Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Just Stop Oil protestors.....

Comments

• Croydon said:
    cabbles said:
    cabbles said:
    I saw a picture of a German lorry driver almost run a sitting protest over.  Utterly needless.  I’m sure he had somewhere to go and I know haulage is part of point in time supply chain etc, but you can’t be running someone over and risking causing serious injury just because it aggravates you.  

JSO have invited a lot of criticism onto themselves with their drastic action, but when I see videos of people losing the plot with them, I think it’s a pretty pathetic response.  You could take that rationale into anything that winds you up/you don’t agree with, why are JSO protestors fair game for physical violence 
    It depends on your circumstances. 
    If I was taking a family member to hospital jn an emergency I'm sure I'd not react in a polite manner. 
    I understand.  I’m sure there’s been examples of that throughout their disruption- I think it’s reaching the point where as aggravating as it is, people have just decided they can be physically have a go, because it’s justified in their opinion.  I just don’t think these people, however much of a nuisance they are, deserve to be almost run over by a lorry
    Of course they don't deserve to be run over by a lorry.
    But if in an emergency situation they refuse to move I have no problem with people dragging them off the road.
    They move for blue lights and sirens. Doesn't stop people assaulting them in the street sadly. 
    Sometimes waiting for an ambulance can take hours. 
    So if someone decides to take a family member to hospital to save time it amounts to the same thing.
    If after being asked to move they refuse then remove them yourself. 
  • cabbles said:
    I saw a picture of a German lorry driver almost run a sitting protest over.  Utterly needless.  I’m sure he had somewhere to go and I know haulage is part of point in time supply chain etc, but you can’t be running someone over and risking causing serious injury just because it aggravates you.  

JSO have invited a lot of criticism onto themselves with their drastic action, but when I see videos of people losing the plot with them, I think it’s a pretty pathetic response.  You could take that rationale into anything that winds you up/you don’t agree with, why are JSO protestors fair game for physical violence 
    Maybe just maybe stopping your average Joe from going about their day to day business and those trying to put food on the table for their families will piss said average Joe off enough to get a reaction all while the people in charge carry on flying around on private jets and driving in gas guzzling cars.
    There will be no food to put on that table before long, much of the world will be unable to support crops. 
  • edited July 2023
    If the UK grants licences for new oil and gas fields, these will not be for the benefit of the people in this country, it will be sold on the open market and make vast profits for the oil and gas companies, just as they are doing currently. We need massive investment in renewables.

We cannot keep on saying it's not worth me doing anything because, China, India et al are not doing enough.

https://news.sky.com/story/europe-heatwave-latest-continent-could-have-hottest-day-ever-sweltering-temperatures-to-last-two-weeks-12920226
  • With our food systems on the verge of collapse, it’s the plutocrats v life on Earth

George Monbiot

Looking back on previous human calamities, all of which will be dwarfed by this, you find yourself repeatedly asking “why didn’t they … ?” The answer is power: the power of a few to countermand the interests of humanity. The struggle to avert systemic failure is the struggle between democracy and plutocracy. It always has been, but the stakes are now higher than ever.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/jul/15/food-systems-collapse-plutocrats-life-on-earth-climate-breakdown

• cabbles said:

Maybe just maybe stopping your average Joe from going about their day to day business and those trying to put food on the table for their families will piss said average Joe off enough to get a reaction all while the people in charge carry on flying around on private jets and driving in gas guzzling cars.
    There will be no food to put on that table before long, much of the world will be unable to support crops. 
    Sure sure. Carry on slow marching in front of average Joe then while those in charge sit back and laugh.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2023
    Fascinating to observe the journey made by some from ‘phew what a scorcher’ to ‘I’d pull the lever meself’.
  • cabbles said:

Sure sure. Carry on slow marching in front of average Joe then while those in charge sit back and laugh.
    Why don't you have a go at those who who are in charge, instead of ridiculing the people who ARE trying to do something.  The situation the world is in is calamitous and it won't change all the time people criticise those trying to effect change. 

There is so much head in the sand going on.
    I'll write to my mp and if that don't work I'll go sit in my road and glue my face to the tarmac and hope my neighbours join me in doing the same 👍
  • edited July 2023
    In the scheme of things, I can't imagine opening up one coal mine in Cumbria will register significantly in terms of our, let alone global, CO2 emissions, but the signal it sends at this time and the justification for it I simply can't get my head round.

Can we really not fill in the capacity that would be generated by it from renewables within however long it would take time for the thing to come on stream? Or put the money towards measures to reduce the  demand for energy overall, such as better home insulation, wiring up gyms to the national grid etc (alright that's not a serious suggestion given the effort required to light a bulb, but that's another one, making all future light bulbs low energy LED). One coal mine FFS!!!

I doubt any other major party than the Tories are convinced of the need for it and I'm convinced it's those with my vested interests who've exerted pressure on the current administration to get it approved.
  • cabbles said:

Why don't you have a go at those who who are in charge, instead of ridiculing the people who ARE trying to do something.  The situation the world is in is calamitous and it won't change all the time people criticise those trying to effect change. 

There is so much head in the sand going on.
    I'll write to my mp and if that don't work I'll go sit in my road and glue my face to the tarmac and hope my neighbours join me in doing the same 👍
    Why don't you write to you MP? If enough people do that, they will have to take note, it's apathy that lets them get away with all that they do.
  • What about nuclear fuel?

Can someone enlighten me and tell What view am I meant to take 

thanks 
  • MrOneLung said:
    What about nuclear fuel?

thanks 
    Not a renewable because uranium reserves aren't, but has a role to play in the rush to kick the fossil fuel habit imo if renewable capacity can't be added quickly enough to satisfy energy demand forecasts without relying on exploiting more oil coal and gas  reserves than are currently available to us (7-8 years worth I read somewhere).

