Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• Options
    4 players in.
    Hmm, Bexleyboy was right then.

• Options
    Redrobo said:
    4 players in.

Arse-licking again.
  • Options
    Biggest plus and also a bit of confusion for me is we didn’t sell CBT or Dobson. I’m sure the club could have cashed them in if they wanted. 
    No idea about the new signings but hopefully they turn out good signings and we climb the table
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    4 players in.

a broken clock is right twice a day
  • Options
    I think that’s the big plus.
    the fact we’ve kept our best players and added 4 players in positions we needed.

we may not know the quality and indeed they are rogue but I don’t feel like we cut ourselves short this season in terms of depth 
  • Options
    RedRobin said:
    Cosgrove ended up at Barnsley on a free. 
    They could have gone back in for Tedic again so it's possibly quite telling that they chose not to bother.
    Different manager though 
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Biggest plus and also a bit of confusion for me is we didn’t sell CBT or Dobson. I’m sure the club could have cashed them in if they wanted. 
    No idea about the new signings but hopefully they turn out good signings and we climb the table
    This
  • Options
    We have made a raft of signings. Odds suggest that at least one of them will be a good ‘un, I hope it turns out to be one of the permanent acquisitions.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    sam3110 said:

If you're going to compare like with like, then you also need to include loan players we don't have now, notably Rak-Sakyi and Sessegnon. Gilbey was out on loan all last season, while DJ, McGrandles, Lavelle and Kirk were out after January

So if we're comparing our squad now when compared to February, and ignoring fringe youth players like Harness, Clayden, Mitchell, Chin and Elerewe

In
    Isted
    Jones
    May
    Edun
    Taylor
    Watson
    Camara 
    Campbell 2
    Watson 2
    Abankwah
    Tedic
    Kirk (returning)
    McGrandles (returning)

Out
    Bonne
    Clare
    Morgan
    Inniss
    Wollacott
    Egbo
    Henry
    Payne
    Sessegnon
    Rak-Sakyi
    Kane
    Penney
    Kilkenny
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Croydon said:
    The truth is we have gone so rogue with these signings that none of us can really judge how good/bad a window that was. Hopefully we've discovered some gems.
    I agree. But Add the fact that none of them were chosen by the next manager then you've got yourself a recipe for disaster.

You've never heard of them because nobody you have heard of  was taking us serious when they were approached.
  • Options

• Options
    TeeC said:

Torn between average or very good. Think it depends on how good the 4 we signed yesterday are, that could tip me into the very good bucket 
  • Options
    We can take a lot from that window.
    The technical team are clearly setting the direction. The head coach and staff will be expected to perform within that.
    Could this be the start of some continuity rather than window to window rebuilds?

We were a CB away from signing an entirely new 11 in a 3-5-2. Overlay that with what is already in the building and I like how we can make subtle differences through the centre of the pitch. Flat 3 + 2 ST or  2  DM + CAM + 2 ST (dice 5) or 1 DM + 2 CAM + 2ST (box) or 2 DM + 2 CAM + 1 ST (deeper box).

The new manager appointment is likely going to be the most important signing of the lot!
  • Options
    TeeC said:

Rich needs to run this poll after a dozen games, not the morning after, what does anyone really know how it has gone on 2nd September...I mean 17% say poor...🤦‍♂️
    Thought that 17% would be more based on comments on here..
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    4 players in.

Arse-licking again.
    Oh dear. 
    Touch a bit of a nerve did I? 
  • Options
    TeeC said:

Rich needs to run this poll after a dozen games, not the morning after, what does anyone really know how it has gone on 2nd September...I mean 17% say poor...🤦‍♂️
    Thought that 17% would be more based on comments on here..
    Agree. Funny isn't it?

I suppose that's what they say about an empty vessel rattling the most?
  • Options
    On reflection, unsure what to make of it. We had a different owner and a manager when the window opened. For several reasons, we've suffered our worst start to a season for many a year and the script of building a promotion squad has quickly gone to plugging holes in a leaky bucket. That said, a week ago, folk were suggesting that the timing of the managerial casualty was in order to avoid having to fill the holes, so that evidently wasn't true.

You could argue that as things needed to change, the SMT acted quickly to remove Holden, but it looks more like a panic decision as, if there was a succession plan, that script has been burned too. Part of the thinking might have been that with only 5 games played, it's not too late to salvage the season. Others will say Holden should have been given more time and wasn't backed. There are always alternative ways of looking at it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I really don’t understand all the doom and gloom at this stage, let’s give the players a chance before forming an opinion. 

League One is not great this year. No other team in this division stands out or has spent millions. 

I still think Leaburn and May could be a potent strike force and hopefully in Tedic we have someone that will keep them on their toes.

I could be completely wrong, but I still think we’ll be in the mix at the end of the season…
  • Options
    It's amazing how some fans views can change when new players come in.
    Hopefully they will be good enough but the stats and experience is not good reading.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    I am not sure how I feel. Normally I would be excited about four deadline deals, but somehow I am flat. The signing of injury prone and unfit players has continued. Hopefully the two weeks after Fleetwood provides an opportunity for the walking wounded to get fit.

For me the squad is very unbalanced still. Excluding Goalkeepers we only have two senior left footed players ( Edun and Fraser ) now although at least Edun is a left back.

For this reason like others I would have liked the extra defender to be left footed and I  also note that the replacements for the outgoing lefties Payne and JRS are both right footed.

@DOUCHER briefly got my hopes up about Lewis Bate ( yes I know he said after Holden's departure it was unlikely but I guess  I wanted to believe it was possible). I note that he didn't move despite reported interest from Fleetwood. Maybe one to revisit in January possibly on a perm ?He would be a player that we could build a team around and would have been a perfect replacement for Payne.

On strikers I think that Lapado could become available in January. Let's hope that we are in contention then. Ipswich seem to move players on quickly when they have served their purpose. 

Had these four signings been in the door before Orient maybe I would feel differently and maybe with the exception of Tennai Watson I think that they could have been available earlier.
  • Options
    Whilst there is a potential we may has assembled a group of world beaters, the evidence isn't very strong. Obviously will give the new boys a chance but the rhetoric surrounding league one being weaker than the last few seasons is the exact reason I feel gutted that we didn't 'go for it' in this window. We live in hope but usually it's just squad depth I am worried about whereas this season I am worried about the XI and the depth, the right appointment on the manager front could alleviate a lot of concerns but something in me just feels they're gonna get that wrong too, 3 points today could change the mood around camp somewhat UTA
  • Options
    Month to get fit, month to get game time, month to gel. January we can sign some new blokes, no one has ever heard of……

I really hope I’m wrong…..
  • Options
    On a positive note, at least the manager won't be complaining about the new signings because we don't have one. 
  • Options
    It's amazing how some fans views can change when new players come in.
    Hopefully they will be good enough but the stats and experience is not good reading.
    Except when Bielik and Cullen came in. And later on, Gallagher. 
    I though Bielik wasn't very good at first, but I didn’t realise how young he was.
    But overall stats-wise, you’re right. 
  • Options

It’s moved a bit recently, over 60% think it’s poor or average. Depends if you see it with some context. It’s a good window considering we have no manager and that must’ve put some players off, perhaps why Cosgrove turned us down. I voted average as I don’t see it as a promotion team. I’m really hoping I’m wrong.