Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Everyday things from back in the day that seem really weird now

Comments

• Options
    Encyclopaedia’s being the font of all knowledge and where to go to help with some homework 
    DIY books my old man used to get and collect and refer to doing household chores 
    Pubs being shut Sunday afternoon 3-7pm
    All of you using the same fake birth certificate to get in to a pub when you were below age .
    Pre mobile phones friends having to be reliable for meet ups without having the option to flake late on by text .

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    We had a knife sharpening bloke come round who'd operate from his van - knives, scissors, shears, tools - he was quite popular.

Also the French onion man on his bike.  

Gordon, or Mr Kaye as we used to have to call him, used to shop in my shop.  In his later years he was, let's just say, difficult.  But that's for another thread.
    Didn’t Gordon Kaye suffer a severe head injury late in life.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    We had a knife sharpening bloke come round who'd operate from his van - knives, scissors, shears, tools - he was quite popular.

Also the French onion man on his bike.  
    I lived in Bean, and as a child we had a veg lorry come round, a bakers lorry, grocery lorry (sweeties!), mobile fish and chips and on a friday a Corona fizzy pop lorry.

We also had someone selling charity lottery tickets made of thick paper, with perforations around the edge, which you had to tear around to open and see if you had won.
  • Options
    Conkers!
  • Options
    Memories from the winter of 62/63 one of the coldest snowiest. The smell of wet wooden coats, socks and jumpers drying in the school clock room. Milk bottles with frozen milk pushing the silver tops off. Collecting the silver tops off milk bottles for charity (think guide dogs). When icy slides that went diagonally down the play ground. Massive snow ball fights, being hit by ice hard snowballs. Icicles that being used as swords. Frozen pipes, and walking through snow drifts to get to the outside loo / coal bunker, ice on the insides of windows, one coal fire in the front room, and one electric fire in the living room. Watching the snow plough on the front of the train thundering through. Bunsen burners trying to warm the ground do football could be played, volunteers clearing snow off the pitch. Cold, oh the endless cold, and the sound of the blizzards with the howling wind.
  • Options
    My dads car had wooden back doors, and to open the windows we had a handle handle, honestly I’m not 500 years old!
  • Options
    Cranking my 1951 Ford Prefect
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Beating kids.

Beating kids that weren’t even yours 
  • Options
    Refusing to wear a seatbelt because it was uncomfortable or not cool. 

Thinking you could cover up drink driving with a small peppermint spray kept under your sun visor. 
  • Options
    Still having to go to school in 2 foot of snow.
    Ink wells and fountain pens.
    Balaclavas, knitted by your mum.
    White vests and Y fronts.
    Duffle Coats.
    Brooke Bond tea cards/albums
    Golliwog broaches (seems incomprehensible now doesn't it)
    Mikki cold chocolate drinks from the milkman.
    Petticoats.
    Standing on wooden footbridges whilst steam trains passed underneath.
    Watching trolleybus conductors using a long pole to reconnect the trolley pole to the overhead electric wires.
    Buses terminating at Parsons Hill Woolwich.
    Seeing "No Irish" in rented property windows.
    Rabbit stew.
    Caravan holidays ( with no internal toilet or running water; water from a standpipe and freezing communal toilet block with only cold water for washing).
    "Peanuts, tanner a bag. Six a bag of nuts"
    Outside toilets meant traipsing into the game at all times and weathers.
    Having a next door neighbour who insisted on conversing if she knew you were in the adjacent loo.
    Keeping a potty in the bedroom for night time wee wee.
    Playing football morning to night on any local patch of green.
    Cricket in summer and tennis for 2 weeks during Wimbledon
    Playing football on the way home from school with a piece of coal dropped by the coalman.
    Dogs roaming free on Abbey Wood estate with no sign of an owner and nobody removing dog shit.
    Public service announcements that encouraged dog owners to make their dogs shit in the road.
    Watching Charlton reserves at the Woolwich Stadium on Woolwich Common.
    St. Nicholas Hospital; The Brook Hospital; Greenwich District Hospital;
    Bexley Maternity Hospital.
    The Lads of the Village; The Horse and Groom; The Victoria; The Waterman's Arms

• Options
    Some of this stuff seems great 😂
  • Options
    Going on holiday and leaving your kids alone in rooms asleep while you go out and get pissed. 

Or one step even further, tieing a hankie to the door to signify to others there’s children left alone while you go out and get pissed. 
  • Options
    Keeping videos in cases that look like book encyclopaedias 

• Options
    Not having a Like or LOL button on Charlton Life. 
  • Options
    Wright’s Coal Tar soap. Not seen that in ages.

Loved the smell.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wright’s Coal Tar soap. Not seen that in ages.

Loved the smell.
    It’s still available, although admittedly not everywhere. I get mine from the local chemist
  • Options
    Family sitting down at the breakfast table with the country’s biggest selling newspapers having Maria, 23 from Romford’s massive tits on full display as soon as you turned the page whilst the kids are their cocoa pops.

Pretending to read slowly a nothing story about John Major being an admirer of the Ford Capri whilst fixated with Maria, 23 from Romford’s tits.

Wanting when you grow up to be the bloke whose job it was to write the accompanying captions to Maria 23 from Romford such as ‘Maria, has been shocked by the huge amount of criticism she’s received after saying we should do more to save the ozone layer. Whilst there may be some truth in what the 23 year old from Romford says, I think we all agree our busty beauty will always have her knockers’. 
    I remember being 9 or 10 at school and the teacher saying bring in newspaper (probably for art) but not The Sun and I didn’t understand why. We didn’t have newspapers in our house.
  • Options
    Too young or not born to remember some of the stuff people have said, so going off what I can remember from the 2000s

Win a TV competitions on telly
    Doctor Who being the big show of the week
    Page 3
    Women not wearing anything in most adverts
    Charlton in the premier league

• Options
    Brilliant idea for a thread @North Lower Neil , thanks!
  • Options
    Renting a TV
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Brilliant idea for a thread @North Lower Neil , thanks!
    I like these sort of ones in the off-season when there's less football to talk about!!