Cost I don't know, but it's very popular with our near neighbours the French who satisfy  70% of their energy needs from nuclear. Don't know the JSO take on it. I think they only have the one focus.
  • swordfish said:
    MrOneLung said:
    What about nuclear fuel?

thanks 
    Not a renewable because uranium reserves aren't, but has a role to play in the rush to kick the fossil fuel habit imo if renewable capacity can't be added quickly enough to satisfy energy demand forecasts without relying on exploiting more oil coal and gas  reserves than are currently available to us (7-8 years worth I read somewhere).

Cost I don't know, but it's very popular with our near neighbours the French who satisfy  70% of their energy needs from nuclear. Don't know the JSO take on it. I think they only have the one focus.
    It should’ve given us an option in addition to renewables, I completely agree with you 

Too many successive governments (both red and blue) have dropped the ball on it imo.  
  • Sponsored links:

• swordfish said:
    In the scheme of things, I can't imagine opening up one coal mine in Cumbria will register significantly in terms of our, let alone global, CO2 emissions, but the signal it sends at this time and the justification for it I simply can't get my head round.

Can we really not fill in the capacity that would be generated by it from renewables within however long it would take time for the thing to come on stream? Or put the money towards measures to reduce the  demand for energy overall, such as better home insulation, wiring up gyms to the national grid etc (alright that's not a serious suggestion given the effort required to light a bulb, but that's another one, making all future light bulbs low energy LED). One coal mine FFS!!!

I doubt any other major party than the Tories are convinced of the need for it and I'm convinced it's those with my vested interests who've exerted pressure on the current administration to get it approved.
    I'm as anti coal as the next environmentalist, but if it is needed to keep the country running, [and currently it is essential to a thankfully decreasing level] surely its better not to ship the raw materiall over from Australia?
  • swordfish said:
    MrOneLung said:
    What about nuclear fuel?

thanks 

And we had a similar mob condemn this form of energy in the 70s.
  • edited July 2023
    MrWalker said:
    swordfish said:

I'm as anti coal as the next environmentalist, but if it is needed to keep the country running, [and currently it is essential to a thankfully decreasing level] surely its better not to ship the raw materiall over from Australia?
    A couple of points I've since found out. It should take a couple of years to start extracting, will be be net zero in operation (is the aim/claim) and is specifically to serve the steel making industry not the domestic energy market. Again that is the claim but, after 5 years, 80% of what's produced is forecast to be exported to Europe, so there will be a shipping harm to the environment the opposite way to consider. It's forecast to operate for the next 50 years.

Mr Sunak seemed reluctant to attend COP27. Here's a letter sent to him recently by the Climate Change Committee. I think I can see why. We're on the naughty step!

• Major said:
    This is dangerous rubbish and I cannot believe that there are people who actually believe this. 

Records are being made all over the world. The UK had the hottest June on record. The world had the hottest first week ever for July. 

Much of Europe is in the grip of a dangerous heatwave with the highest temperatures expected to be broken this week. Floods elsewhere in the world  killing hundreds.

Please open your eyes to what is happening. The rate of change is accelerating due to the action of humans.

Sure. Keep drinking the cool aid the media is feeding you. Ignore the science. Be scared all your life. Well unless you pay more tax. That'll sort it, right?
  • edited July 2023
    swordfish said:
    MrWalker said:
    swordfish said:

A couple of points I've since found out. It should take a couple of years to start extracting, will be be net zero in operation (is the aim/claim) and is specifically to serve the steel making industry not the domestic energy market. Again that is the claim but, after 5 years, 80% of what's produced is forecast to be exported to Europe, so there will be a shipping harm to the environment the opposite way to consider. It's forecast to operate for the next 50 years.

Mr Sunak seemed reluctant to attend COP27. Here's a letter sent to him recently by the Climate Change Committee. I think I can see why. We're on the naughty step!

The last line of the letter is crucial and one that everyone should take note of 'delay is not an option'.
  • R0TW said:
    Buy British. 
    Big thing years ago.
    Problem is we don’t make very much these days.

Well Guru, I did some research:
    Chicken Tikka masala
    Aston Martin
    Hot point tumble dryer
    Marmite
    Cavendish pianos 
    Cadbury daily milk
    Henry the Vacuum cleaner
    Dr Martens Shoes 
    Ascot hats

And not a lot of people know this one but the Guillotine was first made in Yorkshire and sold to the French at a cut price.
  • Major said:
    This is dangerous rubbish and I cannot believe that there are people who actually believe this. 

Records are being made all over the world. The UK had the hottest June on record. The world had the hottest first week ever for July. 

Much of Europe is in the grip of a dangerous heatwave with the highest temperatures expected to be broken this week. Floods elsewhere in the world  killing hundreds.

Please open your eyes to what is happening. The rate of change is accelerating due to the action of humans.

'Dangerous rubbish'? From a Nobel Laureate. Your sciencific qualifications are what exactly? No, don't tell me. You read it in thr Guardian. What a hoot.
  • edited July 2023
    Major said:
    Major said:

'Dangerous rubbish'? From a Nobel Laureate. Your sciencific qualifications are what exactly? No, don't tell me. You read it in thr Guardian. What a hoot.
    99% of the world's scientists agree that Climate Change is man made, yet you believe one of the few that doesn't. 

Have you watched the news recently and seen the pictures of the effects of Climate change all around the world?

Please open your eyes to the reality of the situation. Penty of other sources of news, try looking at them.

• I’ve not read all the previous posts so apologies if it’s already been covered but I do have a couple questions for those that know, one about the new mine in that why do we actually need it if the UK seems to not actually generate a lot of electricity from coal these days ?; and is there still a lot of solar/wind farms that are still not being connected to the UK grid ?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!