Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2023
    Didn't take much from Storrie beyond 'we will be good, honest, please renew'.
  • Options
    I wouldn't get too excited about the top 6 budget comments , you remember last year TS told us all our budget was top 3 in the league, its all just a soundbite to stop people from being put off buying season tickets. I very much doubt the quality will be an improvement on what we have seen this year. A mixture last minute loans for unproven youngsters, kids coming through our academy to fill out the squad, a few injury prone free transfers on the cheap and maybe the odd punt on a league 2/ confrence player with nothing but potential 
  • Options
    We'll probably fix our defence finally and then have nobody to ship the goals in.
  • Options
    This thread is not needed.
  • Options
    CH4RLTON said:
    I wouldn't get too excited about the top 6 budget comments , you remember last year TS told us all our budget was top 3 in the league, its all just a soundbite to stop people from being put off buying season tickets. I very much doubt the quality will be an improvement on what we have seen this year. A mixture last minute loans for unproven youngsters, kids coming through our academy to fill out the squad, a few injury prone free transfers on the cheap and maybe the odd punt on a league 2/ confrence player with nothing but potential 
    Source?
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    CH4RLTON said:
    Sauce?
    No just a big pinch of salt.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redhenry said:
    CH4RLTON said:
    Source?
    The last few seasons 
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    If we can keep AMB, Ness, Campbell, Dobson and Leaburn then I reckon there are 2-3 more nuggets in our academy who could make a big impact next season.  Mitchell and Elerwere being the obvious two but maybe Kanu, Casey, Rylah or Bower could step up too.
    These are stars of the future and if we can supplement them with 4-5 top class loanees (of JRS types) and 3-4 top quality signings then I think we would look a whole different and quality proposition straight away.
  • Options
    That's always the point though, if we make a about 7 or 8 very good signings we'll look decent.

We never do.
  • Options
    If you're beig really hopeful and generous with your thinking you could say that Sandgaard is sat there knowing that he's tried three different approaches across three different years and none of them have worked, so he might need to pivot again to get a return on his investment. Year one he was motivated and willing to spend but hamstrung by the lateness of the takeover and the stupid salary cap. Decent, experienced squad hit by injury, finished 7th on GD. Year two he changed strategy, decided the all-powerful algorithm would save the day and tried a combo of big individual signings and cheap data gambles. Set the manager up wrong and had a disaster. 13th. Year three decided to do it all the cheapest way possible while showing no interest. Gave the manager the right profile of players but at the wrong level and gambled on Chuks being fit all season, which he very wasn't. 10th/11th.
    Three different approaches, and somewhere in the middle of it all there's a solution. He doesn't have to spend millions and millions. Talk to Holden, use data, have Gallen profile the players. It's clear that we need better quality full backs and another good centre back with some experience. There's question marks over whether playing with a Dobson type is the solution and we need a player to do what Albie does better and with more consistency. Same with Fraser. We won't find a player at JRS's level but it's not impossible to get wingers to do half of what he did on both flanks. We need another striker. Taking the year one enthusiasm (which I accept isn't coming back), the year two willing to spend the right amount on an individual player where appropriate and the year three approach of correctly identifying the profile of the player (O'Connell, Egbo, JRS, Wollacott, McGrandles, Sessegnon these were the types of players the manager wanted, they just weren't all good/fit enough) would be a sensible approach. This season's squad building with a good budget could even work.
    TS wants shot of it. If he can't get someone to cave to his demands then it's not impossible that he would accept he has to go on and would change his approach again as he always does and put a bit more money into the playing staff that Holden wants in the hopes that the team could get into the Play-Offs, get promoted and then be easier to sell without making a big, embarrasing loss. To be clear, I don't honestly think this is the case at all, but it's the only way you could possibly rationalise the idea that the playing budget has increased for this season. Again though, do think it's bullshit.
    This is where this season was so frustrating. For the first time it felt like we had a little bit more of an idea of what we were doing. Identified a style of play and recruited players that fit. But the budget wasn’t enough so we were probably 3/4 good players short of Garner-ball being a success. Add a CB, LB, CM and ST to that summer squad and we could have been in the top 6 

Holden has his own style of play, so we need to be recruiting for that and getting rid of anyone that doesn’t fit 

• Options
    That's always the point though, if we make a about 7 or 8 very good signings we'll look decent.

