Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dog attacks

Comments

• we've got 2 small cavapoo's who are soppy as shit and great playing with the kids.

I've always been petrified of bigs dogs though (still am), never mind what breed!!
    I like to think Ive respected people maybe wary of my dogs when we approach and watch them as we near them, I'll always give them the option of passing on my right rather the left where my dog is. 
    What does make me chuckle is those 20 somethings who walk up to us like theyve just left an oasis concert and then decide theyve got a itchy ear just they get alongside my dog. Why?
  • Changing the subject there is a petition to stop Katy price owning anymore animals after yet another one of her dogs was run over
    please sign & stop anymore getting neglected by her 
  • That moment you really wish your dogs recall was rubbish 😂😂

• A bit off subject - other than the lack of decency in some breeders and some owners. 

Story running in the papers last week re designer dogs being dumped.

One Welsh charity received 30 cockapoos in a week.  It seems unscrupulous breeders are mostly to blame - excess dogs in a saturated market.

From the Mail.  

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12119495/The-designer-dogs-abandoned-UK-pugs-cockapoos-French-bulldogs-dumped.html
  • Just a couple more pics of Zeek, this time he's trained to protect, on command.  Ang gives the command and he will react accordingly, however if you met him he's as soft as any dog, but it's all about training. This sadly is where bad owners go wrong!

Is it just coincidence that mugger turnt up in a dog proof suit on?
  • This is Giaccomo our 6 year old Continental Bulldog (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continental_bulldog?wprov=sfti1).
    Although he is a “big softie” he still weighs 60lbs and can be extremely stubborn. By that I mean he will pull in one direction because that’s where he wants to go rather than where I want to lead him.
    Despite him being well-trained by my wife (who grew up with a father who was a champion-breeding breeder of German Shepherds that, amongst other things, were trained for the German police and border forces) we don’t let him off the leash in an urban environment or where there are other dogs. Being as stubborn as he is he doesn’t always come when you call him and he is a jumper. If he likes you he will jump up at you to be petted and with small children and the elderly that can be a real danger, so we are very careful about this.
    Here in France, the Government has a list of “dangerous breeds”. any dogs on this list, in particular category 1 dogs (American, Staffies, Mastiffs) should wear a muzzle in public and be on a line and the owner has to pass a suitability test to own them. How many have I seen in public with a muzzle on? Yes, zero. 

• edited June 2023
    A bit off subject - other than the lack of decency in some breeders and some owners. 

One Welsh charity received 30 cockapoos in a week.  It seems unscrupulous breeders are mostly to blame - excess dogs in a saturated market.

From the Mail.  

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12119495/The-designer-dogs-abandoned-UK-pugs-cockapoos-French-bulldogs-dumped.html

I think that maybe the one in the middle isn't a cockapoo. Very cruel, even though she is smiling.
  • Pedigree Whippet Racing
  • Sponsored links:

• MrWalker said:
    A bit off subject - other than the lack of decency in some breeders and some owners. 

From the Mail.  

I think that maybe the one in the middle isn't a cockapoo. Very cruel, even though she is smiling.
    I'll take her.
  • MrWalker said:

From the Mail.  

I'll take her.
    Careful.  She bites.
  • I'm so ashamed.
  • MrWalker said:

From the Mail.  

I'll take her.
    For unscrupulous breeding?
  • From 1 February 2024 it will be a criminal offence to own an XL Bully unless owners have successfully applied for it to be exempt in England and Wales. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67273889 

Obviously the government think that XL Bully dogs are only dangerous if they don't have the right paperwork.  
  • How they are ever going to police what is in effect an unrecognised/cross breed I do not know. This is the guidance as to what one is:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/official-definition-of-an-xl-bully-dog/official-definition-of-an-xl-bully-dog

I'm no expert but could describe a number of bull type dogs (inc Staffordshire).

Can't help but think they could have reviewed the whole dog ownership and dangerous dogs act. As usual a sticky plaster is applied.
  • Rob7Lee said:
    How they are ever going to police what is in effect an unrecognised/cross breed I do not know. This is the guidance as to what one is:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/official-definition-of-an-xl-bully-dog/official-definition-of-an-xl-bully-dog

I'm no expert but could describe a number of bull type dogs (inc Staffordshire).

