Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dog attacks

Comments

• It annoys me too.
    Sadly it happens and it appears to happen more and more often. 
    We have a "Dog beach" within 100yds of my home, I wont take my dogs anywhere near it.
    Sadly some assume everyone without a dog should **** off and use the other end, after hearing someone say their dog crashed through someones picnic and then told the picnickers its to be expected its a "dog beach" that was it for me.
    Yes, you are correct and under control on or off the lead, yelling from 500 yards "Its friendly" is not ok.
    Certainly if you are being charged by a dog that you interpret as a potential biter tucking the child behind your legs should be your first instinct, dont move towards the dog as you will be perceived as the attacker. But if an attacking dog is within striking distance of a size 9 then use it, try not to make eye contact with it, something children struggle with because of their size and natural instinct to look towards the danger. 
    If its a larger breed, do not run, again its our instinct to do so.
    Make the child as safe as possible and personally I'd wait until the dog leapt at me and smash it with every ounce of strength to take it off balance, then just pin it to the floor locking its head in place, exactly what I had to do when Valli was charged by an loose Mastiff locally. 
    Very difficult to explain as all circumstances are different as our reactions.
  • Twice recently, I've taken my 2 year old out in the park outside my house and had a dog come sprinting at him from 50m away...

Both occasions lead to altercations with the owners....

The law says people must keep their dogs under control, right? 

It annoys me when owners say "He's friendly" or some such. Sorry, pal...I'm not risking my kid getting savaged on your say so....

Any advice from the dog folk on here on how to deal with such situations? 

I saw fenced off dig areas in parks in the states - that makes a lot more sense to me than letting them have free roaming in areas with kids and humans who don't want to be bothered by them.....
    I once had a recurring incident where a dog attacked mine. I sought advice from the Police who said there was no legal recourse (dog on dog). The Policeman advised me to stand in front of my dog as the other charges and then I could legally kick out at the dog, on the basis I thought the dog was going for me!
  • PeterGage said:
    Gribbo said:
    Think that all dogs should get the snip at the earliest opportunity, unless they're to be owned by a reputable, registered breeder, who should require a permit for each litter. Also think they should bring back the dog licence for all breeds.

Might sound ott, but when you consider the amount of unwanted and ill treated dogs, this must be  better alternative?
    There are negatives from having a dog snipped, two being it increases the chances of cancer in the affected areas and increases the chances of weight gain (so my vet told me). I never had any of my three Border Collies snipped for those reasons, given that they had never shown any aggression at the age development. Indeed, none showed any aggression during their life, maybe I was just lucky or maybe the extensive training I applied to them were factors.
    Wait, what? You’re saying they are likelier to get cancer in the areas of the testicles and ovaries/uterus? 

One reason many vets are pushing neutering at the earliest opportunity is this. The country is full of strays/abandoned dogs. Rescues have no capacity. Vets don’t have any appointments due to the sheer number of animals being registered daily. It might be just the tip of the iceberg but preventing as many unwanted pregnancies as possible would relieve this pressure somewhat. Yes you can say “oh well, I’m a responsible person”. Point is you speak from a personal perspective, you don’t see the hundreds of irresponsible owners we see in practice. 
  • The dog involved in the Belvedere attack was an Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldog which looks like this.  The males can grow to 47 Kg - a terrifying prospect when angry. 

https://www.dogbreedinfo.com/alapahabluebloodbulldogs.htm

• Crazy that any one can own a dog like that without having to get a licence. 
  • Saw a woman walking what looked like an XL Bully the other day. Poor dog's ears had been cut which made the owner an instant **** in my eyes. She could barely control the dog and if it had wanted to go for it she'd have had no chance of stopping it.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2023
    I read somewhere that you shouldn’t treat a dog like one of the family, like one of your children, but treat the family dog like a dog. They are cool with that role within the overall set up apparently.
    You hear of cosseted dogs becoming very jealous of newborn babies and suchlike if they see them as a rival child and will attack, same with attacking children.
    There is that famous video of a not especially big stranger dog trying to drag away a toddler (on this occasion the child and dog were not part of the same family) and the family cat saved the child.
    The cat!
    The little boy still had bite marks on his arm afterwards.

Incidentally I reckon there are far more ‘attacks’ (scratches and snarls) in the home from cats compared to dogs, but those attacks are unlikely to be fatal.
  • PeterGage said:
    Gribbo said:
    Think that all dogs should get the snip at the earliest opportunity, unless they're to be owned by a reputable, registered breeder, who should require a permit for each litter. Also think they should bring back the dog licence for all breeds.

