Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England vs Ukraine - Euro 2024 Qualifier

2nd game of England’s qualifying campaign is this afternoon against Ukraine at Wembley (5pm kick off).

A chance to follow up on the impressive away win at Italy on Thursday and really establish ourselves as favourites to win the group. 

Will be interesting to see what changes are made - I expect Bellingham may need replacing after coming off with a knock. Got a feeling James Maddison might come in. 

Come on England.

Comments

• Foden for Grealish who I thought a pretty poor against Italy would be my shout and I guess Trippier for Shaw who will be suspended. Otherwise the same staring eleven subject to injuries. I wouldn’t start McGuire personally but that’s never gonna happen and there’s not exactly a lot of alternatives in the squad. 
  • I understand what you are saying about McGuire Sillybilly, but he didn't do much wrong on Thursday. 

Really need to win this afternoon to consolidate that result in Italy. 
  • Maddison is starting - did I read or dream this?
  • Maddison is starting - did I read or dream this?
    Read.
  • Looking forward to what should be another good win for us
    I would also drop McGuire not been at his best for awhile need to bed someone in his place now so we are good & ready going forward
    Going for a good 3-1 win for us
    Come On England  B)
  • Foden for Grealish who I thought a pretty poor against Italy would be my shout and I guess Trippier for Shaw who will be suspended. Otherwise the same staring eleven subject to injuries. I wouldn’t start McGuire personally but that’s never gonna happen and there’s not exactly a lot of alternatives in the squad. 
    Hope we don't play Trippier left back but think we will. Chilwell is more than good enough, we shouldn't be playing full backs on their wrong side.
  • Maddison for Grealish apparently.

Bellingham’s fit which is good news.
  • edited March 2023
    At a point in time where I really look forward to seeing England, especially as there are so few friendlies now.

Great to hear if Maddison is finally getting his opportunity in an England shirt.

Would normally be worried about facing Ukraine, and whilst we shouldnt underestimate them, only nine of their whole squad play outside of Ukraine - So their lack of overall sharpness should clearly show against us this Qualifying campaign. 
  • Wellred said:
    Looking forward to what should be another good win for us
    I would also drop McGuire not been at his best for awhile need to bed someone in his place now so we are good & ready going forward
    Come On England  B)
    I am not saying I would or wouldn't but who for? 

I think one thing Southgate has done well is not chop and change things for the sake of it.  All things being equal is it worth dropping someone if the replacement isn't going to be significantly better?

Most teams that win things, or go close, have a core of players that have played a lot together.

Maybe use the later group games to rest or test but qualify first?
  • I understand what you are saying about McGuire Sillybilly, but he didn't do much wrong on Thursday. 

Maguire "gave away" the goal, which changed the game.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2023
    Foden for Grealish who I thought a pretty poor against Italy would be my shout and I guess Trippier for Shaw who will be suspended. Otherwise the same staring eleven subject to injuries. I wouldn’t start McGuire personally but that’s never gonna happen and there’s not exactly a lot of alternatives in the squad. 
    Hope we don't play Trippier left back but think we will. Chilwell is more than good enough, we shouldn't be playing full backs on their wrong side.
    Press Rumour is that Henderson | Chilwell | Maddison will be the starters
  • I like Maguire in an england shirt, but we do need to start finding talent at centre back. I personally would have Smalling back in the squad. He’s consistently one of Roma’s best players and their fans love him.
  • I like Maguire in an england shirt, but we do need to start finding talent at centre back. I personally would have Smalling back in the squad. He’s consistently one of Roma’s best players and their fans love him.
    Guy is 33, no thanks. 

Ben White and Tomori should be ahead of him. 
    Guy is 33, no thanks. 

He’d do a job till next summer. Tomori has been out of form this season and there seems to be an issue with White (who’s not playing CB for his club) and England.
    Guy is 33, no thanks. 

White doesn’t play CB for Arsenal so I don’t think he’s an option for England. 

