Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Everyday things from back in the day that seem really weird now

1101112131416»

Comments

• Options
    seth plum said:
    The light programme, the third programme and the home service.
    And Radio Luxemberg, 208 on the dial
  • Options
    Reverse Charge Calling from a phone box. Be lucky to find a useable phone box nowadays. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    There was something very atmospheric about Radio Luxembourg in the evenings the way it faded in and out.
    Evocative memory.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    not quite the remit of this thread, but what happened to quiz machines in pubs ?  

Don’t see them at all these days. 
    Do still see them but nowhere near as much as 10, 15 years ago, seems to be going back towards fruit machines if anything at all.

I wonder whether the quizzies had less of a profit margin given there's some skill over the percentage payout on fruit machines?
    I think also that the people who make quizzes can monetise their work more easily now by making them available on the internet for bored commuters and the like. Back then there were no smartphones to allow this, so the pub quiz machine was the best outlet available. 
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    CH4RLTON said:
    Borrowing random things of mates , like yh it seems normal now that you might still borrow things like a lawn mower it Item of clothing peharps, but we constantly lending each other videos , LPs , books and in a strange instance some lent me their warhammer collection 
    Did you type this with your feet? Next time first take your shoes off😉
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Sheeps brains also in the butchers.
    I struggle to get pigs heads and beef hearts too 

• Options
    edited June 2023
    Knock down ginger

creep up to someone’s house only for them to open and tell you to f***k off after watching you on their security camera 
    My eldest mentioned it the other day - they call it 'ding dong ditch' now.  Actually makes more sense I think, though its in the days of more doorbells!
  • Options
    Oh yes, David Axcell, Southend, Gurnham Singh, Wolverhampton. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Having to go into School in 20ft Snow Drifts ( a bit of an exageration there )

• Options
    fadgadget said:

in shorts
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    fadgadget said:

in shorts
    ....and sandals, with a satchel.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Remember Laser 558 on the MW or was it LW?
  • Options
    The bloke putting the half time scores up. You needed the programme to know what game the scores related to.
  • Options
    The bloke putting the half time scores up. You needed the programme to know what game the scores related to.
    I’m sure they used to go on a wind up. So match A was say Spurs v Arsenal.  They would dig into the box of numbers and slot in a 0 to the pitchside holder, so we all knew it was Spurs 0….. Then pull out a 3 from the box , we,d all go NEVER, FUCKING HELL 3 up half time. Then drop back into the box and get out another 0.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Might not exactly qualify as an “every day” thing but this did make me chuckle. https://youtu.be/O3RaCer964U
  • Options
    "Official  ear".
    Bloke selling programs outside the Valley.
    "Peanuts tanner a bag".
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Coin Operated TV
  • Options
    Ha, that is a great picture.
    Remember loads of people bought into that on the Ferrier.
    House was mysteriously burgled the next day.
    Even had a box removal gang.
    Happy days