Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Gillingham vs Charlton Athletic Pre-Season Friendly 18/7/2023 Match Thread

Comments

• What we've got at the moment are 2 not particularly strong teams as both need to be of similar strength, thankfully when the season starts we don't have to change the whole XI at half time, so those 2 sides (+ a few more additions) will form a pretty decent matchday 16 with some solid back up
  • edited July 2023
    Southbank said:
    Sad truth is that we only have 4 outfield players who are definitely good enough for a promotion side. Hector, Fraser, Dobson and May.
    Leaburn may be, and so might Camara and Egbo. But we are currently well short of a promotion level first 11.
    Worth remembering that before his injury we were expecting to lose Ness to a bigger club in the summer window. Hopefully he'll regain his form now he's back.
    We haven't seen Lloyd Jones yet as well.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Very good In parts my thoughts: 

*Isted is number 1 over AMB (terrible distribution and positioning for the goal) 
    *asimwe has impressed me more than egbo 
    * bakrin should be ahead of Thomas and elewere in the pecking order 
    *fraser looks leaner 
    *need to somehow offload Mcgrandles, Kirk and jaiyesimi. Kirk especially… unless we get Usain Bolt in at left back constantly over lapping, the bloke is completely ineffective. 

Finally my thoughts on the 352 formation - will be very effective if the correct wing backs are brought in and a strike partner for may to play off… 
    Erm? You sure on Bakrin? He was the shakiest out there including those that started! 
    Just my opinion mate, Thought he showed up well against orient out in Marbella… tonight he was up against some absolute unit who came on for gillingham too, thought he handled it adequately for someone who’s not really been in the picture… really don’t trust Thomas, gives the ball away quite a few times,  both he and elerewe always seem to have a mistake in them. 
    Thought he had a very good game last night.
  • edited July 2023
    I like Thomas. He has a bit of quality and he showed it again last night but was a bit sloppy at times also. I think Greg Stubley got it right when he said it is fine playing it from the back but you have to know when the danger is coming from the press and be decisive and boot it forwards. Thomas was guilty of not doing that once, possibly twice. I think we should also note that the defence lacked Hector and I think Thomas plays better with him.
  • Thomas for me always looks shaky at CB, I was surprised the club offered him a new contract but not too worried as I expect if everyone is fit our starting back three in the league will be Hector, Ness & Jones. 
  • Based on the friendlies (and fitness) so far I'd be going:

Isted
    Ness - Hector - Thomas
    Egbo - Camara - Dobson - Fraser - B.Taylor
    May - Campbell

I'm not entirely happy with that by any means, but there's signs of potential.
  • edited July 2023
    Even at this stage we are playing catch up.
    Jones is weeks behind and Leaburn won't be fit for selection until September.
    Camará lost a season in his career and we have 🤞that he can overcome two hernias to be the sharp player from Plymouth.
    Ness is finding his feet again and hopefully Hector's twinge isn't anything  serious because he is the Rock at the back.

The two team selection always looks so random as the partnership's are not there and the link up play which is required is hit and miss.

CBT is our X factor player because he can beat players on the outside with pace on both flanks or cut inside, unfortunately he can also be Shite! But that are League 1 players for you as they have flaws. 

Made it clear that I wanted Alfie May after two very good seasons at Cheltenham. Totally different to Leaburn which can be a plus as they have can assist each other and link up in what ever formation Holden see fit. That is for September onwards when Miles is fit. Leaburn shows talent BUT that's two injuries in his short adult career. Central strikers need to be robust as they go to war each game with CB'S (quote from Persona non Grata ex striker)

May missed a pen so maybe he can't walk on the River Medway but he is keen as mustard and should be an asset if emulating his course and distance form he showed at Cheltenham. Alfie is still going off a light weight !

I will go with the recommendation of Edun at LB from CL members but after the disappointment of Kirk after the big build up from some I will reserve Judgement IF he signs but being left footed that will be one left field choice that makes sense.
  • edited July 2023
    1-3 Payne volley from the edge of the box, thats better
    Thought he was in the six yard box?

We looked quite decent in the second half. 
    It was a friendly, and they were working on patterns of play, so kept playing out from the back under pressure. In a real match they’re more likely to play the long ball. But you won’t get as much value from a friendly if you don’t stick with the plan. So Thomas did ok in my view. Payne gave the ball in more dangerous positions, however. 
    I think we’re all guilty of making up our minds about players too quickly (I remember thinking Aribo was a bit of a liability for example). 
    Two players I’d written off I’m now trying to give a chance to are McGrandles and Kirk. But the acid test will be how they do in real matches, and it’s possible neither will be in the starting lineups any time soon. 
  • Didn’t see last night game, but seen the other three matches. How did Campbell play last night excluding the early goal? I have been really impressed by him this pre-season. He does seem to be the unlucky with not fitting into this new formation. 
  • edited July 2023
    Didn’t see last night game, but seen the other three matches. How did Campbell play last night excluding the early goal? I have been really impressed by him this pre-season. He does seem to be the unlucky with not fitting into this new formation. 
    Good pressure and closing, ran into dead ends a bit, but also dropped to receive the ball and spread it out.

