Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Best left back we’ve ever had?

Comments

• Jonathan spector?
  • Powell, closely followed by Reid and Minto. Big Herman a very good player 
  • SCP followed by Bowen for me.
  • Interesting to see if Toby Bower makes it onto this list in future. 
  • No one going for our hat trick scoring left back ? 
  • Without a doubt Mark Reid - and to have John Humphrey on the other side - WOW ...
    First match at the Valley for me was 69 years ago so i saw a bit of Hewie and you cannot compare him to modern full backs, hardly crossed the halfway line - but will say this about him great emergency goalkeeper on a par with Stevie Brown ...

Cannot believe Phil Warman got a mention but its all about opinions.

Honorary mention to Chris Powell and Lurch.

• Powell.
    Reid.
    Minto.

All very good, hard to separate.
  • Mark Reid for me.
  • Brian Kinsey for me but I’m probably biased,having been coached by him ,and played along side him for a Sunday club Eltham hill with his younger brother Peter managed by middle brother bill kinsey.
  • edited April 2023
    Minto was classy but SCP was a better defender 
  • Sponsored links:

• Davo53 said:
    Brian Kinsey for me but I’m probably biased,having been coached by him ,and played along side him for a Sunday club Eltham hill with his younger brother Peter managed by middle brother bill kinsey.
    I mentiond in an earlier post that I had seen Kins brother play at the Rectory Field it was for Eltham Hill against Borough. Thanks Davo. 
  • seth plum said:
    Powell.
    Reid.
    Minto.

All very good, hard to separate.
    I'd have them in that exact order.
  • Toss up between SCP and Jamie Stuart
  • edited April 2023
    IanJRO said:
    Toss up between SCP and Jamie Stuart

Jamie Stuart not a name I thought I'd see in a list of best left backs...Are you Jamie Stuart?
  • Hard to argue the case against Powelly but I really did enjoy watching Mark Bowen in 97/98 season.
  • Konchesky? Was terrible at left back, like him as a left midfielder.

my favorite will always be SCP but I really liked Rhoys Wiggins in the 11/12 season. 
    I wish we had some terrible players like him now.

Controversial but I preferred HH to SCP as a left back.
  • Richard J said:
    I can only presume that some of our supporters feel it terribly unjust that Kinsey, Warman, Konchesky, Wiggins, Barness, Thatcher, Jackson and Young didn't play for England as they were better than Chris Powell  :D

Mind you I don't recall anyone calling for any of them to be capped at the time.
    Konchesky did get capped as a Charlton player.
    So did Young and two of the others are Welsh 🤣🤣🤣
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Richard J said:
    I can only presume that some of our supporters feel it terribly unjust that Kinsey, Warman, Konchesky, Wiggins, Barness, Thatcher, Jackson and Young didn't play for England as they were better than Chris Powell  :D

Mind you I don't recall anyone calling for any of them to be capped at the time.
    Konchesky did get capped as a Charlton player.
    So did Young and two of the others are Welsh 🤣🤣🤣
    And I'm not sure how good Young would be at Left Back either 😅
  • SCP for me as well, closely followed by Mark Reid.
  • Kelly Youga 
  • Sponsored links:

• Sir Chris   Absolutely 
  • A toss up between Powell and Konchesky in my lifetime.
    Grant Basey behind them......
  • 1:Mark Reid, without a shadow of a doubt
    2: SCP
    3: Scott Minto
    4: Paul Konchesky
  • SCP
    Minto
    Reid
  • Basey??? Was terrible and slow. Watch the millwall 4-4 game in 2009. 
  • Heart says Powell, head says Minto.

• pettgra said:
    Chris Powell. Brian Kinsey was a superb full back as well. It would have been interesting to see how good he would have been in the top flight. I think he would have been fine.
    He was never sold as Gliksten always managed to move someone else on, i.e Bailey, Bonds, Glover and Campbell.
    Brian Kinsey never wanted to move on Having been born local and living on The Woolwich Rd. Also he was 3rd or 4th generation Charlton . His grandfather having helped dig the ground out. Also Brian was a very good outside left as well. For me he is Mr Charlton Athletic and can still be seen at the ground.
    I first saw Kins play outside left for us against Chelsea when he was still an amateur at Bromley. I've got an idea his brother used to play for Borough at the Rectory Field. 

Pretty sure his brothers name was Peter.
  • SCP
    Scott Minto
    Mark Reid
    Brian Kinsey
    Lawrie Madden 
  • Chris Powell 
    Scott Minto - didn't seem like he was with us for long but loved him
    If the conversation was who THOUGHT they were the best left back Paul Konchesky would walk it. I personally thought he was crap at left back but class in midfield 
  • Carter said:
    Chris Powell 
    Scott Minto - didn't seem like he was with us for long but loved him
    If the conversation was who THOUGHT they were the best left back Paul Konchesky would walk it. I personally thought he was crap at left back but class in midfield 
    almost half his career appearances were for Charlton (180) over 6 years