Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• Options
    Looks like secondary school Gillingham Twitter have convinced themselves May is signing and nothing more.  I’ll be stunned if it’s true.
    I will be more stunned if some of the players mentioned above sign for us. Nothing has changed, we are still a badly run club and not attractive. Just because a takeover has been announced changes nothing.

If I was, Stockton, May, Dack, JCH etc I would not go anywhere near The Valley 
    We are still a big club who pay higher wages in league one if you offer the player the money he wants he will join .. they don’t care who the owner is or what’s happening at the club 
  • Options
    Looks like secondary school Gillingham Twitter have convinced themselves May is signing and nothing more.  I’ll be stunned if it’s true.
    I will be more stunned if some of the players mentioned above sign for us. Nothing has changed, we are still a badly run club and not attractive. Just because a takeover has been announced changes nothing.

Shush. They might hear you
  • Options

Depends how much money we’re offering. We’ll know if that’s changed soon enough. Players won’t care too much about what’s happened in the last few years if the contracts right for them.
  • Options
    Alex Macdonald a non  scoring regular playing midfielder has turned down a new contract with Gills and signed for Stevenage. I really don’t see Gills being any sort of competition for players. If their  new chairman had that much ambition he wouldn’t have kept Neil Harris  either.
    I disagree. 

The incentive there was that Stevenage offered MacDonald a 2 yr deal at the age of 33 and Gills only one year. He has played under Steve Evans before twice, (at Mansfield and the Gills) so he wanted to go and play for him again.

Gills already signed from L1 in January (Dieng from Exeter). He was the Grecians player of the year the season before and they didn't want him to go by all accounts but the gills met his release clause transfer fee and off he went, happy to drop down a division. So they must be paying decent wages.

If it becomes a straight choice for May between CAFC and Gills then I'd be more confident in your assessment.  But this one is less straight forwards because there is a transfer fee involved and right now I'd have more confidence in the Gills meeting Cheltenham's valuation than us. 

But clearly I hope I'm wrong to be cautious around ruling out the gills and you're right. He'll probably sign for Derby now!

• Options
    edited June 2023

What if like Dack & May your family lived close to South London & Charlton offered you higher wages than anyone else.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    We're an established league one club. Our turn out at home is well below15k. We are not a "big" club and playing for CAFC is not in itself an attractive reason for signing.

In my opinion obviously.
  • Options
    As an aside I believe Gillingham under Harris will achieve promotion next season.
    I abhor going there, won’t got to the pre season, don’t enjoy matches against them, but I believe they will be strong enough to get one of the four promotion places.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:
    As an aside I believe Gillingham under Harris will achieve promotion next season.
    I abhor going there, won’t got to the pre season, don’t enjoy matches against them, but I believe they will be strong enough to get one of the four promotion places.
    I hope you are right and they do get out of League 2, but hopefully in the other direction.
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    Scoham said:
    We're an established league one club. Our turn out at home is well below15k. We are not a "big" club and playing for CAFC is not in itself an attractive reason for signing.

In my opinion obviously.
    Whatever way you look at it we’re one of the bigger 7/8 L1 clubs with expectations that we should be challenging the top 6 as a minimum.

For players at the majority of L1 clubs we’d be seen as a step up as the potential is there in a way it isn’t for those clubs.
    We are most definitely a bigger club than the caravan dwellers, and Wrexham 

bigger history than both, bigger fanbase, better ground, and I’m confident better training facilities 

The only reason, he would join either above us is wages and the glam of playing for the current Hollywood owners in north wales.

If it were based purely on a football decision and size of club support and history, we win hands down all day long.
    That may seem arrogant, but facts are facts.
    He would also with luck and a good tail wind have the opportunity to be playing Championship football in twelve months. 
  • Options
    I'm baffled that Gillingham are in the conversation. The competition for May will be from other "promotion seeking" L1 clubs.

