Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Just Stop Oil protestors.....

Comments

• edited July 2023
    This thread was started because some people don't like the actions of Just Stop Oil, whose aim is to stop the opening of new oil and gas fields, which will only swell the coffers of the big corporate organisations and do nothing to enhance the UK's energy security or reduce prices for the ordinary people of this country.

Today our Government announced the new trade deal with the Indo-Pacific Bloc which could be worth £1.8bn in 10 years time or 0.80% of UK GDP, which is pretty small. What they didn't tell you is that have signed away Britain’s environmental and welfare standards to get the deal over the line, notably failing to ban imports of food from chickens kept in battery cages, and lowering tariffs on palm oil produced on Malaysian plantations that endanger remaining orangutan populations, in effect reneging on deforestation pledges made at the UN climate conference in Glasgow in 2021. Campaigners further warn the Pacific trade deal isn’t a one-time set of rules, but rather gives corporate lobbyists permanent power to force governments to lower standards over time, putting further vital standards at risk, and local farmers at a disadvantage.

Britain has also failed to secure an opt-out from the so-called ‘corporate court’ system, which allows corporations and rich investors from partner countries to sue Britain in secretive international ‘courts’ for any action they believe is unfair. These courts have already proven themselves an obstacle to phasing out climate-destroying fossil fuels and improving  standards to protect our health system or improve animal welfare.

I think Just Stop Oil are fully justified in highlighting the harm that is being done. The anger shown on here to the Just Stop Oil protesters, would be far better directed towards those who are damaging the planet through corporate greed and signing away the UKs control just so that they can prove that they can get a deal outside the EU.

https://www.globaljustice.org.uk/news/britains-accession-to-pacific-trade-deal-is-betrayal-of-environmental-and-welfare-standards/

• This thread was started because some people don't like the actions of Just Stop Oil, whose aim is to stop the opening of new oil and gas fields, which will only swell the coffers of the big corporate organisations and do nothing to enhance the UK's energy security or reduce prices for the ordinary people of this country.

Today our Government announced the new trade deal with the Indo-Pacific Bloc which could be worth £1.8bn in 10 years time or 0.80% of UK GDP, which is pretty small. What they didn't tell you is that have signed away Britain’s environmental and welfare standards to get the deal over the line, notably failing to ban imports of food from chickens kept in battery cages, and lowering tariffs on palm oil produced on Malaysian plantations that endanger remaining orangutan populations, in effect reneging on deforestation pledges made at the UN climate conference in Glasgow in 2021. Campaigners further warn the Pacific trade deal isn’t a one-time set of rules, but rather gives corporate lobbyists permanent power to force governments to lower standards over time, putting further vital standards at risk, and local farmers at a disadvantage.

Britain has also failed to secure an opt-out from the so-called ‘corporate court’ system, which allows corporations and rich investors from partner countries to sue Britain in secretive international ‘courts’ for any action they believe is unfair. These courts have already proven themselves an obstacle to phasing out climate-destroying fossil fuels and improving  standards to protect our health system or improve animal welfare.

I think Just Stop Oil are fully justified in highlighting the harm that is being done. The anger shown on here to the Just Stop Oil protesters, would be far better directed towards those who are damaging the planet through corporate greed and signing away the UKs control just so that they can prove that they can get a deal outside the EU.

https://www.globaljustice.org.uk/news/britains-accession-to-pacific-trade-deal-is-betrayal-of-environmental-and-welfare-standards/

I too think Just Stop Oil are fully justified in highlighting the harm that is being done. I just don’t agree with some of the things they are doing to highlight it.
  • When was the last time anyone bought a chicken and asked whether it had a two week holiday in the Seychelles and travelled by business class before it was eaten. 
  • This thread was started because some people don't like the actions of Just Stop Oil, whose aim is to stop the opening of new oil and gas fields, which will only swell the coffers of the big corporate organisations and do nothing to enhance the UK's energy security or reduce prices for the ordinary people of this country.

