Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Millwall vs Charlton Athletic Pre-Season Friendly 25/7/2023 Match (& post p14) Thread

Comments

• Options
    knew we wouldnt win even at HT but thought first half in particular was best 45 ive seen from a Charlton team in a long time
  • Options
    clive said:
    Just out of interest, how many fans there?
    Attendance: 7,143 (1,510)
    https://www.millwallfc.co.uk/news/2023/july/25/report---millwall-v-charlton-athletic/
    Wow, that’s not bad for a preseason friendly.
    Decent from us but 5,633 is pretty poor from them. I was expecting a much bigger turnout from them in the first home game since their owner passed away.
  • Options
    clive said:
    https://www.millwallfc.co.uk/news/2023/july/25/report---millwall-v-charlton-athletic/
    Decent from us but 5,633 is pretty poor from them. I was expecting a much bigger turnout from them in the first home game since their owner passed away.
    I think that’s a great turnout for a friendly game. It’s only a few years ago they weren’t getting that for league games. Begrudgingly, heir crowds have come on well since they’ve gone up to Championship and we’ve been stuck in L1 with shite ownerships. 
    The last time our average attendance was lower than last night’s attendance was the 97/98 season. So if you class a quarter of a century as a “few years” then you’re correct. 

• Options
    Well we give it our best & for a big part of the game we looked the better team
    I thought they looked poor gave us so much space their marking & passing was terrible just hitting the ball without looking up to see where their players was
    Loved the fight we showed putting them under pressure we was first to everything 
    Until the changes was made then they turned the tables & took control of the game we couldn't handle their game 
    But overall we have got to be happy with the improvement in our side just looking forward to getting this season underway 
    Come On You Reds  B)

• Options
    Great stuff - promising signs 
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    msomerton said:
    Negatives from the game. We gave the hall away far to often. Both their goals came from us giving the ball away in their box. Then 4 passes later they score.
    Tyrell Thomas not as good as many think. He is to accident prone and not aware of the situation around him poor passing. Mitchell struggled against the pace of the guy on their left and let him cut inside all the time. Kanu not ready for intense first team football. Asimwe was struggling to get into the game and knocked off the ball to easily. Anderson other than the goL I believe he scored was lost with what to do and so made panick passes that usury ended up with the Mikkwall players.
    It was lucky they were not up for itvin the f
    irst half. Second half showed the depth of their squad and our lack of depth.

I thought Thomas did pretty well for the first hour, but in the last half hour was clearly dead on his feet. Could barely walk for the last 20 mins. Glad he’s not going in as our first choice anything though.

A. It was a pre season friendly against a Championship club who missed out on the play offs by a whisker.

B. You said he did well for an hour against Championship players.

C.Pre season friendlies are to try different things plus with no Hector, Thomas was senior man with Young players around him.

D. Hopefully Thomas will be fitter for the outing last night and be up for selection as either the LCB in a 3 with Edun as the LWB or the LCB in a 4.

We have competition at last when or if everyone is fit. Over a 46 game season most of the Squad will be needed as injuries at Charlton are a regular occurrence. (Injuries happen at all clubs but that doesn't concern Cafc fans)
  • Options
    Wellred said:
    Well we give it our best & for a big part of the game we looked the better team
    I thought they looked poor gave us so much space their marking & passing was terrible just hitting the ball without looking up to see where their players was
    Loved the fight we showed putting them under pressure we was first to everything 
    Until the changes was made then they turned the tables & took control of the game we couldn't handle their game 
    But overall we have got to be happy with the improvement in our side just looking forward to getting this season underway 
    Come On You Reds  B)

For the first hour of the game it was us who looked like the L1 team and you looked championship. 
    I try not to read too much in to pre season friendlies but I’m not going to lie I was a bit concerned by our first half performance. 

The formation he was playing doesn’t suit us though so I’m hoping that’s a lesson learnt for Rowett and he won’t go back to a back 5 when the season starts. 

I’m still quietly confident of a top half finish with an outside chance of making the play offs. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Holden should show our two goals to the team before every match. Textbook on 1/ skin the full back and cross to oncoming midfielders 2/ movement and one touch passing get rewards.
  • Options
    We looked pretty good in pre-seasons under Garner. Remember if you're looking to play pretty football and press/press/press, you can't wish for any better platform than a friendly! 

I've said this before a few times, but I really wouldn't over analyse and provide an in depth report on a friendly.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Why do we seem to be happy to play risky balls around our penalty area, but when coming forward if they see a player in front of them with a defender within 10 yards, they prefer to turn round and play it square or backwards? Surely it’s safer and potentially more damaging to the opposition to take a chance ten meters outside their area than ten meters outside ours? 
    Well, this didn't age well did it. I didn't mean it as a fucking challenge - they must have been reading this and gone "Let's make him look even more stupid than usual". FFS. 

