Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD Peterborough vs Charlton Athletic. Tuesday 28th Feb 19.45

Comments

• Options
    What did you guys make of Peterborough they have to come to Hillsborough on Saturday.
  • Options
    What did you guys make of Peterborough they have to come to Hillsborough on Saturday.
    The fact they put 5 past Plymouth shows they are a good side. Modern day football is purely about squad depth. Small clubs with small budgets don’t have the squad depth to rotate enough players to be consistent enough to win Saturday/Tuesday. 
  • Options
    Jonniesta said:
      golfaddick said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Rak-Sakyi disappointing from him again however he isn't a striker and shouldn't be expected to be one. He can't cross with his right, like CBT can't cross with his left, if we switch their wings we WILL see better crossing, but could lose their goal threat when cutting in. 

Maybe um, and I might be spiffballing here, we could try playing them on the opposite wing & get them to put crosses in for 2 strikers to attack. I dunno if it's ever been tried before and I know its anti Pep-ball to stop wingers cutting in but hey, Shearer & Sutton didnt do too badly from it. 

Radical I know.
    Only issue, as you frequently and rightly point out... we don't have 2 strikers. I have Leaburn as 1... that's it, and he's still developing. Until we get more and better we need to stick with this ridiculous system where, if our inverted wingers don't fire, we're not going to score. 
    We have Leaburn and Bonne. Whether they are good enough is another matter.
    Alternatively you try another player up front. Sometimes innovation works - remember Paul Warhurst.
  • Options
    Gotta say, they're promotion-worthy going forward, but if you get at them and put the back four under pressure, they looked a little shaky.  They're definitely there to be got at if you put them under the kosh.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    A drab game with only two real moments of skill - AMB's fine save and a lovely dummy by Leaburn. Peterborough were woeful at the back and a reasonable attacking line up would have filled their boots. Sadly we don't have that kind of scoring power up front.

Payne was all hustle and bustle and was causing their back four problems throughout and Dobson was putting himself about to usual effect. Thought we were getting the upper hand before the sending off (first time I have seen a player get away with a clear punch since Johnny Giles in the infamous Charity Shield game v Liverpool).

The Posh changed their formation and pulled up the drawbridge. CBT was man marked out of it and Leaburn didn't get enough play time to do something in the box.  Whilst the defenders were ok, and Hector in particular looked comfortable on the ball, the first touch from Fraser was woeful all night and Bonne was wandering off side too often. All very unsatisfactory. Their keeper didn't have to make a save.

The highlight of the evening was Curbs' chat with the Walsall fan who wanted to thank him for returning his wallet.
    I wasn't on the match, just watching on Charlton TV, and while it may have looked like it may have been a punch, you can't actually see that happening in the shot.
    Somebody else commented that their player confirmed it wasn't a punch. Obviously the ref would have sent him off were it the case.
    He did react aggressively, but hopefully it's a lesson learned either way.
    If the player said it was not a punch, why did he roll over holding his head?
  • Options
    Poor at the back. Strangely ineffective up front last night, but clearly they have a goal threat
  • Options
    It was after the lord Mayor's show for Posh.
    Charlton were bang average mainly because our creative midfielder Fraser, had such a poor night; his touch was bad and having no pace, his game disappeared.

The defence that started the game and Dobson all had decent games and Bonne started well but faded after his shot went out for a throw ! No other midfielders or front 3 played well. Rak Sakyi must learn to go down after being kicked in the body not retaliate; learn from the master, Wilf Zaha !

I accepted on a good day we are a mid-table team back in August. Give Daniel Kanu game time alongside Leaburn so the rest of another mediocre season isn't a total waste of time. Ness is a real positive and Bizarrely Inniss is steady when not over playing on the ball and kicking players up in the air, plus a record breaking apps in a season for the 'Doorman' 

We are so far off the top six that only radical changes on and off the pitch can make us contenders next season. 
  • Options
    Win for you 3-1

They are better than they played last night much like yourselves when we played you last Saturday however we tend to drag good teams down to our level due to our poor play.