Kips said:
    Alex Macdonald a non  scoring regular playing midfielder has turned down a new contract with Gills and signed for Stevenage. I really don’t see Gills being any sort of competition for players. If their  new chairman had that much ambition he wouldn’t have kept Neil Harris  either.
    I disagree. 

The incentive there was that Stevenage offered MacDonald a 2 yr deal at the age of 33 and Gills only one year. He has played under Steve Evans before twice, (at Mansfield and the Gills) so he wanted to go and play for him again.

And Stevenage are in a higher division. Yes, there will be players dropping down for money, but most will want to play at the highest level possible.
  • Options
    Would expect Derby to be the main competitors for May. They've only really got James Collins in terms of strikers. Mcgoldrick was released. 
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    Scoham said:

In my opinion obviously.
    Whatever way you look at it we’re one of the bigger 7/8 L1 clubs with expectations that we should be challenging the top 6 as a minimum.

For players at the majority of L1 clubs we’d be seen as a step up as the potential is there in a way it isn’t for those clubs.

bigger history than both, bigger fanbase, better ground, and I’m confident better training facilities 

The only reason, he would join either above us is wages and the glam of playing for the current Hollywood owners in north wales.

If it were based purely on a football decision and size of club support and history, we win hands down all day long.
    True. But in real life, its very much the case that wages, glamour and the "Hollywood owners" will turn quite a few heads before they're done.
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Would expect Derby to be the main competitors for May. They've only really got James Collins in terms of strikers. Mcgoldrick was released. 
    McGoldrick might stay there, choosing between Derby and a return to Notts County apparently 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    DA9 said:
    Scoham said:

In my opinion obviously.

True. But in real life, its very much the case that wages, glamour and the "Hollywood owners" will turn quite a few heads before they're done.
    Wrexham have sold roughly double the amount of season tickets than we have
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    McGoldrick has been offered a new deal
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    thenewbie said:
    DA9 said:
    Scoham said:

In my opinion obviously.

True. But in real life, it’s very much the case that wages, glamour and the "Hollywood owners" will turn quite a few heads before they're done.
    After the glitz has departed and the owner is mostly back in Hollywood there’s not much in the way of glamour to be had in Wrexham. 
  • Options
    The Wrexham owners won't be able to throw so much money about now they're in League 2 as FFP comes into force.
  • Options
    For the same reason that I said Colbeck is a non runner ie no geographical links or connections with Dean ,both Dack and May are local lads and might fancy moving closer to family and friends. As we have previously seen that can be a big draw.
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    For the same reason that I said Colbeck is a non runner ie no geographical links or connections with Dean ,both Dack and May are local lads and might fancy moving closer to family and friends. As we have previously seen that can be a big draw.
    Probably the last decent payday for both though. 
  • Options
    The Wrexham owners won't be able to throw so much money about now they're in League 2 as FFP comes into force.
    Their income is going to dwarf other clubs though. Loads of season tickets sold and big sponsorship money. 
    Maybe. But their outgoings will already be high so there is a limit to how much more they can spend.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    DA9 said:
    Scoham said:

In my opinion obviously.

True. But in real life, it’s very much the case that wages, glamour and the "Hollywood owners" will turn quite a few heads before they're done.
    After the glitz has departed and the owner is mostly back in Hollywood there’s not much in the way of glamour to be had in Wrexham. 
    True but that's why I said "before they're done." The bubble will burst at some point but it hasn't yet.
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    McGoldrick might stay there, choosing between Derby and a return to Notts County apparently 
    He was excellent in L1, and would be cheat code in L2. I hadn't realised that he's from Nottingham, and came through the County youth ranks, which would surely be the only reason to drop down a division.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    It will not matter, we will be one league above them  :smile:
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    He was excellent in L1, and would be cheat code in L2. I hadn't realised that he's from Nottingham, and came through the County youth ranks, which would surely be the only reason to drop down a division.
    He's a Notts country fan, was at the play off final