Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Alfie May - signed for Birmingham (p56 - confirmed & video message from him)

Comments

• My favourite player of the season so far by a country mile. It feels like he has been with us for years the way he works so hard and celebrates goals (his own or others). Even at this part of the season I would not bet against him getting POTY at the club or being in the L1 team of the season.

Would love to see him in the Championship with us but I wonder how he would fare the next level up if we ever get there?

• Just love the bloke !! His attitude is first rate and he is a goal scorer I said at the time I honestly don’t understand how we bought him for £250k surely that was always a steal ? That equates to 2xAlfies=1xKirk just madness
  • He knows where the goal is and realises that the harder you try and the more shots you get off the more goals you’ll score. Natural goal scorer. 
  • 11 league goals in 14 and now 26 in 38 league games this calendar year.

Fella is red hot in front of goal and barring injury or suspension will hit 25 league goals for us this season 

Money well spent in the summer. God knows where we would be without him coming in. 

With our defence we need him to keep scoring 
  • Stewart said:
    Our next player to score 50 goals for us? 

The last player to score 50 was Jonnie Jackson then before that Carl Leaburn. 
    That’s astonishing 
  • Stewart said:

Hopefully Alfie will score his 50 quicker than Carl's!
  • Stewart said:

That’s astonishing 
    It is but not when one considers that we rarely have these days many players that make 100 appearances (we don't have currently any that have done so in the League) and any forward that knows where the back of the net is, such as Taylor and Grant, has been able to leave us because we didn't lock them into long term contracts. Fortunately, that's not the case with Alfie. 

I think that many of us were hoping that Alfie would be that 20-25 goal man. Whisper it but there is a possibility of him reaching the 30 goal mark, last achieved by Killer in 1975-76 with 31 and the Club record is 33 (Ralph Allen in 1934-35). Now imagine what a cult hero (beyond the one he is already) would become if he managed to get another 23 goals in the final 31 matches and beat that record. It's still a very tall order because of the threat of injury and suspension but who of us is brave enough to say that he can't?

I think there is one thing that Alfie has achieved more than anything. And that is to stop Golfie moaning about the fact that we don't have a forward who can score goals!
  • Sponsored links:

• Chunes said:
    Right it might be a bit early for this, but if he was happy to, I would extend his contract by 4 years at least.

He doesn't strike me as the type of player to ever get lazy, I don't see his age slowing him down and he seems to love playing here. 

The exact kind of player I'd love to see finish his career here, what a role model for the youth.
    I'm not sure retaining him til he's 36+ is the best idea. 33 with a 1-year extension option maybe!
    Look how many players are still successful in their mid to late 30s still now, I think its worth the risk to avoid any speculation in the future but that's just me.

Swisdom said:
    Right it might be a bit early for this, but if he was happy to, I would extend his contract by 4 years at least.

He doesn't strike me as the type of player to ever get lazy, I don't see his age slowing him down and he seems to love playing here. 

The exact kind of player I'd love to see finish his career here, what a role model for the youth.
    Best of all he wants to start doing his coaching badges because that's what he wants to do after the game.  Ultimately he wants to become a manager.  Could he be the next Jason Pearce for us?

I think one thing that helps him stay grounded is that he was a roofer and builder just about 7 years ago so he's almost seeing it as his second chance so he wants to make the most of it - you can see that in the way he plays
    That's how I see it. Only fairly recently he turned professional so he doesn't take it for granted like your typical naturally gifted players with bad attitudes.

Players like him, Dobbo, CBT are what can get us back climbing the football leagues. The type of players I actually don't mind making the effort to travel round the country to watch as I know they actually give a s**t and will put a shift in. 
  • Such a shame that we have such a goalscorer without a defence.

We're going to end up like one of those bloody mid table teams, who are that tripe that they manage to finish there with a forward who scores 20+ ffs. 

• mendonca said:
    Such a shame that we have such a goalscorer without a defence.

We're going to end up like one of those bloody mid table teams, who are that tripe that they manage to finish there with a forward who scores 20+ ffs. 

King Arthur - 72/73 25 League goals - 11th place
    King Arthur - 73/74 19 League goals - 14th place 
  • Feed him bangers and he will score… 🎶
  • Waiting for the injury…
    I get the cynicism and the tongue in cheek comment because that is what happens with us. However, in his three previous seasons at Doncaster and Cheltenham, Alfie made no less than 151 appearances. Injury can happen at any time, of course, but I can't recall the last player we signed that averaged 50 games a season over the previous three years. With some exceptions, a lot of our signings have come here with a history of injuries and/or to revive their flagging careers. Alfie doesn't fit that profile.  

• We are very lucky that he wanted to come back to the south east and had a desire to play for us. Such a great character and excellent goal scorer.  Lyle taylor take note: you can be a decent striker and not a dick. 
    WUM   :)

• Stewart said:

Mad stat, makes some sense when you think about it but still would have expected that someone like Euell hit 50.
  • Sponsored links:

• Where's the flag button 
  • Sort of like Lyle Taylor with all the wankness removed.

Great player.
  • Honestly could be the best finisher we've had since Darren Bent. Seems like an absolutely top guy too which is a bonus

Great player.
    I don't think he's as complete as LT, but he's certainly a worthy replacement. 

Great player.
    Other than being a good striker who scores goals, I see very few similarities between the two of them tbh
  • imagine the pair of them together
  • May was a goalscorer so we shouldn't be surprised that he still is. Great signing.