on to receiving that pass suggests to me he knew what he was doing, and importantly knew what he was going to do with the ball next.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    It was Asimwe, his movement on to receiving that pass suggests to me he knew what he was doing, and importantly knew what he was going to do with the ball next.
    Agree, I think he meant it - not a perfect touch granted, but enough to take the Millwall left back out of the play.
  • Options
    He didn’t kill it as he hoped but he certainly wasn’t meaning to take it onwards towards the byline and was trying to touch it inside as he did, just heavier than he meant but that’s fine and it was also off a 70 yard pass so 🤷🏼‍♂️
  • Options
    Probs been said before on this thread but haven’t read - but what a bunch of twats… full bottles , coins etc being thrown at us… I got hit by a heavy bottle (midriff so no bother other than a bit wet) but was a disabled fella sat immediately in front of me and little kids… wtf! I moved down the stand in the end, I’m 37 male was with a mate so not intimidated but just - I’ve come down to watch a pre season friendly, good there was an atmos etc… but I can’t really be arsed with my eye cut open or something… been to den so many times now but will never fathom what braindead tits they are 

and as for it being our cup final… their fans went LOOPY when they equalised even aside from all the missiles they started hurling… 

on the plus side left a few mins early and was chatting to a millwall fan walking away from the ground who was, uncharacteristically, a completely charming bloke saying how well we played, wishing us well for the season and just a top guy. Very rare and hidden amongst the mass of vermin, but good to get the reminder that there are at least a tiny number of human beings who sit in the home ends down there

(for balance I do have a couple of millwall mates who are good blokes and the millwall lot who post on here seem sound, + there were several tosser teenagers in our end too - but they did at least stop short of hurling stuff )
    I wasn’t near the away end but did hear there was missiles going in both directions. Not sure how true this is?  F***ing ridiculous either way. It was a pre season friendly ffs 🤷🏻
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    A few bottles, somecoins and maybe a few darts u could understand if it was a league match 😂
  • Options
    Probs been said before on this thread but haven’t read - but what a bunch of twats… full bottles , coins etc being thrown at us… I got hit by a heavy bottle (midriff so no bother other than a bit wet) but was a disabled fella sat immediately in front of me and little kids… wtf! I moved down the stand in the end, I’m 37 male was with a mate so not intimidated but just - I’ve come down to watch a pre season friendly, good there was an atmos etc… but I can’t really be arsed with my eye cut open or something… been to den so many times now but will never fathom what braindead tits they are 

and as for it being our cup final… their fans went LOOPY when they equalised even aside from all the missiles they started hurling… 

on the plus side left a few mins early and was chatting to a millwall fan walking away from the ground who was, uncharacteristically, a completely charming bloke saying how well we played, wishing us well for the season and just a top guy. Very rare and hidden amongst the mass of vermin, but good to get the reminder that there are at least a tiny number of human beings who sit in the home ends down there

(for balance I do have a couple of millwall mates who are good blokes and the millwall lot who post on here seem sound, + there were several tosser teenagers in our end too - but they did at least stop short of hurling stuff )
    I wasn’t near the away end but did hear there was missiles going in both directions. Not sure how true this is?  F***ing ridiculous either way. It was a pre season friendly ffs 🤷🏻
    definitely saw a couple of elf bars fly overheard - as is the modern way
  • Options

How are they  supposed to get up to speed before the first game of the season?
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Toe rags need a pre-season as well you know!
  • Options

Fairly certain this didnt occur, would have been crazy and easily see by the 20+ police stood right in the corner just yards away (also would assume your lot in the corner would’ve gone absolutely bonkers if we had). I don’t know, but assumed/ it felt like the missiles from your end were coming from the upper tier given the trajectory and the lads up there a bit out of sight of the coppers 

+ if I’m honest the idiot kids in our end - the ones around me anyway - looked like they loved giving the wanker signs from the safety of our end but quite frankly would’ve been far too scared to actually do anything