Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Gillingham vs Charlton Athletic Pre-Season Friendly 18/7/2023 Match Thread

Comments

• Leuth said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Remember all about gaining match fitness, sharpness and really start to put into practice what's been worked on tactically outside of a training pitch.

It won't all be tidy football in the run up to the start of the season, but improvements will be made and new signings will come. 

p.s Kirk was pointless. 
    Of course Kirk was pointless, he was playing wide. He only works as a number 10 for us
    Yeah not sure yet so I won't dispute it. I have defended him a lot but he just seems to half arse every performance. 
  • Leuth said:
    SDAddick said:
    Leuth said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    DJ is giving them problems without really giving them any problems. 
    He'd be such a good player if he had any pace. Always said this 
    He's got a change of pace, but not quite enough of one. He's not a burner, and that's not really his game. I just feel like he's kind of "not quite" in so many regards. Again, if we had an overlapping LB he might be better as it would allow him to cut in, find spaces, and use his cleverness with the ball. But we're just not set up for him, and to be fair to him, we never really have been when he's been with us.
    Jackson forcing him to be a barely-glorified fullback may have broken him a bit as an attacking force 
    Agreed, and it just hasn't worked out for him for many reasons. I've said it many times, unlike with Chuks or Lavelle, Kirk was a signing who made sense in terms of getting what seemed like a good League One player. It hasn't worked out for him in part because we haven't played to his strengths, and in part because he just hasn't settled, at least on the pitch. It's a shame.
  • Right, back from going down the pub after a nightmare day trying to stop himself killing the plumber.
    No drinking gone out the window.
    Glass in hand, how was it truthfully?
  • Right, back from going down the pub after a nightmare day trying to stop himself killing the plumber.
    Typical pre-season friendly - Rust, yoof and some good stuff. 
    Decent enough… shaky at times defensively but expecting that to improve once Hector and Jones come in. Would’ve liked to see May stick away his penalty but you can’t have it all
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Right, back from going down the pub after a nightmare day trying to stop himself killing the plumber.
    Typical pre-season friendly - Rust, yoof and some good stuff. 
    They were probably all told to not get hurt.
  • Foxycafc said:
    Last time we ever hear Addicks to Victory

A sad, sad day for all
    I sat and listened to it through as we wont be bothered with Sandgaard's egopop ever again
  • Thank you 🥂
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2023
    I thought we did ok with the make up of the sides we put out being vastly different to what we will put out at the start of the season. Gillingham will be strong next season as they are being backed and we should have won 4-1, but 3-1 is similar to what Millwall did in the last Gillingham game (0-2). But ultimately the priority is still fitness.
  • overall nothing really impressed with system or players early days but if Holden wants us to be fittest in league theres a lot of work to do
  • edited July 2023
    Very good In parts my thoughts: 

*Isted is number 1 over AMB (terrible distribution and positioning for the goal) 
    *asimwe has impressed me more than egbo 
    * bakrin should be ahead of Thomas and elewere in the pecking order 
    *fraser looks leaner 
    *need to somehow offload Mcgrandles, Kirk and jaiyesimi. Kirk especially… unless we get Usain Bolt in at left back constantly over lapping, the bloke is completely ineffective. 

Finally my thoughts on the 352 formation - will be very effective if the correct wing backs are brought in and a strike partner for may to play off… 
    Erm? You sure on Bakrin? He was the shakiest out there including those that started! 
  • edited July 2023
    Dazzler21 said:
    Very good In parts my thoughts: 

*Isted is number 1 over AMB (terrible distribution and positioning for the goal) 
    *asimwe has impressed me more than egbo 
    * bakrin should be ahead of Thomas and elewere in the pecking order 
    *fraser looks leaner 
    *need to somehow offload Mcgrandles, Kirk and jaiyesimi. Kirk especially… unless we get Usain Bolt in at left back constantly over lapping, the bloke is completely ineffective. 