Will be a much better game between the two of you but I fancy you to win 
  • Options
    Jonniesta said:
      golfaddick said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Rak-Sakyi disappointing from him again however he isn't a striker and shouldn't be expected to be one. He can't cross with his right, like CBT can't cross with his left, if we switch their wings we WILL see better crossing, but could lose their goal threat when cutting in. 

Maybe um, and I might be spiffballing here, we could try playing them on the opposite wing & get them to put crosses in for 2 strikers to attack. I dunno if it's ever been tried before and I know its anti Pep-ball to stop wingers cutting in but hey, Shearer & Sutton didnt do too badly from it. 

Radical I know.
    Only issue, as you frequently and rightly point out... we don't have 2 strikers. I have Leaburn as 1... that's it, and he's still developing. Until we get more and better we need to stick with this ridiculous system where, if our inverted wingers don't fire, we're not going to score. 
    We have Leaburn and Bonne. Whether they are good enough is another matter.
    Alternatively you try another player up front. Sometimes innovation works - remember Paul Warhurst.
    It's the same matter for me. If they're not good enough, I'm not including them in the figures, same as if they're never fit. 
    The other player up front would be an interesting idea, buy can't see there's anyone that fits that mould in the team. It's not like we have midfielders or defenders with a natural aptitude for scoring. Would love it if Hector turned into a Warhurst type though! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Valley11 said:
    Just seen the JRS punch. Bizarre that the ref booked him, suggesting he saw it. 
    100% red card. 
    I suspect JRS was lucky to get a yellow as that usually means it isn't reviewed as the ref saw it!
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    A drab game with only two real moments of skill - AMB's fine save and a lovely dummy by Leaburn. Peterborough were woeful at the back and a reasonable attacking line up would have filled their boots. Sadly we don't have that kind of scoring power up front.

Payne was all hustle and bustle and was causing their back four problems throughout and Dobson was putting himself about to usual effect. Thought we were getting the upper hand before the sending off (first time I have seen a player get away with a clear punch since Johnny Giles in the infamous Charity Shield game v Liverpool).

The Posh changed their formation and pulled up the drawbridge. CBT was man marked out of it and Leaburn didn't get enough play time to do something in the box.  Whilst the defenders were ok, and Hector in particular looked comfortable on the ball, the first touch from Fraser was woeful all night and Bonne was wandering off side too often. All very unsatisfactory. Their keeper didn't have to make a save.

The highlight of the evening was Curbs' chat with the Walsall fan who wanted to thank him for returning his wallet.
    I wasn't on the match, just watching on Charlton TV, and while it may have looked like it may have been a punch, you can't actually see that happening in the shot.
    Somebody else commented that their player confirmed it wasn't a punch. Obviously the ref would have sent him off were it the case.
    He did react aggressively, but hopefully it's a lesson learned either way.
    If the player said it was not a punch, why did he roll over holding his head?
    Because he's a pro footballer?
  • Options
    If Egbo was fit we'd have a pretty strong defence now:

Egbo Ness Inniss Hector Sessegnon

or Egbo Ness Inniss/Hector Sessegnon
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

I still think Sessegnon would be better on the right though, especially iwhen you are playing with wing backs means you want the left wing back to provide the width and cross with his left.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    JamesSeed said:

I still think Sessegnon would be better on the right though, especially iwhen you are playing with wing backs means you want the left wing back to provide the width and cross with his left.
    Agreed, but he's not better than Egbo. I believed he's played more games at left back than right back. Not sure what position he prefers though.
  • Options
    The shot by bonne in the first half where it went out for a throw in along with the other atrocious efforts by several of our players makes me question what size goals are we using down sparrows lane?! Is it the length of the pitch or the width? 

• Options
    What did you guys make of Peterborough they have to come to Hillsborough on Saturday.
    Absolute dump. Went there for the game that was cancelled and after half an hour you were done with the 'sites'. Yeah they got a cathedral but apart from that fuck all. No wonder over the last 5 years 4 have been won by Peterborough as the shittest place to live in the country. Only losing out this year by Luton. Gutting for them. 
  • Options
    Decent defensive performance. Michael "3 Wood" Hector seems to be improving every match. Really getting pissed off with pretty much all of them now, although I suppose I should simply blame myself for having expectations that are far higher than the players abilities. Fraser putting in a typical shift of doing one good thing, followed by 3 shit things. Payne simply isn't L1 standard. Last night was probably his best game for us and that was even below the required standard and Bonne continues to practice semaphore to good effect. Basically, our squad is divided into 2 groups. Group A, The (much) smaller one is made of players good enough and the other (majority) group 2 will never be good enough to even touch the top 6. We all know which of these groups needs to go in the summer, but reality tells us it will in fact be the other group that departs our club. 