I too think Just Stop Oil are fully justified in highlighting the harm that is being done. I just don’t agree with some of the things they are doing to highlight it..

I too think Just Stop Oil are fully justified in highlighting the harm that is being done. I just don’t agree with some of the things they are doing to highlight it.
    What do you suggest they do, it has at least highlighted the problem. I doubt many who have posted against their actions would even have been aware of the proposal to open up new oil and gas fields. 
  • Croydon said:
    I think I need slightly better confirmation of identification before I’m outraged at that. 
    The holiday was in 2020, but that typically misleading headline is all most will read. 
    So? She still flew there. She drives a car too. 
    I heard she eats food too and actually breathes. 

Disgrace. 
    It’s hypocritical. Bang on about climate change yet fly and drive a car. 
    What a terrible argument. 

You can be against climate change and the major issues facing the world without living like a monk unable to participate in society. 
    And yet people are being told they don’t care about climate change, because even tho they do the same as you in trying to reduce their carbon footprint, they just don’t support JSO disruption tactics.
    And that's a fine position to have. But the current status quo leads to our planet becoming inhabitable so something needs to change. Our little changes aren't enough because the big boys are more concerned about only being worth 5 billion rather than 6. 
  • cafctom said:
    ME14 - All the lengthy posts pointing out what the government are/are not doing, and the multiple links to news stories. 1-2 people may be trying to argue against it, but I suspect the majority agree with what you’re saying.

But it seems like you’re continually missing the point that it’s not JSO mission that many are against, it’s the way they go about doing it. 

You can post all the links educating people of the gravity of the situation. And like I said before, I actually prefer that approach to educating people to promote change. But everytime someone goes and glues themselves to the road or protests a wedding, then it actually takes the messaging back a couple of steps IMO. It reeks of ‘look at me’ attention seeking, and therefore people end up talking about them rather than talking about the cause.

Like it or not, JSO are not helping the situation whatsoever with what they’re doing. They’re just pissing people off, and potentially putting themselves/others in danger. 

(And yes, I know it’s no comparison to the danger we face as a planet etc etc etc, before anyone wades in to say it) 
    Quite a few comments have been from people who still believe that man made Climate Change is a myth, so if just one of those has a rethink from what has been posted to counteract that idea, then it will have been worth it. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Croydon said:
    I think I need slightly better confirmation of identification before I’m outraged at that. 
    The holiday was in 2020, but that typically misleading headline is all most will read. 

Disgrace. 
    I gave up trying to be consistent (aka not a hypocrite) when I realised I would have to stop living, literally, to be the most environmentally friendly.

I will change my lifestyle as much as I can stomach, but no more.

However  I will support those with policies that aim to reduce greenhouse gasses, as this is the only way of making sufficient impact.
  • cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    ME14 - All the lengthy posts pointing out what the government are/are not doing, and the multiple links to news stories. 1-2 people may be trying to argue against it, but I suspect the majority agree with what you’re saying.

But it seems like you’re continually missing the point that it’s not JSO mission that many are against, it’s the way they go about doing it. 

You can post all the links educating people of the gravity of the situation. And like I said before, I actually prefer that approach to educating people to promote change. But everytime someone goes and glues themselves to the road or protests a wedding, then it actually takes the messaging back a couple of steps IMO. It reeks of ‘look at me’ attention seeking, and therefore people end up talking about them rather than talking about the cause.

Like it or not, JSO are not helping the situation whatsoever with what they’re doing. They’re just pissing people off, and potentially putting themselves/others in danger. 

(And yes, I know it’s no comparison to the danger we face as a planet etc etc etc, before anyone wades in to say it) 
    Quite a few comments have been from people who still believe that man made Climate Change is a myth, so if just one of those has a rethink from what has been posted to counteract that idea, then it will have been worth it. 
    I can’t speak for those on this thread as I don’t know them personally. However, I do know people whose stance towards the overall issue has gone the opposite way because of the likes of JSO/XR’s antagonistic tactics.