Mmmm…….well yes and no but I’d also add that it’s very rare that he would do that, in fact I can’t remember seeing him doing so(can you?), it happens to the very best of players on occasion.
    I still rate him very highly and worthy of his place in the starting eleven.
    Guy is 33, no thanks. 

He’d do a job till next summer. Tomori has been out of form this season and there seems to be an issue with White (who’s not playing CB for his club) and England.
    He just got the man of the match in the second leg against Tottenham and has played most games this season? 

He's a better prospect to bed into the England squad than a 33 year old that won't even likely to feature in the upcoming tournaments. 
    Guy is 33, no thanks. 

White doesn’t play CB for Arsenal so I don’t think he’s an option for England. 
    Played 202 games at centre back in his career. 
  • edited March 2023
    I like Maguire in an england shirt, but we do need to start finding talent at centre back. I personally would have Smalling back in the squad. He’s consistently one of Roma’s best players and their fans love him.
    Guy is 33, no thanks. 

See a lot of calls for Tomori to be included, but wonder how many of those are based on the fact that he plays for AC Milan, rather than how he plays... Especially if like you say, he's been out of form a lot - Southgate has seen him in training for England, so could well be something he's not impressed with.

As for Ben White, imagine the rumours of a falling out with Steve Holland in Qatar were true... Not surprising he hasnt been given another chance, as feels that the England squad these days, appears to be built on unity and harmony
    Guy is 33, no thanks. 

See a lot of calls for Tomori to be included, but wonder how many of those are based on the fact that he plays for AC Milan, rather than how he plays... Especially if like you say, he's been out of form a lot - Southgate has seen him in training for England, so much be something he's not impressed with.

As for Ben White, imagine the rumours of a falling out with Steve Holland in Qatar were true... Not surprising he hasnt been given another chance, as feels that the England squad these days, appears to be built on unity and harmony

Tomori top class for Milan

Fikayo Tomori has slipped out of the England reckoning, but his calm and measured performance was a timely reminder of the qualities he can offer should manager Gareth Southgate require them.

The 25-year-old former Chelsea defender has matured in Serie A and was a rock in the Milan defence here - strong in the air, showing impeccable timing with his tackles and calm on the ground.

Spurs hardly subjected Milan to intense scrutiny, but when needed Tomori was excellent and a key figure as they reached the quarter-finals.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64881080

• Sponsored links:

Guy is 33, no thanks. 

He just got the man of the match in the second leg against Tottenham and has played most games this season? 

He's a better prospect to bed into the England squad than a 33 year old that won't even likely to feature in the upcoming tournaments. 
    Mate of mine is an Arsenal season ticket holder and was raving about him when I spoke to him yesterday.

Oh - I didn't remember. My mistake. In that case if there's someone better then, yes, give him a rest. 
  • No Foden due to surgery to remove appendix.
  • Pleased for Madds, but not sure he’s suited to this type of opposition.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Wellred said:
    Looking forward to what should be another good win for us
    Come On England  B)
    I am not saying I would or wouldn't but who for? 

I think one thing Southgate has done well is not chop and change things for the sake of it.  All things being equal is it worth dropping someone if the replacement isn't going to be significantly better?

Most teams that win things, or go close, have a core of players that have played a lot together.

Maybe use the later group games to rest or test but qualify first?
    Your right you do need players who have played a lot together as they get to know each other's game consistency is everything but I just feel he has had his day
    The sooner Southgate starts to find a replacement the better 
    Guy is 33, no thanks. 

Mate of mine is an Arsenal season ticket holder and was raving about him when I spoke to him yesterday.
    The rest of the Arsenal season ticket holders were on the phone to 606 crying about how tough they get it, it's truly heartbreaking hearing what they have to go through, fans from all over the country send their support during this traumatic time.  The Chairman will try to galvanise the club by entering the pitch with a guitar and wanky shades, it'll backfire spectaclulary, just as the roar of the battle cry fires up.
  • Crazy result in the Denmark game 
  • edited March 2023
    Crazy result in the Denmark game 
    Great for Northern Ireland potentially 
  • Channel 4 are fucking shite at this Football coverage.

ITV all is forgiven if you just promise not to host any England KO games