Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Retained List - Published

Comments

• Options
    Whether Hector and Thomas re-sign will be interesting. I wonder what sort of deals we are offering? 
    If both refuse, we'll have to recruit almost a whole new defence 
  • Options
    I don't believe we even need consider whether the retained players are all good enough right now.

Even with the crop of excellent youngsters coming through, I would still expect 5 or 6 players of 1st team starting standard to come in on permanent contracts.
    Plus of course, the regulation 5 loans by the end of August.

Some development age players and those unwanted contracted senior players will also be loaned out if they can't win a place, if no offers come in for them.

There has to be huge transfer activity. If you dreamed of change of squad, this is it.

• Options
    Skipping a lot of the comments as half way to getting pissed up, only surprise was Albie as genuinely thought he'd get an offer from us.

It's a good clear out, hopefully we do bring in better but the trust statement doesn't fill me with confidence.

However, a smaller squad with more quality over a larger one with more squad players I think is the way to go. 

He says, with our amazing injury record....
  • Options
    General consensus - and my feelings too - seem to be pretty positive about the decisions made. 

FWIW I feel Morgan has had enough chances, whereas I guess they feel Henry deserves a bit longer.  Though Henry doesn't look the part (to me), there's some logic in not being too hasty to discard him, whereas Albie just hasn't pushed on.  The other departures all make sense - minor tinkering was never going to be enough.

Am surprised about Barker, he looked a real prospect, and he's been a regular in an overperforming team...
    Have to admit Barker's departure was a bit of a shock to me.  I've only heard good things about him.
    Sometimes a player may be decent enough, but he's blocking the squad place of a younger better prospect coming through.

• Options
    edited May 2023
    Not bothered by any of those leaving albeit I would have considered retaining Albie.  Issue for me is why?  If released because we have big plans and the budget to improve then great. If released because we are trying to break even and Albie and Innis were offered peanuts which we will now use to bring in even worse performers and play the kids who aren’t ready then that is a huge issue.  Only time will tell.

extending Roddy, Santos and Viggars none of whom have pushed on and offering Bakrin a deal who is the same worries me a bit that we will be going down the same ‘Claydon’ route as last season
  • Options
    Thomas being kept over Innis is presumably about versatility and likelihood of availability. When he’s not suspended or injured Innis is a better centre back than Thomas but understand when he’s being released. Not convinced about Hector yet, personally but he’s probably a bit better than Innis so good we are trying to keep the best of what we’ve got. 

Clare I don’t rate and happy he’s leaving. 

Morgan I’d have given another year with an extension clause in the club’s favour but again, it’s tough to argue he’ll be badly missed. 

As always, how good these decisions are will spend on who we sign to replace them. If they’re better, then great, but recent experiences don’t fill me with confidence that we’ll be doing that. 
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Well played Deano, massive clear out there

interesting summer now  
    There’s two ways of looking at it I suppose. 

1. Ruthless and encouraging that we want to replace with better players

2. Tightening budget and looking to scale back where we can

Not quite sure where I sit tbh 
    I'm not getting excited until I see who we replace them with, given the reaction to last year's list at the time, and how the replacement efforts panned out.
    Agreed, I was ok with Washington going, until I realised he wasn't to be replaced.
    They couldn't wait to get his wage off the books ( rumoured to be £10,000 a week) so he sought pastures new. He told a friend of mine at Bexleyheath Golf Club but did not disclose the actual wage. 
    If he was on £10k per week he wouldn't be playing at Bexleyheath 😄
  • Options
    aliwibble said:

interesting summer now  

I'm not getting excited until I see who we replace them with, given the reaction to last year's list at the time, and how the replacement efforts panned out.
    Agreed, I was ok with Washington going, until I realised he wasn't to be replaced.
    They couldn't wait to get his wage off the books ( rumoured to be £10,000 a week) so he sought pastures new. He told a friend of mine at Bexleyheath Golf Club but did not disclose the actual wage. 
    I didnt know there was a Bexleyheath Golf Club, I know Barnhurst nine hole course unless they have renamed it 
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    aliwibble said:

interesting summer now  

I didnt know there was a Bexleyheath Golf Club, I know Barnhurst nine hole course unless they have renamed it 
    Bexleyheath Golf Course is the one that you can see from the A2 between the junctions for Danson Park and Upton / Townley Road
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bailey said:
    aliwibble said:

