Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Alfie May - signed for Birmingham (p56 - confirmed & video message from him)

Comments

• When was the last time we had a player that was desperate to come to us and made the fact known ?
    David Davis 😬😬
  • When was the last time we had a player that was desperate to come to us and made the fact known ?
    Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink?
  • Gotta love Alfie, needs to get himself the Costa app though, 1 free drink when you get to 10 drinks, could save himself a fortune!
    And a reusable cup. I recommend Contigo no spill 
  • The grub does look similar to what we used to have after school football. That surprises me! 

But I'm not sure I've seen enough to be able to link our injuries with baked beans.
  • Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    The food at the training ground looks like a Butlins buffet
    I was quite impressed that the poached eggs were still soft and runny despite clearly not being made to order.

If they have such things as poached eggs on a Butlin's buffet, I would wager that they would be harder and drier than something that's typically hard and dry.
    The staff are no doubt capable and just working with the resources and budget they are given. Personally I would not be happy eating that food every day and was quite surprised by the look of it. 
    In fairness there was quite a lot of variety:-

Toast, beans and egg
    Egg beans and toast
    Beans toast and egg
    egg on toast
    beans on toast
    toast
    Yoghurt
    fruit
    fruit and yoghurt
    etc etc

In fact I think you could probably go a whole season without the same combination twice.

next year when we are in the championship, no doubt the menu will expand to include perhaps a variety of breads with which to create toast, such as brown, white, wholemeal, pumpernickel, tiger etc etc.
    Sounds like our centre backs last season.
  • Scoham said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    I was quite impressed that the poached eggs were still soft and runny despite clearly not being made to order.

If they have such things as poached eggs on a Butlin's buffet, I would wager that they would be harder and drier than something that's typically hard and dry.
    The staff are no doubt capable and just working with the resources and budget they are given. Personally I would not be happy eating that food every day and was quite surprised by the look of it. 

Toast, beans and egg
    Egg beans and toast
    Beans toast and egg
    egg on toast
    beans on toast
    toast
    Yoghurt
    fruit
    fruit and yoghurt
    etc etc

In fact I think you could probably go a whole season without eating the same combination twice.

next year when we are in the championship, no doubt the menu will expand to include perhaps a variety of breads with which to create toast, such as brown, white, wholemeal, pumpernickel, tiger etc etc.
    We ran out of nice breads when Southall and his mates ate them all.
    Had plenty of bitches though.
  • Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

Toast, beans and egg
    Egg beans and toast
    Beans toast and egg
    egg on toast
    beans on toast
    toast
    Yoghurt
    fruit
    fruit and yoghurt
    etc etc

In fact I think you could probably go a whole season without eating the same combination twice.

Eggs and Spam
    Eggs, Sausage and Spam
    Spam, Spam, Spam, Eggs and Beans
    etc............

• Sponsored links:

• Like to see Wengers view on the dietary value of our buffet.
  • FYI the circus Alfie went to is just a cheap and cheerful travelling circus that sticks around down here for a couple of months per year and it's definitely aimed at kids.  It's about £8 a ticket and an inexpensive night out with the family.  I'm going next week actually :-)
  • Who was the last player, before May, to score 8 goals in 8 League games for us? I'm going for Andy Hunt purely because I recall him scoring two hat-tricks in consecutive matches
  • Now joint 4th top scorer after last night’s brace

- Devante Cole (Barnsley): 9
    - Jamie Reid (Stevenage): 8
    - Dion Charles (Bolton): 7
    - Alfie May: 6

Bishop (Pompey), Waghorn (Derby) and Wyke (Wigan) also on 6.
    After today…

Cole 9
    Bishop 8
    Reid 8
    Charles 7
    May 7

Rhodes, Waghorn and Wyke all on 6.
    October 21 update:

Cole 9
    Bishop 8
    Reid 8
    Charles 8
    May 8
    Rhodes 8
    I’m quite surprised Devante Cole didn’t get a move last summer .  Not a natural goal scorer but I’d have thought a good enough footballer to impact the championship 
  • If he manages to stay fit he'll finish the league's top scorer. No doubt in my mind. 
  • Best signing for a fee we've had in more years than I can remember. 
  • He is a gem of a player and is becoming a real fans’ favourite. To be playing out of position and still knocking them in says all you need to know. Hard work, positive attitude, outgoing and always using his strongest attributes to our advantage. Love the guy and hope he gets a go at Championship level with us.
  • He is a gem of a player and is becoming a real fans’ favourite. To be playing out of position and still knocking them in says all you need to know. Hard work, positive attitude, outgoing and always using his strongest attributes to our advantage. Love the guy and hope he gets a go at Championship level with us.
    I wouldn't even say he's playing out of position, he's dropping dee  rather than playing as the striker furthest forward but looks equally comfortable in either role.

