Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Everyday things from back in the day that seem really weird now

Comments

• Options
    Hitchhiking
  • Options
    Playing knock-downs and also penny up the wall (still might happen - I don't know). 
  • Options
    No mobile phones and not many had ladlines but word always got round that there was a kickabout at the local park.

I assume because people had real friends that they spoke to and not the imaginery ones they have on social media.
  • Options
    Penny for the guy, bangers, Catherine wheels, etc.
  • Options
    Bunking on a lewis coach to get back from away games.
  • Options
    robroy said:
    SodaStreams
    Just bought one...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    people outside train stations and pubs with trays of bic cigarette lighters
    Also selling small flags with large pins in tray’s 
    (may have been charity’s)
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    The Beverley Sisters……All your Own with the irritating Huw Weldon being the compare……The very middle of the road King Brothers seemed to be on there every bloody week, oh how boring they were.
    The Appleyards and Amos & Andy.
    All mid to late 50’s.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    Drink driving. My dad used to be the worst for it. 10 pints down the football club then drive me home. Then a big campaign come out and the whole attitude changed. Mental cos he was a fireman and always told us stories of a bloke getting decapitated and cutting people out of cars from doing it. Not one to be proud of but it was definitely worse 25-30 years ago.
    My old man did this his entire life and finally got caught and done about ten years ago, his response was “country’s gone”.

Drink driving was very common in the past.  Thankfully it is far less common now.  Well definitely in towns and cities.  

Come to SW France, where the locals practice it in the hope it will become an Olympic sport at Paris 2024!
  • Options
    The H&S mob of today would have had a meltdown on the 1 day every year when Charlton Boys School along with numerous other south London schools boarded trains and departed for their day trip to France. Cant remember ever seeing a teacher or anyone responsible overseeing anything. There must be thousands of flick knives on the seabed near Dover as everyone bottled bringing them back through customs 😂 it was also the 1 day in the year where we could fratenise with the fairer sex
  • Options
    Meat raffles down the pub. Such a weird prize.

And as I kid was always told it was illegal to put the light on in the car when driving. What was that all about?
    Isn't that true? I won't let me kids put the light on
  • Options
    robroy said:
    SodaStreams
    Just bought one...
    Likewise!
  • Options
    The Beverley Sisters……All your Own with the irritating Huw Weldon being the compare……The very middle of the road King Brothers seemed to be on there every bloody week, oh how boring they were.

Bizarre fact, but true.
    For a short while in the 70's I worked in Audit for the Family Division Principal Registry in Somerset House.
    One of my duties was to bank the fees/takings from the public offices.
    One of the bank clerks was Tony King. Turns out he was the Tony King of the King Brothers.
    I guess they never made their fortune in showbiz!
  • Options
    The Question of Sport board game - it even had the mystery guest round! 
  • Options
    The Black and White Mistral Show  
  • Options

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    As a 14 year old going to bed with a trannie every night.

Watneys Party Seven.
    Whaaaat???
    Transistor Radio. Used to fall asleep with it on my pillow listening to Radio Luxembourg.
  • Options
    www.
  • Options
    Love Thy Neighbour and Mind Your Language, made the Carry On films seem like Oscar contenders.  Jim'll Fix It and Rolf Harris, 'can you tell what it is yet?' yes, a pair of blatant nonces
  • Options
    ads said:
    Love Thy Neighbour and Mind Your Language, made the Carry On films seem like Oscar contenders.  Jim'll Fix It and Rolf Harris, 'can you tell what it is yet?' yes, a pair of blatant nonces
    Mind Your Language - staple Saturday evening fair after Grandstand.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    8-track cassettes. Those things were huge. Today you could rent one out as a bed-sit.

(My first ever buy on HP (is that still a thing?) was an 8-track cassette player for my Capri.) It was £30....)
  • Options
    ads said:
    Mind Your Language - staple Saturday evening fair after Grandstand.
    Not in our house ITV was common!.
  • Options
    A.A. patrol men in brown uniforms on motorbikes with a sidecar waiting at junctions to salute passing motorist with A.A badges on their bumpers.
  • Options
    Meat raffles down the pub. Such a weird prize.
    The ship centurion in Whitstable still has one every  sundsy afternoon 

• Options
    The Appleyards and Amos & Andy.
    All mid to late 50’s.
    Alma Cogan and her husky voice