Might sound ott, but when you consider the amount of unwanted and ill treated dogs, this must be  better alternative?
    There are negatives from having a dog snipped, two being it increases the chances of cancer in the affected areas and increases the chances of weight gain (so my vet told me). I never had any of my three Border Collies snipped for those reasons, given that they had never shown any aggression at the age development. Indeed, none showed any aggression during their life, maybe I was just lucky or maybe the extensive training I applied to them were factors.
    Wait, what? You’re saying they are likelier to get cancer in the areas of the testicles and ovaries/uterus? 

One reason many vets are pushing neutering at the earliest opportunity is this. The country is full of strays/abandoned dogs. Rescues have no capacity. Vets don’t have any appointments due to the sheer number of animals being registered daily. It might be just the tip of the iceberg but preventing as many unwanted pregnancies as possible would relieve this pressure somewhat. Yes you can say “oh well, I’m a responsible person”. Point is you speak from a personal perspective, you don’t see the hundreds of irresponsible owners we see in practice. 
    Our vet told us that neutering decreased the chance of cancer!
  • PeterGage said:
    Gribbo said:

Our vet told us that neutering decreased the chance of cancer!
    No wonder you are crying in your avatar Muttley!

• The seth plum said:
    I read somewhere that you shouldn’t treat a dog like one of the family, like one of your children, but treat the family dog like a dog. They are cool with that role within the overall set up apparently.
    You hear of cosseted dogs becoming very jealous of newborn babies and suchlike if they see them as a rival child and will attack, same with attacking children.
    There is that famous video of a not especially big stranger dog trying to drag away a toddler (on this occasion the child and dog were not part of the same family) and the family cat saved the child.
    The cat!

Incidentally I reckon there are far more ‘attacks’ (scratches and snarls) in the home from cats compared to dogs, but those attacks are unlikely to be fatal.
    Utter guff

You are selecting very rare events 

Friend of mine, had their dog (sadly now passed away from old age) - when their first child was born, the dog was very protective of the little boy - when his wife walked the dog, with baby in the pram, the dog never left the pram’s side - a little growl at people who came up to look at the baby to say ‘I’m here, I’m watching you’ - slept under the cot - knew that the baby was a new member of the family, and thus it was his duty to help protect it
  • The dog involved in the Belvedere attack was an Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldog which looks like this.  The males can grow to 47 Kg - a terrifying prospect when angry. 

https://www.dogbreedinfo.com/alapahabluebloodbulldogs.htm

Ive seen Children taking dogs like this for walks where i live ! what chance does anyone have if it decides to have a go .
    I Tend to do a about turn if i spot something like this when out walking my dog . 
  • even the very best trained dog can turn and attack - the sooner people accept that the better.

Like saying a very well brought up child won't get into a fight or shoplift  or be rude.
  • MrOneLung said:
    even the very best trained dog can turn and attack - the sooner people accept that the better.

Like saying a very well brought up child won't get into a fight or shoplift  or be rude.
    It can but far more likely a dog bred for agression and guarding is going to attack vs a dog that is bred for other things. A well trained labrador is not going to attack someone in the park. That being said, I wouldn't leave any dog with a young child alone, regardless of its breed or training
  • Quite a balance here of dog fans, and the opposite. 

I've always found it a headache having to explain to friends/family that I'm not anti-dog, but just have zero interest. They usually start the conversation by cornering me with a line like "Ahh _______ isn't tooooooo good with dogs", as if they belong to some private esteemed club.
  • I've been trying to work out why Charities are still importing dogs from overseas when there are plenty of dogs available at rehoming centres. Is it a money making activity? 
  • Sponsored links:

• The seth plum said:
    The cat!

Utter guff

You are selecting very rare events 

Friend of mine, had their dog (sadly now passed away from old age) - when their first child was born, the dog was very protective of the little boy - when his wife walked the dog, with baby in the pram, the dog never left the pram’s side - a little growl at people who came up to look at the baby to say ‘I’m here, I’m watching you’ - slept under the cot - knew that the baby was a new member of the family, and thus it was his duty to help protect it
    When you say 'utter' and 'very rare' I am not completely convinced.
    I am not anti dog in the slightest, and feel that a good human companion can help a dog to be non aggressive, but I did find this stuff very quickly:

Since our baby was born three months ago, our five-year-old dog (a bitch) has been showing increasing signs of jealousy. Recently, she has been growling at the baby and I'm worried she might become aggressive.

