Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Best left back we’ve ever had?

Comments

• I always liked Mark Reid. I’m not sure how anyone can compare Phil Warman and Brian Kinsey with him; they were both decent but average second division full-backs.
    Funny how people class players decent but average second division full backs.
    At least with all players mentioned in this section everyone had pride and would do their best when pulling on the shirt.
    Phil Warman for me could also score a blinder as at WBA  away.
  • Reid or Powelly for me btw. 
  • Frank Lock by a country mile
  • Powell followed by Hreidarsson (didn’t rate him at CB though) from my time.

Really enjoyed watching Wiggins but can’t compare given most of his games were in the third tier.
  • Chris Powell. Close the thread. 
  • Is my memory playing tricks or did Konchesky get called up for England when he was mainly playing in front of Powell in midfield. 
  • Best I've seen in a Charlton shirt - SCP.
  • Chris Powell. Brian Kinsey was a superb full back as well. It would have been interesting to see how good he would have been in the top flight. I think he would have been fine.
    He was never sold as Gliksten always managed to move someone else on, i.e Bailey, Bonds, Glover and Campbell.
  • Mark Reid, Scottie and SCP  for me are the obvious 3 choices . Matt Penney anyone ? Maybe a bit early in his flourishing Charlton career.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2023
    Easily Chris Powell..Minto and Reid were good but SCP different gravy. Warman and Kinsey both good club servants..no word of Paul Sturgess and Kevin dickenson? 🙂
  • Mark Reid, closely followed by Chris Powell.
  • Sir Chris Powell , a rarity in that he was an oppo defender (Southend ) that you would watch and think fcuk me he’s too good for them , every time .

• Gary Borrowdale
  • Minto
    Reid
    Warman
  • edited April 2023
    Mark Reid. Just edges out Tom Hovi
  • 0n reflection 
    the thread heading is stupid. 
    1t should read "Who is the best left back you have seen play for us" or "Who was your favourite left back"
    Different generations will have varied opinions. 
  • It's Chris Powell, end of discussion.
    I never know if half of these comments are wind ups or our fans really are so lacking in football nouse.
    Yeah, completely agree.

I loved Mark Reid and Scott Minto was a class act, but Chris Powell was absolutely brilliant consistently and at the top level. I never thought I'd see the day when a current Charlton player turned out for England, but nobody else in our recent history deserved it more.
  • pettgra said:
    Chris Powell. Brian Kinsey was a superb full back as well. It would have been interesting to see how good he would have been in the top flight. I think he would have been fine.
    He was never sold as Gliksten always managed to move someone else on, i.e Bailey, Bonds, Glover and Campbell.
    Brian Kinsey never wanted to move on Having been born local and living on The Woolwich Rd. Also he was 3rd or 4th generation Charlton . His grandfather having helped dig the ground out. Also Brian was a very good outside left as well. For me he is Mr Charlton Athletic and can still be seen at the ground.
  • Sponsored links:

• pettgra said:
    Chris Powell. Brian Kinsey was a superb full back as well. It would have been interesting to see how good he would have been in the top flight. I think he would have been fine.
    Brian Kinsey never wanted to move on Having been born local and living on The Woolwich Rd. Also he was 3rd or 4th generation Charlton . His grandfather having helped dig the ground out. Also Brian was a very good outside left as well. For me he is Mr Charlton Athletic and can still be seen at the ground.
    I first saw Kins play outside left for us against Chelsea when he was still an amateur at Bromley. I've got an idea his brother used to play for Borough at the Rectory Field. 

• pettgra said:
    Good stuff. His uncle Peter Etherton used to play for Charlton as well. I think during the war, if not immediately after. Not sure of my dates though.
  • Seen a lot of good left backs from Brian Kinsey onwards Mark Reid and Rhoys Wiggins were both excellent but the best for me was either Scottie Minto or SCP can’t split them
  • edited April 2023
    I can only presume that some of our supporters feel it terribly unjust that Kinsey, Warman, Wiggins, Barness, Thatcher and Jackson didn't play for England as they were better than Chris Powell  :D

Mind you I don't recall anyone calling for any of them to be capped at the time.
  • edited April 2023
    Was a big Konchesky fan, but the answer is Sir Chris Powell. 
  • I can only presume that some of our supporters feel it terribly unjust that Kinsey, Warman, Konchesky, Wiggins, Barness, Thatcher, Jackson and Young didn't play for England as they were better than Chris Powell  :D

Mind you I don't recall anyone calling for any of them to be capped at the time.
    Konchesky did get capped as a Charlton player.
  • Hard to not vote for SCP, but I have a soft spot for Scott Minto. Stick Minto in that 2000s PL side, and he would have shone.
  • So - as opposed to this season - left back is one of our stronger positions- cant argue with any of those put forward. SCP; Scott Minto and Mark Reid personal favourites mainly because they played in the higher standard of football to the rest 
  • I also remember Mark Reid ending up virtually next to us in the Arthur Wait stand at Selhurst with his winger. Hell of a clatter against the hoardings and he just gets up and runs back to his position 
  • Foxy anyone?