Regarding JRS, I actually feel that in some ways he's a detriment to our team. He's our best attacking option by far, but to play him in any other position than right attacker and we don't get the full potential, which largely restricts our options when playing a different formation. He doesn't fit into a 3-5-2 system. 
  • Options
    No goalscorers, no chance - dismal 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Radical I know.
    That's literally what I suggested
  • Options
    Decent defensive performance. Michael "3 Wood" Hector seems to be improving every match. Really getting pissed off with pretty much all of them now, although I suppose I should simply blame myself for having expectations that are far higher than the players abilities. Fraser putting in a typical shift of doing one good thing, followed by 3 shit things. Payne simply isn't L1 standard. Last night was probably his best game for us and that was even below the required standard and Bonne continues to practice semaphore to good effect. Basically, our squad is divided into 2 groups. Group A, The (much) smaller one is made of players good enough and the other (majority) group 2 will never be good enough to even touch the top 6. We all know which of these groups needs to go in the summer, but reality tells us it will in fact be the other group that departs our club. 

Regarding JRS, I actually feel that in some ways he's a detriment to our team. He's our best attacking option by far, but to play him in any other position than right attacker and we don't get the full potential, which largely restricts our options when playing a different formation. He doesn't fit into a 3-5-2 system. 
    Hector on the left and Ness on the right was a lot better than the opposite against Sheff Weds. Still not sure we have the centre backs for 3-5-2 and we definitely don’t have the strikers for it. JRS is our best attacker and we can barely score with him playing so imagine how bad it would be without him there. 

Maybe Holden is planning on sticking with 3 at the back for next season, if so I’d want to see Kanu and Leaburn together again in this set up like they were on Boxing Day 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:

Hector on the left and Ness on the right was a lot better than the opposite against Sheff Weds. Still not sure we have the centre backs for 3-5-2 and we definitely don’t have the strikers for it. JRS is our best attacker and we can barely score with him playing so imagine how bad it would be without him there. 

Maybe Holden is planning on sticking with 3 at the back for next season, if so I’d want to see Kanu and Leaburn together again in this set up like they were on Boxing Day 
    But it was not 352 .. 3421 Payne and Raki both playing off Bonne with Fraser playing a lot deeper 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:

But it was not 352 .. 3421 Payne and Raki both playing off Bonne with Fraser playing a lot deeper 
    True but we still don’t really have the centre backs for it. Hector and Inniss are both suited to being the middle centre back and we don’t have a left footed centre back 
  • Options
    Sean clare  fast becoming player of the season for me
    Wtaf.
    Dobson, AMB, Ness, JRK & possibly Fraser are in front.
  • Options
    They were absolute shite and yet put 5 past Plymouth.
    Strange league.
  • Options
    Win for you 3-1

They are better than they played last night much like yourselves when we played you last Saturday however we tend to drag good teams down to our level due to our poor play.

Will be a much better game between the two of you but I fancy you to win 
    Really hope you're correct but it's at the time of the season where nerves are setting in, sounds daft I know .
  • Options
    What did you guys make of Peterborough they have to come to Hillsborough on Saturday.
    Absolute dump. Went there for the game that was cancelled and after half an hour you were done with the 'sites'. Yeah they got a cathedral but apart from that fuck all. No wonder over the last 5 years 4 have been won by Peterborough as the shittest place to live in the country. Only losing out this year by Luton. Gutting for them. 
    Lol totally agree although the last time I went there they had a beer festival on so all I saw was beer tents then stumbled to their ground which alone was some sort of miracle 😄 
  • Options
    Strange league.
    And yet the week before had 5 put past them at home to Bolton,.....Even stranger!
  • Options
    Strange league.
    And yet the week before had 5 put past them at home to Bolton,.....Even stranger!
    Anyone can beat anyone in this league, except us