People on the whole act and think emotionally just as much as they do logically. And if JSO continue this mindset of thinking they should disrupt the lives of regular people so that everyone is forced to look at them, then they’ll be sending more people in the opposite direction. That might be a tough one for the far left of the political spectrum to admit, but that’s how these things tend to go.
    I've been nowhere near the far left of the political spectrum for most of my life as those who post on the HoC threads will know.

Having started their campaign by doing actions that severely inconvenieced a lot of people, they seem to have moved on to far less disruptive actions. They still gain publicity because of earlier activities, but fewer people are being  inconvenienced, so seems quite effective to me.
  • MrOneLung said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Deforestation for meat production is a direct increase of CO2 and decrease of Oxygen.
    Environmental protestors could target fast food businesses.
    Why fast food specifically?
    I would reckon because of the volumes and reach of fast food businesses.
    You never know, one unintended consequences and side benefit might even be an improvement in public health and a decrease in obesity.
    Not following. What consequence or outcome are you expecting the protest to have? What would the request of these outlets be?
    I said that deforestation is an environmental problem. Deforestation for the meat industry.
    One outcome for protests might be to raise awareness of the problem. A lot of people know about the fossil fuel issue, I reckon not so many know about the issues caused by our eating habits.
    The outlets might create more attractive non meat offerings, and decrease the meat ones, like the double burgers and suchlike. Maybe make them twice the price, three times even, to fund a sincere and realistic reversal of deforestation.
    That’s a lot of people’s jobs you want to change if you target fast food. Not sure how you would balance that all financially and socially. Nor why you wouldn’t be better targeting farmers say or supermarkets. 

We need to be realistic about any protests. 

I think health education including diet is getting better generally. 
    We are very likely all going to change familiar ways of life faced with the climate crisis.
    So no need to put peoples jobs at risk in the meantime then?
    I was thinking that cooking a veggie burger would be the same job as cooking a meat one. And a tree planting job would be the same as deforestation.
    Most people don’t want to eat a veggie burger though. 
    You are likely to be right but maybe people can be persuaded if it means their grandchildren won’t die of pollution.

What do you suggest they do, it has at least highlighted the problem. I doubt many who have posted against their actions would even have been aware of the proposal to open up new oil and gas fields. 
    I think most people realise what the problem is.
    Unless the entire world comes together to stop what is a catastrophy awaiting us then we as a species are in big trouble  .
    This problem will or won't be decided by the countries of the world coming together with a plan.
    It will not be solved by a bunch of well meaning idiots disrupting people going about their every day business and trying to get through what are very challenging times for most of us.
    I was laughed at when I suggested writing to your MP, especially if it is a Tory, but if enough people who care about what is happening, were to do that, politicians might sit up and take notice.
  • seth plum said:
    A lot of people enjoy eating meat but stopping can do a lot of good in so many ways, and if a person is feeling helpless in the face of the climate crisis it is definitely one way of helping.
    A lot of people enjoy bullying ME14 and don’t want to give that up too.
    Says the man who hates everyone who voted Tory and Brexit. 
    And refuses to forgive her even though she now regrets both.
  • Rothko said:
    Croydon said:

Disgrace. 

You can be against climate change and the major issues facing the world without living like a monk unable to participate in society. 
    E fucking Zackley! I drive (an EV), fly when I have too, but do other things to offset that, be that less meat, use less power at home, or offset in other ways. 

The world isn’t binary, as some climate change deniers insist 
    I don't fly (havent since around 2002), I share a relatively green motor with the Mrs that we only use some evenings and at weekends. We do buy quite a bit of produce now we're back in the UK, but always look for the tractor symbol (for a few reasons, not solely environmental). We do buy meat from butcher, but recently went halves with father in law for whole lamb that his friend brought on  (total food miles was probably about 50 miles). Father in law also drive about a mile and a half to the Newhaven fish market and gets a load of seafood that we also get a fair share of too. I get given quite a bit of game too from friends, and once I've built up some private permissions again in the UK, I'll harvest lot more of our meat from there too, as I have done for years. Admittedly, the choices above aren't all directly relating to the environment on my part, although the Mrs is definitely more that way inclined.