He's not playing as a 10 in the way Fraser would if we played him there. Watching the stream yesterday I thought he looked more like he was alongside Aneke rather than as the most attacking player in a midfield three.
  • Sponsored links:

• A lot of the time Aneke was pulling out to the right and Alfie was the furthest forward through the middle.
  • Scoham said:
    He is a gem of a player and is becoming a real fans’ favourite. To be playing out of position and still knocking them in says all you need to know. Hard work, positive attitude, outgoing and always using his strongest attributes to our advantage. Love the guy and hope he gets a go at Championship level with us.
    I wouldn't even say he's playing out of position, he's dropping dee  rather than playing as the striker furthest forward but looks equally comfortable in either role.

He's not playing as a 10 in the way Fraser would if we played him there. Watching the stream yesterday I thought he looked more like he was alongside Aneke rather than as the most attacking player in a midfield three.

I see it as a 4231/442, playing through the middle May tends to drop deeper, when the balls out wide, pushing up more alongside the strike partner. 
  • Scoham said:
    He is a gem of a player and is becoming a real fans’ favourite. To be playing out of position and still knocking them in says all you need to know. Hard work, positive attitude, outgoing and always using his strongest attributes to our advantage. Love the guy and hope he gets a go at Championship level with us.

Reading played a 4-4-2 so it was easy for May to play further forward and not leave us outnumbered in midfield. 

It will be interesting to see if we set up the same way next week against Bolton as May will probably have to help out more in midfield if we do 
  • He gets the coffee's in but doesn't have the Costa app for the loyalty pts!
  • Scoham said:

I watched his run to score his goal several times on the highlights ....... as Corey gets fed the ball wide on the left wing, Alfie is leading the line centrally and Leaburn level further right. Corey takes the ball all the way to the line, as Leaburn makes the attacking run ....... but Alfie takes his time drifting into the box - when Corey clips the ball back, Alfie is right place right time - and despite the late panic challenge by a defender, hadn't been properly marked having arrived in the box late.

That seems to be the tactic, Alfie leads the counter but Leaburn makes the run, leaving Alfie to arrive late in the box and often not picked up.

• edited October 2023
    Form is a funny thing and how it affects fans' perspective. Ask any Cheltenham fan on May's signing by us and they would have told us that we had bought an absolute gem of a footballer and goalscorer. But, after four games, he was in danger of becoming Charltonised when he failed to convert the limited opportunities he had but if he missed a sitter now then I'm sure most would accept that this was one of those things that happens to all strikers. Yet nothing whatsoever had changed so far as the level he has been playing at for the last three seasons or his work rate or his ability to bang in goals. It seems that he had to do it for us before some actually believed he is the player he is even though, unlike say a defender, everything that May had achieved was so easily quantifiable. 

So, perhaps we have been so traumatised and cynical given a lot of the somewhat unsuccessful transfers we have made that the immediate reaction is to consign a player to the "bin of dud signings". And perhaps, for that reason, we should give some players a bit more of a chance before we write them off especially as it does take many a little while before they start to show their true potential. We might have become Charltonised by all the goings on in the last decade or so but we probably could do better than take the players with us to that dark place. 
  • Who was the last player, before May, to score 8 goals in 8 League games for us? I'm going for Andy Hunt purely because I recall him scoring two hat-tricks in consecutive matches
    Derek Hales 16 league goals in his first 13 league games of the 1976/1977 season before he was then sold to Derby after 3 more league games in December 
  • Now joint 4th top scorer after last night’s brace

- Devante Cole (Barnsley): 9
    - Jamie Reid (Stevenage): 8
    - Dion Charles (Bolton): 7
    - Alfie May: 6

Bishop (Pompey), Waghorn (Derby) and Wyke (Wigan) also on 6.
    After today…

Cole 9
    Bishop 8
    Reid 8
    Charles 7
    May 7

Rhodes, Waghorn and Wyke all on 6.
    October 21 update:

Cole 9
    Bishop 8
    Reid 8
    Charles 8
    May 8
    Rhodes 8
    Oct 25:

Cole 10
    Reid 9
    May 9
    Rhodes 9
    Hoskins 8
    Bishop 8
    Charles 8
  • shirty5 said:
    Who was the last player, before May, to score 8 goals in 8 League games for us? I'm going for Andy Hunt purely because I recall him scoring two hat-tricks in consecutive matches
    Derek Hales 16 league goals in his first 13 league games of the 1976/1977 season before he was then sold to Derby after 3 more league games in December 
    That being the case, then May must have had the best start any Charlton player has had in the last 46 years. We were looking for a 20 goal a season man but if he stays fit, avoids suspension and retains his form, he could hit 30. He has 9 in 12 and needs 21 in 33 to achieve that. Tall order but if he can get 23 and 20 in the last two seasons for a side that, in total, have scored 4 goals this season, then, perhaps, that isn't out of the question (especially as I don't believe many of his there were penalties there).