Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Alfie May - signed for Birmingham (p56 - confirmed & video message from him)

Comments

• Just out of interest, does anyone know how Alfie is doing, goal wise up against Lyle from his time here in league one, with the same amount of games played?

I guess it would be in a programme from that time , think Lyle ended up with 25 league goals, wonder if Alfie will get similar?

I love the energy, enthusiasm, and work rate he brings to the side, as well as goals, obviously.
    Just had a brief look, think Taylor had 5 from his first 9 league games, so May is one up on him.
    14 in 9 v 13 in 9 now, so May is still ahead.

Considering Taylor got 25 goals, hopefully May is on for more.
  • May’s less selfish than Taylor was though so I don’t mind if he isn’t.
  • shirty5 said:
    Who was the last player, before May, to score 8 goals in 8 League games for us? I'm going for Andy Hunt purely because I recall him scoring two hat-tricks in consecutive matches
    Derek Hales 16 league goals in his first 13 league games of the 1976/1977 season before he was then sold to Derby after 3 more league games in December 
    That being the case, then May must have had the best start any Charlton player has had in the last 46 years. We were looking for a 20 goal a season man but if he stays fit, avoids suspension and retains his form, he could hit 30. He has 9 in 12 and needs 21 in 33 to achieve that. Tall order but if he can get 23 and 20 in the last two seasons for a side that, in total, have scored 4 goals this season, then, perhaps, that isn't out of the question (especially as I don't believe many of his there were penalties there). 
    Well he's fucked then
  • edited October 2023
    JaShea99 said:
    May’s less selfish than Taylor was though so I don’t mind if he isn’t.
    Taylor was unselfish that season he tee'd up KAG quite a few times in the first half of the season. He tried to put in Parker a good number of times too. 
  • Off_it said:
    I'm glad we binned him off when he didn't score after his first couple of games.. 
    When he fluffed those penalties it was obvious he was a dud.
  • Sponsored links:

• He could easily have 5 more, but that shows his persona and skillset....he keeps focused and at it.
  • When was the last time we had a player finish top goal scorer for the entire division (long way to go on that for May). Bent, Mendonca and Taylor didn’t. I don’t think BWP did either. Did Andy Hunt?
  • se9addick said:
    One of the best signings we’ve made in ages
    Agreed, Thanks Thomas & Martin

:-)

Erm I think you find 'twas the black box ;)
  • edited November 2023
    He is good... but don't forget Stockley's defending at set pieces!

Jokes aside, seems like he loves playing here and what a player he is. Finally we've got a proper striker and he's brilliant.
  • Sponsored links:

• Just loved the way he celebrated the goals last night, like a genuine love and appreciation for the travelling support

Love the guy keep them coming Alfie 👏
  • May's enthusiasm and workrate will just add to his popularity. He seems very grounded and it's refreshing to see.
  • edited November 2023
    Right it might be a bit early for this, but if he was happy to, I would extend his contract by 4 years at least.

He doesn't strike me as the type of player to ever get lazy, I don't see his age slowing him down and he seems to love playing here. 

The exact kind of player I'd love to see finish his career here, what a role model for the youth.
    I'm not sure retaining him til he's 36+ is the best idea. 33 with a 1-year extension option maybe!