Although I love our dog, I do not trust her around our daughter and have suggested to my husband that we either have her put down or we give her away. My husband is opposed to this as he has owned her from a puppy and had her before we met. I feel he is putting the dog before our daughter and the difference of opinion is causing a rift.
    R.F. Ashford, Kent

At three months, your daughter has not yet established herself in her father's affections to the same extent as in yours. Fathers seem to take longer to become imprinted with their children and to develop the indivisible bond that mothers experience more or less immediately. From my own observations, I'd say it starts to happen when the child becomes sociable - smiling, laughing, recognising faces, sitting up, engaging by eye contact.

When this process is well-established I'm sure your husband will be as possessive and protective as you are. He has probably been experiencing a fair amount of jealousy himself, as men do when their partner's attention and tenderness is deflected from themselves. Like most first-time mothers you are probably suffering from lack of sleep and relative lack of interest in sex, and generally not making as much fuss of him as he likes and expects. So he has probably turned to the ever-faithful best friend for comfort and you can see how your proposal to do away with the animal has compounded his feeling of rejection.

For the present, you are on a hiding to nothing. Nevertheless, I share your anxieties and think there is a real risk that the dog's jealousy could turn into aggression.

If you don't convince your husband of the danger and yet he gives in with a bad grace, he will have a permanently rankling grudge about this issue.

Meanwhile, I'm sure you will take every precaution to keep baby and dog at a suitable distance from each other. Unfortunately, you are not the best person to reason with your man over this because of the conflict of interest.

Is there a relative or friend - preferably one of his - who could put the case urgently? Another dog owner perhaps? Like all mothers, you are discovering you must be all things to all dependents. Perhaps you should seek to draw your husband more actively into the mysteries of baby care. Leave him nursing the child while you take the dog for a walk.

But in the long term the dog should go. You cannot be vigilant 100 per cent of the time. Finding another home would be a kinder option than destroying the dog, and persuading someone to offer to take her would be the most diplomatic solution.

Readers' responses

When I was a baby, my parents had a fairly old labrador which showed increasing signs of jealousy towards me. My mother expressed her concerns to my father, a lovely, easy-going man who was very attached to the dog.

My dad joked that he would rather get rid of my mother than the dog. When I was a toddler, I went to approach the dog one day and he bit me on the face. I needed 30 stitches in a wound to my forehead from my eye to my hairline. Luckily, he missed damaging my eye. As you can imagine, my father was devastated and the dog was destroyed. I've had plastic surgery so that my eyelid closes better and I am quite skilled at disguising the scar with make-up.

I am not afraid of dogs now but I would heed any warning signs from your dog very carefully.
    M.M. London

Keeping a small child out of danger from a jealous dog requires a hawk-like vigilance. You will be unable to relax for years to come. No amount of training of the dog will eliminate the risk. We had to keep one of our dogs completely separate from our small children for every moment the children were up and about. Looking back, it was ridiculous to tolerate that amount of strain, which was put on me in particular, as their mother and the one who was with them all day. Get rid of that dog before the worst happens! And don`t be made to feel guilty about protecting your child. It is the only responsible thing to do.
    U.F. London

• T_C_E said:
    Treating a dog like a dog is different to them being part of the family.
    I often tell my dogs to f*** off when I’m watching football, if I tried it just once with my wife I’d have three Adam’s apples. 
    As I said when I spoke to parents last week before my dogs attend school that day I monitor then making sure they are fit and well, if they are even slightly off colour I swop dogs and take another into work.
    I never for a minute relax while working with them and watch for any slight changes in mood, more often than not I leave school with a banging headache such is my concentration.
    Do I trust them 100% ?
    No, they are animals I have to take decisions for them and if the school or anyone else cant except my decision on that day then that's tough, two schools in recent years felt they could stipulate rules to me yet didn't appreciate that I have rules too and if you cant meet my rules then it dont happen, simple as that.
    You cant make allowances for a puppy's behaviour and expect to change it when they mature, lay down the rules at the start and endorse them as it grows.
    A lot of the trouble is we want the finished "perfect dog" straight out of the box, firstly a perfect dog doesn't exist, secondly you have to "teach them to be the dog you want"

Don't disagree with any of the above. We have 6 adult GSD'S, all are trained to a high level, but, like Ray, I tell them to fuck off if I'm doing something for myself. Do we trust our dogs 100%, no we don't, we are always aware of what is around us, especially if we are out. We watch their body language all the time and take appropriate action. Owning and training responsible dogs doesn't ever stop. All our dogs know their position in 'the pack' which includes myself and Mrs RM. We, mainly Mrs RM, is the equivalent of the 'Alpha Male' she dictates their behaviour.
    If Mrs RM tells them to do something they do it, BUT they respect her, and that's the key thing. 
    As I'm sure Ray would agree, when you have a 'pack' of dogs YOU need to be in charge, and with 6 fully grown GSD's that is paramount, but even with 1 'handbag' dog it's just as important.
    In this case size doesn't matter, training, control and awareness does!