interesting summer now  

Bexleyheath Golf Course is the one that you can see from the A2 between the junctions for Danson Park and Upton / Townley Road
    I thought that was Sidcup, never played it so I will go with your knowledge 'Forever' 
  • Options
    feel that with Morgan and Clare it was always gonna be a 50/50 call .. the coin came down against, so farewell .. be good to keep Hector ..  Innis had his moments but overall is a man with a VERY poor temperament .. I can't see many of the players we could do with leaving being anywhere near in demand by other clubs .. suspect until a few more are off the wages bill, there will not be a lot of new blood thru the door 
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    I consistently seem to rate Clare higher than other people 
    Reminded me of a modern day Denis Booth, both were stop gap players, never quite good enough to be your first choice in whatever position they played. 
    Love to see you say that face to face with Dennis Booth.
    knew how to play with pride and commitment.
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    Reminded me of a modern day Denis Booth, both were stop gap players, never quite good enough to be your first choice in whatever position they played. 
    left us at a young age and went on to have a long career // from the same neck of the woods as Bob Curtis .. we must have had a decent midlands scout back in the day  :smile:
  • Options
    feel that with Morgan and Clare it was always gonna be a 50/50 call .. the coin came down against, so farewell .. be good to keep Hector ..  Innis had his moments but overall is a man with a VERY poor temperament .. I can't see many of the players we could do with leaving being anywhere near in demand by other clubs .. suspect until a few more are off the wages bill, there will not be a lot of new blood thru the door 
    I'm not sure it was the case with Albie. DH went on record as saying to Albie that he was getting a run of games to show what he is about. He did that and, well Albie didnt set the world alight bearing in mind he knew he was playing for his contract
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    Bailey said:
    aliwibble said:

interesting summer now  

I thought that was Sidcup, never played it so I will go with your knowledge 'Forever' 
    Sidcup golf club is on Hurst Road.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:

interesting summer now  

More likely 10k a month
  • Options

I saw Richard Chin play last Sunday for Dartford FC. He showed some skill, went off injured. My opinion, a little lightweight 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Swisdom said:
    I'm not convinced I fully agree with the list but I guess it ALL depends on funds and who we are planning on bringing in - which in turn depends on who will be owning us.

If there is a plan - then that's good but if this is still very much up in the air then I am a bit concerned

Personally think there's a few in the llist who will move on (Woollacott for one) still not sure about Payne, Chuks is a great player but is permabroken!

One thing's for sure - this will be a hell of a rebuild
    Thing is, I am not convinced it will be. It should be. It needs to be, if next season is going to mean anything. 

But that doesn't mean it WILL be. Kids, crocks and cheap options ahoy as Sandgaard cuts and cuts until either someone finally gets him to actually set a price or he gives up completely, seem just as likely frankly.
    My thoughts exactly, especially youth being promoted before they are ready.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bailey said:
    He did Lewis and it could be argued so did Clare. My point was that they were never able to hold down a place, Dennis Booth, as I remember played almost a season covering an injured Bob Curtis at right back but never kept Bob out when he returned. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the only positions that Denis Booth didn't play was goalkeeper, centre half and centre forward. 
  • Options
    Fairly pleased with the clear out, Clare is too inconsistent as is Innis and always has a howler in him. Morgan for the amount of games he has had should have improved accordingly and hasnt.

Bonne don't know why he was signed in the first place, probably end up at Ebbsfleet.

Henry is a bit of a surprise i guess they see something that i have failed to see par his goal against QPR.

Hector and Thomas mmmm squad players only...
  • Options
    Big clear out and honestly not too disapointed either way.

Innis, Bonne and Gilbey wasnt shocking tbh.

Clare and Morgan have been hot and cold this season but will miss Clares versatility as other C Lifers have pointed out.

Harness i thought would be in with a shout as assumed neither AMB or Wollacoot would accept being number 2
    Surprised we're keeping both AMB and Woolacott- both will want a starting place.
    Who says we are keeping both ? 
    A club serious about promotion needs 2 good keepers.
  • Options
    edited May 2023

Watched too many under 21 games where Barker ran round like a headless chicken. Failed to develop.
  • Options
    Absolute bollocks about Albie. Better player that was totally misunderstood by the Charlton Life faithful let alone the management. Would rather see his endeavour than the Gilby/Fraser/Kirk/Payne/Henry/Jayasimi who are lazy and not effective .

Hope he is moving because of a better offer than Charlton can provide.
    I agree with you 50%

The part about the rest of them that can all go too 👍
  • Options
    Absolute bollocks about Albie. Better player that was totally misunderstood by the Charlton Life faithful let alone the management. Would rather see his endeavour than the Gilby/Fraser/Kirk/Payne/Henry/Jayasimi who are lazy and not effective .

Hope he is moving because of a better offer than Charlton can provide.
    If Morgan signs for a team that finished higher than Charlton I would be absolutely amazed.
    More likely to be Orient, Stevenage, Gillingham or AFC.

Agree with the other player comments re players just as poor (apart from Fraser). 
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    Bailey said:
    He did Lewis and it could be argued so did Clare. My point was that they were never able to hold down a place, Dennis Booth, as I remember played almost a season covering an injured Bob Curtis at right back but never kept Bob out when he returned. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the only positions that Denis Booth didn't play was goalkeeper, centre half and centre forward. 
    I never saw Booth play for Charlton, but he had a successful career at this level for Hull , Lincoln and Watford where he was a key part of Graham Taylor's first couple of promotion teams.
  • Options
    No big surprises in the various lists.