He attacked the wings well when drifting wider, but also ran at the defence when more central. 

I certainly see him having the potential to play either on the wing in a forward 3 or as a 10 behind the 2. He'll make mistakes but he never stops and is always willing to be open to receive passes. 

• Sponsored links:

• Dangerous business judging whether a youth player can make it during pre season. It's also funny as every football experiences this feeling!
  • mendonca said:
    Dangerous business judging whether a youth player can make it during pre season. It's also funny as every football experiences this feeling!
    Fair, not sure if you're referring to Campbell but I don't see him as one of the youth anymore, he's one of the first 18 for me. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    mendonca said:
    Dangerous business judging whether a youth player can make it during pre season. It's also funny as every football experiences this feeling!
    Fair, not sure if you're referring to Campbell but I don't see him as one of the youth anymore, he's one of the first 18 for me. 
    I presumed he was talking about Asiimwe

Campbell is definitely a first teamer this coming year
  • I really like Campbell, much better player then some fans give him credit for but seems he may have to learn a new position to be a regular in our team this year, well taken finish last night will certainly help his confidence. 
  • Yes, Campbell is part of our playing squad. The point I'm making above was the mistake many made (inc ownership) when assessing Deji, Chin, Clayden. 
  • ValleyBen said:
    I really like Campbell, much better player then some fans give him credit for but seems he may have to learn a new position to be a regular in our team this year, well taken finish last night will certainly help his confidence. 

He showed last season how important he is to our front line 
    Reads the game always looking for that lay-off definitely stands out 
    Doesn't need help with confidence his got bags of that 
    Can see a few clubs coming in for him come the next window 
  • Personally thought we looked poor defensively last night and I am increasingly thinking Isted is going to end up being the Number 1 keeper. There was a 30 mins spell in the 1st half where we completely took our foot of the pedal and were effectively coasting. A better team would have exploited that. Clearly something was said at half time as the work rate upped significantly for the first 15-20 mins of second half.

Not convinced the players are completely happy with the 3-5-2 formation and equally not convinced we have the wing back positions sorted yet.

May will need a partner, but it is safe to say he is a proper player. His all round game looks excellent.

The continued absence of Jones and little comment about when he will come into the reckoning is a concern as is the absence of Hector and no mention (as far as I can see) of why he didn't play.

Plenty of time to put things right with additions to the squad. As a minimum I'd say we need a left wing back (ideally Sess as he can cover both sides) a couple of forward options and another attacking midfielder to create. If Elewere and Mitchell are going to be around I think we are probably covered at Centre Back.
  • Sponsored links:

• Wasn’t there, didn’t watch, but for me we are woefully short in a number of areas. A long way off a top six team at the moment. Lot of work still to do.
    Hard to judge as our first team wasn't on the pitch. It's more about who belongs in the team/squad.
  • What we've got at the moment are 2 not particularly strong teams as both need to be of similar strength, thankfully when the season starts we don't have to change the whole XI at half time, so those 2 sides (+ a few more additions) will form a pretty decent matchday 16 with some solid back up
    Having 2 teams of similar strength will never be achievable
    Having 2 teams of similar strength will never be achievable
    well it is, and we have 2 teams of similar strength....it's just that they aren't very strong!!.....people seem to watch friendlies and say we are weak in certain areas, that may be so - but until now we've not really seen a 'first XI'.

pretty sure we'll see some stronger sides for both the Millwall and Aberdeen games and get more on an insight of our starting 11....plus I'm sure there's at least another 4/5 incoming (and probably a couple out)

• Pre season games are not about putting out full strength teams, it’s about getting some match  fitness and showcasing weaknesses. Putting out full strength sides gives your league opposition more opportunity to determine how to play against you  when the season starts and if we win comfortably sends a message out to the clubs owners that we don’t need to sign anybody else. Making everybody feel comfortable and complacent at this stage is not the object of the exercise 
  • I have very much enjoyed and been absorbed by the pre season so far this year.
  • edited July 2023
    If we look at the teams we have put out in isolation against Gills, how many players are going to start the season opener from the first side we put out and then the second side? Dobson didn't play with Fraser, Camara didn't play at all.  Is Campbell going to play up front with May, possibly but not certainly. No Hector in defence. We can't read anything into it really except given the side we put out we seem to have some squad depth.

Of course the same may apply to Gills. It felt to me they were playing their best players in their first team, but did they mix it up like us? They may have done as I am not that knowledgable about them. That is a caveat. 
  • Yes, he has earned a place on the bench for me and then it is a case of taking opportunities as they present themselves.