Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• Cafc43v3r said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Supposedly May is going to Wrexham. But we definitely need a striker of that ilk. 
    Do we, I mean I suppose any team in this league would. But we scored the 5th highest amount of goals this season in the league.

Should have been more enough to get us into the top 6, but we didn’t because we couldn’t keep a clean sheet and we conceded a shed load of goals. 

We definitely need someone to replace JRS and potential Leaburn’s goals for sure. But if we do, our problem is not at the front end of the pitch. 
    I still think we need a full new front 3.

Replacement for JRS, serious competition for Leaburn and a 4th winger that's better than CBT and Campbell.
    Oh, I agree. But as mentioned if we manage to find players of equal (or better) - and if the whole squad is better it will only help - then it’s not going to be going forwards we have a problem. 
  • While our attacking options were inconsistent this year,  they were not the reason we finished mid table. Our primary issue this year was in defense - 66 goals conceded is beyond poor. The defense should be our primary focus this summer (outside of finding someone who can adequately replace JRS) Is AMB good enough?  He started off brightly when he returned this year but has been poor recently.  I am still not completely convinced but he probably will be our keeper.  Innis, Clare, Thomas are not good enough to be starters if you want to challenge for promotion and sessegnon is too injury prone.  We need at least three new defensive starters.  We need a box to box midfielders who is not a defensive liability like Albie and another holding midfielder to spell Dobson at times so he isn’t so knackered half the time.
  • While our attacking options were inconsistent this year,  they were not the reason we finished mid table. Our primary issue this year was in defense - 66 goals conceded is beyond poor. The defense should be our primary focus this summer (outside of finding someone who can adequately replace JRS) Is AMB good enough?  He started off brightly when he returned this year but has been poor recently.  I am still not completely convinced but he probably will be our keeper.  Innis, Clare, Thomas are not good enough to be starters if you want to challenge for promotion and sessegnon is too injury prone.  We need at least three new defensive starters.  We need a box to box midfielders who is not a defensive liability like Albie and another holding midfielder to spell Dobson at times so he isn’t so knackered half the time.
    I am not sure our defensive issues are even just a personnel thing. We most certainly need better quality, but also I’m not sure if how much mentality, coaching, style of play etc also account for it.

Its been so abysmal for the last few seasons, but especially this, that something really needs to be changed.

You can’t keep gifting goals like we do, it changes the whole flow of the game. 
  • The last time we paid a transfer fee for anyone was August 2021!
    Is our transfer embargo over now?
    We will be getting more loans and free agents, not what we need to get us out of this awful league.
  • The last time we paid a transfer fee for anyone was August 2021!
    Is our transfer embargo over now?
    We will be getting more loans and free agents, not what we need to get us out of this awful league.
    Fraser and aneke Jan 22
  • When does the list of released players get um released? 
  • Sponsored links:

• When does the list of released players get um released? 
    Dean Holden is having a conversation with the list this week... 
  • I don't know about Clare.
    He seems to epitomise the "flatter to deceive" cliche.
    Sometimes he !ooks a world beater when he is confidently driving forward with the ball.
    Other times he inhabits no man's land while the oppo pass him by.
    Takes a good throw in. Sometimes.
  • Clare is one that will split opinions which really confirms we need to aim higher.

For some him getting another deal confirms our lack of ambition and small budget, for others releasing him will do the same.
  • Personally dont have an issue Clare staying but maybe sign a natural RB and push him back into midfield. 
  • Feels ominous for Clare that we played Egbo and debuted a youth team right back in our final game. Either Clare has said he's not interested in carrying on (maybe still searching for that elusive team that will play him in midfield) or Holden wants better. I hope it's the latter as that would imply positive step-taking. Or it could just be that Holden wanted to take a look at his other options, we will see.
    Clare was injured supposedly. Not based on any info but I'd expect him to stay, he's fairly versatile which is useful given our injury record
  • The question re Clare should be:

Is Egbo good enough and reliable enough to be 1st choice next season?

If the answer is no, I am afraid Clare has to go.  If the answer is yes might as well keep Clare.

Another example of a player who should be a backup/squad player having to play 30+ games. 
  • Think it's possible we see Clare out Sessengon in 
  • Sponsored links:

• Plaaayer said:
    May is someone we’re looking at and who is keen to come as he is wants to be back this way coming from Dartford, but I suppose it depends on what we’re offering compared to Wrexham. 
    Wrexham it is then.
  • Plaaayer said:
    May is someone we’re looking at and who is keen to come as he is wants to be back this way coming from Dartford, but I suppose it depends on what we’re offering compared to Wrexham. 
    Interesting, he’s got another year on his contract so would cost a fee. Also 30 this summer so likely his first and last big contract.

https://www.ctfc.com/news/2022/january/may-extend-his-future-at-cheltenham-town/#:~:text=Alfie%20May%20has%20committed%20his,at%20the%20Jonny%2DRocks%20Stadium.
  • Personally dont have an issue Clare staying but maybe sign a natural RB and push him back into midfield. 
    Why though? He was poor every time he was asked to play in midfield for us, much like he was at Oxford. He's a right back long before he's a midfielder no matter what he thinks. There's a reason three managers since Adkins (who dropped him as soon as he could) have played him anywhere but in midfield. He's been RB, CB, I think he was LB once but Jackson, Garner and Holden (and Hayes I guess) all had the option to put him in midfield and didn't. Clare's problem is he isn't really a natural anything. RB is his best position but it's still not a perfect fit. If he was in contract I wouldn't be pushing for him to go but considering his deal is up I don't see a lot of value in paying to renew a player who at best is going to be back-up to a position where we already have a RB in contract and need an upgrade either way.
    Why though? He was poor every time he was asked to play in midfield for us, much like he was at Oxford. He's a right back long before he's a midfielder no matter what he thinks. There's a reason three managers since Adkins (who dropped him as soon as he could) have played him anywhere but in midfield. He's been RB, CB, I think he was LB once but Jackson, Garner and Holden (and Hayes I guess) all had the option to put him in midfield and didn't. Clare's problem is he isn't really a natural anything. RB is his best position but it's still not a perfect fit. If he was in contract I wouldn't be pushing for him to go but considering his deal is up I don't see a lot of value in paying to renew a player who at best is going to be back-up to a position where we already have a RB in contract and need an upgrade either way.
    He played at LB several times this season and I don’t like you for reminding me. 
  • Plaaayer said:
    Would be very happy with that 
  • Just read he started his career at Millwall.
  • I imagine May will end up somewhere like Peterborough, Wrexham or QPR based on the social media murmurs.

I can't see us spending a few on a 30 year old when our squad is depleted as it is and he comes from a Millwall family apparently. 

I think someone like Sam Smith is more likely, on a free and can play as a striker or winger 
  • We need a wholesale clear out and in my opinion a turnaround of maybe ten players  but realistically we’ll see something less and on that basis I’m happy for Clare to remain as a squad utility player. If he’s first eleven next season then we’ve not really understood the need to do something about our appalling defensive record this season. He was as big a culprit as anyone. 
    It’s a shame he was injured yesterday as that would have been a good chance to see how he did in midfield with Dobson sitting out. I would probably keep Clare but if we can sign Sessegnon then I would probably release him. Clare would be a 100% keep if we are going to play Holden’s previously preferred 3-5-2 but if keeping the 4-3-3 then it’s more in the balance

Similar to Morgan where I’d probably keep but if they are released then I’m not going to be too fussed, they are both 60:40 keep for me