• I'm no expert but I think that dogs behaviour around children can be different depending on who came first. If you have two people with children who then bring a dog into that then (as long as training/discipline is good) the dog will GENERALLY be pretty accepting.

If you have two people and a dog and they then have a child afterwards, it's more likely that you'll have a dog who is a bit more jealous/resentful - but again training can help.

Obviously a lot of this depends on lots of other things as well (dog breed, age, background etc) and obviously I would never suggest leaving any dog totally unsupervised with any child but I think most dogs can be trained to at the very least tolerate children being present.
  • So many people buy a dog not only knowing nothing about dogs but their chosen breed. 
    The wonderfully named Cockerpoo fetching 2/3k I’m told is also available under the name of crossbreed/mongrel from most rescues for £150/250, this isn’t some elite pedigree owner looking down on crossbreeds it’s people that get one because “they don’t moult” they do lose hair but just not in the quantity of other breeds, no other research is done into the fact they are both working dogs and I’ve never known a cocker spaniel without a high drive and like a poodle is a working dog. Result you get a dog with both requirements and the need to be doing something, a walk to the post office isn’t enough but it doesn’t moult so we’ll get one and wonder why it’s bouncing off the walls because we couldn’t be arsed to correctly exercise it today!
    Children like the dogs have to be taught how to behave and earn each other’s respect, you won’t see my grandchildren laying on my dogs for a supposedly cute photo and likewise you won’t see my dogs jumping up at them.
    I only today corrected a lady on a mobility scooter when she tried to encourage Bow to put his paws up on her scooter so she fuss him easier, as I said when he sees you again on your walking frame if he were to get the same signal she’s on her arse.
    Training is not something you can forget about for a day it’s repetitive, day in day out. 

• T_C_E said:
    So many people buy a dog not only knowing nothing about dogs but their chosen breed. 
    The wonderfully named Cockerpoo fetching 2/3k I’m told is also available under the name of crossbreed/mongrel from most rescues for £150/250, this isn’t some elite pedigree owner looking down on crossbreeds it’s people that get one because “they don’t moult” they do lose hair but just not in the quantity of other breeds, no other research is done into the fact they are both working dogs and I’ve never known a cocker spaniel without a high drive and like a poodle is a working dog. Result you get a dog with both requirements and the need to be doing something, a walk to the post office isn’t enough but it doesn’t moult so we’ll get one and wonder why it’s bouncing off the walls because we couldn’t be arsed to correctly exercise it today!
    Children like the dogs have to be taught how to behave and earn each other’s respect, you won’t see my grandchildren laying on my dogs for a supposedly cute photo and likewise you won’t see my dogs jumping up at them.
    I only today corrected a lady on a mobility scooter when she tried to encourage Bow to put his paws up on her scooter so she fuss him easier, as I said when he sees you again on your walking frame if he were to get the same signal she’s on her arse.
    Training is not something you can forget about for a day it’s repetitive, day in day out. 

We got Magnus (we gave him that name) from a dog home, he cost us £185. We believe he is a springerpoo. 

He has given us so much more to our family. However we don’t know his history, as he was found on the streets. He hates hoses and will run a mile when he see you with one.
  • Would love to be able to teach mine to stop rolling around and eating fox shit.
  • R0TW said:
    Would love to be able to teach mine to stop rolling around and eating fox shit.
    Good luck with that one, fortunately mine are the vainest dogs you could meet and would be horrified by the prospect. I’d rather train an aggressive dog to be calm than try to train a dogs natural instinct to leave its scent where other dogs have been. 
  • If I’m not mistaken more people are bitten by chihuahuas than breeds considered to be “aggressive”!
  • If I’m not mistaken more people are bitten by chihuahuas than breeds considered to be “aggressive”!
    Few of them have had to have a funeral director turn up after though.