We never do.
    Sure but I guess my point was more that (subject to sales of course) we go into next season with some outstanding youth team kids in the squad, many of whom will have had a year in and around the first team.  It is a fantastic base to start and I hope whomever is our owner makes the most of it.  Go up and maybe the club could grow with them.
  • Options
    Jonniesta said:
    Looks like the Exodus has begun. We are never to see Bonne, Penney or Kilkenny in a Charlton shirt again. 

I've cried so many tears that somehow none are coming with this announcement. 

Edited to add link: https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-trio-wont-be-involved-at-cheltenham-as-their-addicks-careers-are-ended-ahead-of-final-day/
    Holden is set to bring Ryan Inniss back into his squad after the former Palace defender served his suspension.

B) 
  • Options
    Charlton offloading its 2022/23 deadwood

firewood satisfying GIF
    Where's the other truckload?
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Jonniesta said:
    Looks like the Exodus has begun. We are never to see Bonne, Penney or Kilkenny in a Charlton shirt again. 

Edited to add link: https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-trio-wont-be-involved-at-cheltenham-as-their-addicks-careers-are-ended-ahead-of-final-day/
    Holden is set to bring Ryan Inniss back into his squad after the former Palace defender served his suspension.

B) 
    That 100% confirms mid table next season for some.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

We never do.
    Sure but I guess my point was more that (subject to sales of course) we go into next season with some outstanding youth team kids in the squad, many of whom will have had a year in and around the first team.  It is a fantastic base to start and I hope whomever is our owner makes the most of it.  Go up and maybe the club could grow with them.
    Can I be the first to say, you don't win anything with kids.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Leuth said:
    Jonniesta said:

Holden is set to bring Ryan Inniss back into his squad after the former Palace defender served the latest in a long line of suspensions. The Charlton defender has the worst disciplinary record in English football.

B)
    Edited for clarity ;)
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Inniss as one of 4 CBs is absolutely fine for a tilt at L1 ffs. Ness and Hector as two of the others fine too. And one good one more
    Mitchell is better than any of those 3
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    Leuth said:
    Inniss as one of 4 CBs is absolutely fine for a tilt at L1 ffs. Ness and Hector as two of the others fine too. And one good one more
    Well if that's true, we don't need to sign a CB this summer (except Inniss and Hector, haha)
  • Options
    I know one player we watched a few times and Steve Gallen been seen at their games is Bristol Rovers Aaron Collins .. Holden spoke very highly of him as well before we played them 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Inniss as one of 4 CBs is absolutely fine for a tilt at L1 ffs. Ness and Hector as two of the others fine too.

agree think Inniss with Hector was a strong pairing keep both think will mean Thomas will go to allow room
    for Ness and Mitchell and if Laville leaves might need one more someone who can play across the back four 
  • Options
    IanJRO said:
    Southbank said:
    Leuth said:
    He may well turn out to be but certainly isn't yet. Ideally, he is 5th choice next season and can go out on loan for regular game time in League 2 as undoubtedly a real prospect.
    I'm unconvinced that Mitchell is good enough defensively yet to play in as a CB in a back 4 in L1 against battle hardened centre forwards, but he would be fine if we play 3 CBs as you want one of the CBs to be more of a "baller" who can carry it out. I can also see him playing in midfield.

Mitchell is only 18 after all, Ness only made his breakthrough this season aged 20/21.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    To me this is the nail hit firmly on the head.

A new really good one, Hector, Ness and Inniss as your 4 center backs is a massive upgrade on Inniss, O'Connell, Lavelle and a half fit Thomas.  Which is what we started last season with.

Inniss has played every game he has been avaliable for since we first signed him.  

If we start next season with Ness, Inniss, Lavelle and Thomas we will be in the Brown stuff again.