• Options
    He'll have no trouble on the next rooftop protest!
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    clive said:
    I think that’s a great turnout for a friendly game. It’s only a few years ago they weren’t getting that for league games. Begrudgingly, heir crowds have come on well since they’ve gone up to Championship and we’ve been stuck in L1 with shite ownerships. 
    The last time our average attendance was lower than last night’s attendance was the 97/98 season. So if you class a quarter of a century as a “few years” then you’re correct. 

The irony in a Millwall fan trying to play down years when you hold on to dear life about some record where we haven't beat you since 96, but we have only been in the same division as yous for 6 seasons out of a possible 26 seasons. 

Your crowds will dwindle again at some point, probably around the same time your fans are requesting the sack of one of your better managers in your history. The majority of your fans spend more time looking at blokes in another stand than actually watching the football.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just wanted to share this pic of the numpty who got nicked. Don’t think he likes us very much. 

He's made a right spectacle of himself....
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    msomerton said:
    Negatives from the game. We gave the hall away far to often. Both their goals came from us giving the ball away in their box. Then 4 passes later they score.
    Tyrell Thomas not as good as many think. He is to accident prone and not aware of the situation around him poor passing. Mitchell struggled against the pace of the guy on their left and let him cut inside all the time. Kanu not ready for intense first team football. Asimwe was struggling to get into the game and knocked off the ball to easily. Anderson other than the goL I believe he scored was lost with what to do and so made panick passes that usury ended up with the Mikkwall players.
    It was lucky they were not up for itvin the f
    irst half. Second half showed the depth of their squad and our lack of depth.

I thought Thomas did pretty well for the first hour, but in the last half hour was clearly dead on his feet. Could barely walk for the last 20 mins. Glad he’s not going in as our first choice anything though.

A. It was a pre season friendly against a Championship club who missed out on the play offs by a whisker.

B. You said he did well for an hour against Championship players.

C.Pre season friendlies are to try different things plus with no Hector, Thomas was senior man with Young players around him.

D. Hopefully Thomas will be fitter for the outing last night and be up for selection as either the LCB in a 3 with Edun as the LWB or the LCB in a 4.

We have competition at last when or if everyone is fit. Over a 46 game season most of the Squad will be needed as injuries at Charlton are a regular occurrence. (Injuries happen at all clubs but that doesn't concern Cafc fans)
    I was defending him. Previous poster said he was poor and I was disagreeing with him and thought it was justifiable that against the fresh legs he tired. Think he’s a valuable member of the squad. Particularly in the left of a back 3.
  • Options
    clive said:

The irony in a Millwall fan trying to play down years when you hold on to dear life about some record where we haven't beat you since 96 but only been in the same division as yous for 6 seasons out of a possible 36 seasons. 

Your crowds will dwindle again at some point, probably around the same time your fans are requesting the sack of one of your better managers in your history. The majority of your fans spend more time looking at blokes in another stand than actually watching the football.
    You okay?
    Absolutely fine mush, 

I watched my team of inexperienced youngsters play your near enough, full strength side off the pitch, meanwhile your fans threw bottles of fizzy drink and tried your best to pretend you don't care. One of your fans even didn't care so much he came on the Charlton match thread live to report how much he or his friends do not care. 

Jog on ya rotter 
    A simple 'no' would have been fine :wink:

I didn't care...until we equalised.
    He’s definitely not okay is he 😁
  • Options
    clive said:

The irony in a Millwall fan trying to play down years when you hold on to dear life about some record where we haven't beat you since 96 but only been in the same division as yous for 6 seasons out of a possible 36 seasons. 

You okay?
    Absolutely fine mush, 

I watched my team of inexperienced youngsters play your near enough, full strength side off the pitch, meanwhile your fans threw bottles of fizzy drink and tried your best to pretend you don't care. One of your fans even didn't care so much he came on the Charlton match thread live to report how much he or his friends do not care. 

Jog on ya rotter 
    A simple 'no' would have been fine :wink:

I didn't care...until we equalised.
    He’s definitely not okay is he 😁
    I don't know what this is, you're both Millwall fans but post more on here than Millwall forums I can only imagine. I understand it's probably nice to interact with people that aren't knuckle draggers for a change, but there's no baiting me here I am afraid lads. 

I openly despise your club & fanbase, that doesn't fluctuate on football results (especially friendlies). I enjoyed the game, thought it was good practice for both sets of players
  • Options
    Just wanted to share this pic of the numpty who got nicked. Don’t think he likes us very much. 

Leave ‘em alone. As you can see, it’s just kids…