I don't deny climate change, but I do completely disagree with JSO and their tactics.

Also reckon it would be interesting to know whose carbon footprint is bigger out of those on either side of the JSO protests, even if the choices are subconscious
  • Gribbo said:
    Rothko said:
    Croydon said:

Disgrace. 

E fucking Zackley! I drive (an EV), fly when I have too, but do other things to offset that, be that less meat, use less power at home, or offset in other ways. 

I don't fly (havent since around 2002), I share a relatively green motor with the Mrs that we only use some evenings and at weekends. We do buy quite a bit of produce now we're back in the UK, but always look for the tractor symbol (for a few reasons, not solely environmental). We do buy meat from butcher, but recently went halves with father in law for whole lamb that his friend brought on  (total food miles was probably about 50 miles). Father in law also drive about a mile and a half to the Newhaven fish market and gets a load of seafood that we also get a fair share of too. I get given quite a bit of game too from friends, and once I've built up some private permissions again in the UK, I'll harvest lot more of our meat from there too, as I have done for years. Admittedly, the choices above aren't all directly relating to the environment on my part, although the Mrs is definitely more that way inclined.

I don't deny climate change, but I do completely disagree with JSO and their tactics.

Also reckon it would be interesting to know whose carbon footprint is bigger out of those on either side of the JSO protests, even if the choices are subconscious
    I'll tell you whose carbon footprint is bigger....major international corporations and the governments. 

Individual carbon footprint pales in comparison and it's dumb to start playing those games. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Someone remind me of a successful social justice movement, that succeeded by standing by the road? 
  • Rothko said:
    Someone remind me of a successful social justice movement, that succeeded by standing by the road? 
    Always remember large number of protesters always being outside the South African Embassy during the 80s, keeping their cause in the public profile but never interrupting people trying to get on with their lives.

Not a perfect solution but its far better that JSO methods 
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    Rothko said:
    Someone remind me of a successful social justice movement, that succeeded by standing by the road? 
    Always remember large number of protesters always being outside the South African Embassy during the 80s, keeping their cause in the public profile but never interrupting people trying to get on with their lives.

And how was it in Johannesburg?
  • So since my post this morning , I make it 0 (zero) have given up travelling abroad.
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    Rothko said:

One was taking up a cause against a social injustice. The other perhaps the survival of the human race. I think milling around on the pavement somewhere in central London would be as newsworthy as Charlton are to the national press.
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    This thread was started because some people don't like the actions of Just Stop Oil, whose aim is to stop the opening of new oil and gas fields, which will only swell the coffers of the big corporate organisations and do nothing to enhance the UK's energy security or reduce prices for the ordinary people of this country.

1. Protest at the side of roads, outside supporting and entertainment venues so the public can see there message without disrupting peoples lives. Will help get their message across more effectively.

2. Form a political party and stand for Parliament 
    Need a change to the FPTP voting system before that would make any difference. Look at the Green Party's lack of influence, despite fairly decent support nationally. 
  • Gribbo said:
    Rothko said:
    Croydon said:

Disgrace. 

I'll tell you whose carbon footprint is bigger....major international corporations and the governments. 

Individual carbon footprint pales in comparison and it's dumb to start playing those games. 
    Playing what games? I think it's s fair point to make when I'm questioning JSOs futile protests

If it's governments and international corporations making the biggest impact, target them as some of us have been saying since page 1 of this thread. It would probably be easier to disrupt them than what it is the public

• seth plum said:
    A lot of people enjoy eating meat but stopping can do a lot of good in so many ways, and if a person is feeling helpless in the face of the climate crisis it is definitely one way of helping.
    A lot of people enjoy bullying ME14 and don’t want to give that up too.
    Says the man who hates everyone who voted Tory and Brexit. 
    And refuses to forgive her even though she now regrets both.
    True.
    However I wonder if she would say I bully her.
  • ‘Bullying’. 🤣 get a grip.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!