Can't help but think they could have reviewed the whole dog ownership and dangerous dogs act. As usual a sticky plaster is applied.
    I'm not an expert either but a staffie woudln't meet the minimum height definition for a start. 
  • Rob7Lee said:
    How they are ever going to police what is in effect an unrecognised/cross breed I do not know. This is the guidance as to what one is:

An xl bully is about 5 times heavier than a staff and looks nothing like one.
  • edited October 2023
    Rob7Lee said:

Is there a problem with the larger dangerous dogs act?
  • Chunes said:
    Rob7Lee said:

It'sa good question. The Act is often cited an example of very poor legislation created in a hurry in response to a panic. But it seems to have been very successful in that there are no longer pitbull terriers in the UK and until the XLs, a very significant reduction in serious injuries and deaths caused by dog attacks
  • Sponsored links:

• Jints said:
    Chunes said:
    Rob7Lee said:

It'sa good question. The Act is often cited an example of very poor legislation created in a hurry in response to a panic. But it seems to have been very successful in that there are no longer pitbull terriers in the UK and until the XLs, a very significant reduction in serious injuries and deaths caused by dog attacks
    There are plenty of pit bull terriers in the UK. 

• The "muzzled and on a lead" bit seems good at the very least. 

Really hope it is somehow enforced. Seen a couple of instances of stuff going on with these dogs, with shit people as owners. 
  • If I owned one of these dogs (which i wouldn't), I'd have no issue with muzzling it and getting it snipped. 

For those who claim to know their dogs, I once had a springer spaniel once, hag him from a pup and I'd have put my house on him not attacking anyone, let alone me, still got the scare on my arm from when he turned on me.
  • Gribbo said:
    If I owned one of these dogs (which i wouldn't), I'd have no issue with muzzling it and getting it snipped. 

For those who claim to know their dogs, I once had a springer spaniel once, hag him from a pup and I'd have put my house on him not attacking anyone, let alone me, still got the scare on my arm from when he turned on me.
    That's the number one problem isn't it, everyone always thinks it's other "terrible owners" that have their dogs do stuff like that. Could never happen to me!

Really think more owners should be interviewed on TV after their dogs eat their babies faces as part of their punishment. I guarantee you 99% of those people would have said that their dog was one of those ones that would "never hurt a fly."

Can't believe we have tolerated this for this long. 
  • Huskaris said:
    Gribbo said:
    If I owned one of these dogs (which i wouldn't), I'd have no issue with muzzling it and getting it snipped. 

That's the number one problem isn't it, everyone always thinks it's other "terrible owners" that have their dogs do stuff like that. Could never happen to me!

Really think more owners should be interviewed on TV after their dogs eat their babies faces as part of their punishment. I guarantee you 99% of those people would have said that their dog was one of those ones that would "never hurt a fly."

Can't believe we have tolerated this for this long. 
    Also think that a lot of people who are so vehemently against a ban on the Xls are getting a "ban" and an all out "cull", mixed up.

• Gribbo said:
    Think that all dogs should get the snip at the earliest opportunity, unless they're to be owned by a reputable, registered breeder, who should require a permit for each litter. Also think they should bring back the dog licence for all breeds.

Might sound ott, but when you consider the amount of unwanted and ill treated dogs, this must be  better alternative?

The trouble with that is, neutering and spaying to early.
    My dogs were at 2+ years old and fully developed, all this shite about correcting behavioural issues is dog ****
    Unless for medical reasons, it shouldn't be done to early.
    The perception it stops your dog pulling or p*ssing in the house is wrong, training does that. 

• T_C_E said:
    Gribbo said:
    Think that all dogs should get the snip at the earliest opportunity, unless they're to be owned by a reputable, registered breeder, who should require a permit for each litter. Also think they should bring back the dog licence for all breeds.

Might sound ott, but when you consider the amount of unwanted and ill treated dogs, this must be  better alternative?

The trouble with that is, neutering and spaying to early.
    My dogs were at 2+ years old and fully developed, all this shite about correcting behavioural issues is dog ****
    Unless for medical reasons, it shouldn't be done to early.
    The perception it stops your dog pulling or p*ssing in the house is wrong, training does that. 

Gotta be honest mate, I thought the same about pissing, but as a last resort, we had our rescued Teckle snipped and he stopped doing it straight away. From 4 to 5 spray type marks every night, to absolutely nothing.