Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Gillingham vs Charlton Athletic Pre-Season Friendly 18/7/2023 Match Thread

Comments

• Gills again seem to have grown into the game, even after the changes but we're taking longer. 
  • edited July 2023
    Sad truth is that we only have 4 outfield players who are definitely good enough for a promotion side. Hector, Fraser, Dobson and May.
    Leaburn may be, and so might Camara and Egbo. But we are currently well short of a promotion level first 11.
  • Roddy seems to have grown a foot and filled out over the last 12-18 months. 
  • DJ is giving them problems without really giving them any problems. 
  • Kirk struggling as per. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    DJ is giving them problems without really giving them any problems. 
    He'd be such a good player if he had any pace. Always said this 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Roddy seems to have grown a foot and filled out over the last 12-18 months. 
    Is that his first foot or has he got 3 feet right now?

• Leuth said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Agree. He was leaner before joining and looked a different player. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2023
    FT end of it was a nothing game.

We looked better in the final third but don't think it's unfair to say our defence (both sides) didn't give us the confidence from the back. 
  • thought the playing out from the back poor in the first half but that last 20mins very poor.
  • edited July 2023
    Good run out and result, and some good stuff before the changes, Andersom, Asiimwe, Campbell and Mitchell stood out...
  • Fraser was very quick to walk off at the end there. Thought he looked a bit annoyed. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Bakrin looking a bit shaky. 
    Looks out of place.
  • Leuth said:
    Dazzler21 said:

I'd still like to see him converted into a central midfielder
  • Leuth said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    He's got a change of pace, but not quite enough of one. He's not a burner, and that's not really his game. I just feel like he's kind of "not quite" in so many regards. Again, if we had an overlapping LB he might be better as it would allow him to cut in, find spaces, and use his cleverness with the ball. But we're just not set up for him, and to be fair to him, we never really have been when he's been with us.
  • Having watched that, my excitement with the takeover and transfers has been dimmed quite heavily! 

We look so far off it, no fluidity to our play and the constant desire to play 1 up front is dire.

pre season, I get that, but we look disjointed and in need of easily 5 more! 

Wingbacks/fullbacks, a striker or 2 as well as experienced wingers please! 

• Sponsored links:

• They're playing OUR song......
  • This might be our last time hearing "Addicks to Victory" after a match. And I'm going to miss it. It might not be a banger, but it gets stuck in your head.
  • SDAddick said:
    Leuth said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    He's got a change of pace, but not quite enough of one. He's not a burner, and that's not really his game. I just feel like he's kind of "not quite" in so many regards. Again, if we had an overlapping LB he might be better as it would allow him to cut in, find spaces, and use his cleverness with the ball. But we're just not set up for him, and to be fair to him, we never really have been when he's been with us.
    Jackson forcing him to be a barely-glorified fullback may have broken him a bit as an attacking force 
  • Thought Anderson, Asiimwe, Campbell  looked good.

Kirk was a complete waste of space imo.
  • Do we have to pay Royalties to use Addicks to Victory beyond now or is it gifted to the club... If so I'd keep it just for the moaners. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Remember all about gaining match fitness, sharpness and really start to put into practice what's been worked on tactically outside of a training pitch.

It won't all be tidy football in the run up to the start of the season, but improvements will be made and new signings will come. 

p.s Kirk was pointless. 
    Of course Kirk was pointless, he was playing wide. He only works as a number 10 for us