Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Best left back we’ve ever had?

124»

Comments

• Remember the days when we had Minto and Barness ( both quality left backs ) in the same squad. This season we started with no left footed left backs. How times change. 😢
  • Given that he played for England, and is an undisputed club legend, then SCP is the clear winner here.

Having said that a very honorable mention must go to Mark Reid, who was absolutely excellent for us, for 5-6 years if I remember correctly, and even headbutted a linesman at either Oxford or Norwich, and got away with it!

He wasn't the best, but Mark Bowen was an exceptionally classy full-back for us as well.
  • Deffo Powell. But Kinsey was excellent & Mark Reid under-rated. Liked Warman as well.
  • Ray Tumbridge ;) although I think I remember him more for Dartford than I did Charlton as I was only 5 when he was here.
  • brownbear said:
    Given that he played for England, and is an undisputed club legend, then SCP is the clear winner here.

Having said that a very honorable mention must go to Mark Reid, who was absolutely excellent for us, for 5-6 years if I remember correctly, and even headbutted a linesman at either Oxford or Norwich, and got away with it!

He wasn't the best, but Mark Bowen was an exceptionally classy full-back for us as well.
    I think "headbutted" might be too strong a description, but definitely "collided" with referee David Axcell at Norwich.
  • How is it not unanimously Chris Powell? Granted I never had the pleasure of seeing Mark Reid play but Chrissy Powell was capped at senior level and an integral part of some of the most sustained success we ever had
  • edited April 2023
    PaddyP17 said:
    How is it not unanimously Chris Powell? Granted I never had the pleasure of seeing Mark Reid play but Chrissy Powell was capped at senior level and an integral part of some of the most sustained success we ever had
    Chris Powell was part of a team that got us promoted from the second tier, and then played four consecutive years in the top flight.

Mark Reid was part of a team that got us promoted from the second tier, and then played four consecutive years in the top flight.

You didn't see Reid play yet wonder how he could be better than Powell?

By that logic, Lilian Thuram was better than Sam Bartram. 
  • Sponsored links:

• PaddyP17 said:
    How is it not unanimously Chris Powell? Granted I never had the pleasure of seeing Mark Reid play but Chrissy Powell was capped at senior level and an integral part of some of the most sustained success we ever had
    Chris Powell was part of a team that got us promoted from the second tier, and then played four consecutive years in the top flight.

Mark Reid was part of a team that got us promoted from the second tier, and then played four consecutive years in the top flight.

You didn't see Reid play yet wonder how he could be better than Powell?

By that logic, Lilian Thuram was better than Sam Bartram. 
    I was genuinely asking tbf. What would put Reid above Powell? 
  • It's tough to choose between Reid and Powell. One plus for Reid was he was an excellent penalty taker. I think he was also a better defender, but Powell better going forward.

Hermann is possibly the best,as he was also such a goal threat.
  • It's tough to choose between Reid and Powell. One plus for Reid was he was an excellent penalty taker. I think he was also a better defender, but Powell better going forward.

Hermann is possibly the best,as he was also such a goal threat.
    You say that.. he only scored 3 league goals in 132 games.
  • SCP
    Scott Minto
    Mark Reid
    Brian Kinsey
    Lawrie Madden 
    Lawrie Madden……really???
  • Konchesky’s mother certainly thought he was and famously didn’t hold back from letting Curb’s know it, on more than one occasion when he wasn’t selected.🙄