Finally my thoughts on the 352 formation - will be very effective if the correct wing backs are brought in and a strike partner for may to play off… 
    Erm? You sure on Bakrin? He was the shakiest out there including those that started! 
    Just my opinion mate, Thought he showed up well against orient out in Marbella… tonight he was up against some absolute unit who came on for gillingham too, thought he handled it adequately for someone who’s not really been in the picture… really don’t trust Thomas, gives the ball away quite a few times,  both he and elerewe always seem to have a mistake in them. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2023
    Based on that performance, the signings we are making and the new ownership, I am slightly starting to get excited for the season to start.

We were schooling them on the left side for about 15 minutes in the second half, no one can accuse CBT of being lazy, scary pace and if he does play bad it will be his decision making that lets him down, not his effort/energy levels, he moves a lot. Compare him to Kirk for instance and it's a completely different level. I think Kirk might be done here, I don't see him being a 10 as he isn't as clever as a player like Fraser or as aware as May (who I could see as a 10) and he can't beat a man on the wing. Always slows the game down and I think CBT and Campbell are far better options. Would be happy to see him moved on and wages spent elsewhere.

Bit annoyed my McGrandles performance, was hoping to see more of him after hearing how well he done for Cambridge but as soon as he came on we lost that control in the middle that we had with Dobson. I thought Dobson actually looked a complete level above today (which he is and should be) looked comfortable passing, didn't lose the ball and kept it cool, I think if Camara can be that box to box we have so desperately needed Dobbo will be the perfect anchor in that midfield, he slots into a centre back role nicely as well.

Special shout to all the youths tbh, they all look fairly decent, except maybe Aaron Henry who I expect to be at a higher level of play by now. 

I would say, if we sign another striker, a right winger, another midfielder, another centre back and a left back, we will comfortably hit play offs. As it stands I'm gonna say anywhere between 5-12th is where we are at, 5th being the absolute best case scenario of course.

I know it's of course unrealistic, but something like; Sam Nombe, Aaron Collins, Cameron Brannagan, Tayo Edun, Sessegnon and a centre back of Hector's quality and we would tear this league to shreds, it would probably be cheaper than staying down here for another season. 

Anyway TLDR; 

We looked decent, we need to move a few players on, we need at least 4-6 more in for a chance of autos.
  • edited July 2023
    1-3 Payne after a nice counter attack
    This is Payne's purpose. Not consistent enough to regularly start and affect games, but regardless of performance seems to pop up with goals and assists. You want him coming on with 15 minutes left in a game and a goal needed.
    No, you want him coming on when we’re so far ahead it doesn’t matter.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Roddy seems to have grown a foot and filled out over the last 12-18 months. 
    Gonna need a special pair of boots for that…
    You mean a prial, not a pair. 
  • I really liked what I saw about CBT. I got Terry's point about he should always go wide rtaher than cut in but I think he was wrong. You need to change it up and he cut in for his goal. When he did go wide it was so easy to push the ball forwards and outpace his man. We need to keep him fit.
  • https://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/sport/gillingham-v-charlton-match-reaction-290239/

Gillingham manager Neil Harris felt his side should have scored “four or five” past Charlton on Tuesday after a dominant first half performance.
    He needs to work on his excuses a bit more, is a bit rusty.

Still, at this early stage it's all about getting minutes into the vocal cords.
  • Never see the game these friendlies are just about getting fitness shape & togetherness into the team 
    So to get a decent win is a added bonus gives you confidence going forward 
  • Wasn’t there, didn’t watch, but for me we are woefully short in a number of areas. A long way off a top six team at the moment. Lot of work still to do.
  • Wasn’t there, didn’t watch, but for me we are woefully short in a number of areas. A long way off a top six team at the moment. Lot of work still to do.
    I’d imagine every club in our league is in a similar position, we’re in a stronger position than we have for several seasons where we only need 5/6 to look very comfortable numbers and quality wise.