Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD Peterborough vs Charlton Athletic. Tuesday 28th Feb 19.45

Comments

• Options
    Come home gutted I thought the standard of football by both teams was terrible you can understand why some just don't want to go anymore Rak-Sayki was definitely lucky not to be sent off 
    Don't know how much longer I want to travel away to watch us this team needs to give us fans more then this half hearted excuse of a game they are serving up 

• Options
    Clean sheet against Peterborough is a positive. That’s it. 
  • Options
    masicat said:
    Clean sheet against Peterborough is a positive. That’s it. 
    ... And one more point nearer safety.
  • Options
    Not sure how many more chances Fraser is going to get? Turns like a HGV and couldn't control a ball to save his life. 

He takes too many touches...one-two touch, release & follow for a possible return ball. 

Aaron Henry come on and done the same...he didnt look interested in the slightest IMO.

Our decision making in general looks poor. Leaburn produced that fantastic turn and had the time to pick out the corner so he squared it too sponge foot-Blackett Taylor who was fortunate to get a corner. 

I felt 11 v 11 we were a match for them which a positive but the rest of it was shocking tbh. 
  • Options
    Was the pitch bumpy? Might explain the poor touches, or at least mitigate them.
  • Options
    Three games without scoring - pitiful in L1.
  • Options
    The truth is that we were by far the better team from beginning to end but we were also toothless and wouldn't have scored if we were still playing. Not enough scorers in the team and consequently ways of scoring which makes us easy to stop.
  • Options
    Lovely turn towards the end by Miles, who passed to CBT to perform a very unCBT thing - a weak shot along the ground out for a goal kick. It's usually a powerhouse strike into row A.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Was the pitch bumpy? Might explain the poor touches, or at least mitigate them.
    Lol, we must have played on some bumpy pitches this year to make up for all the poor first touches.

Nothing to do with the pitch, piss poor players 
  • Options
    Sean clare  fast becoming player of the season for me
    thought we lost the middle of the field, but what shocking displays of shooting we saw last night from every Charlton player. A striker should not need confidence to strike the ball at a given target. That is a given skill that he is supposed to possess. Absolutely shocking.
  • Options
    The last time I saw a swinging left like that from Rak Sakyi was by Clubber Lang in Rocky 3 
  • Options
    Last 3 games we’ve been so sloppy giving ball away can’t control it shooting all off target. Only thing Peterborough actually looked worse than us last night unless it was the pitch and conditions. 
    But if these players are trying to impress for next season it don’t look like it. 
    The only players I’d keep out of this lot is the 2 goalies Ness Dobson Fraser and Leaburn. 
    Then probably Blackett Taylor for his pace and 
    Clare for his versatility effort and determination which might surprise some. 
    But other than that I can’t think who else I’d keep from the senior player’s. 

• Options
    Just seen the JRS punch. Bizarre that the ref booked him, suggesting he saw it. 
    100% red card. 
  • Options
    Had a better shopping experience than I did watching the 0-0 and journey back was a bit of a drag, but a clean sheet and another point on the board, we need some before the drop fight really goes into overdrive below us… Hector settling, Inniss more composed,  Ness a real prospect, Fraser needs a game or two out of the side and Penney needs time with the U23s (where he should stay until his loan expires). 

Liked the formation, but need Leaburn back in from the off to spearhead it. 
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Just seen the JRS punch. Bizarre that the ref booked him, suggesting he saw it. 
    100% red card. 
    Their player told the ref there was no punch it was a shoulder barge. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    pity we couldn't profit on playing against the ten men .. still a pint away at a high scoring outfit is a decent result .. the wasted chances though !
  • Options
    Long way to go for a poor game, nothing to cheer. Goalkeeper getting arsey at end was a highlight along with Smoking Rak Saki.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Rak-Sakyi disappointing from him again however he isn't a striker and shouldn't be expected to be one. He can't cross with his right, like CBT can't cross with his left, if we switch their wings we WILL see better crossing, but could lose their goal threat when cutting in. 

Maybe um, and I might be spiffballing here, we could try playing them on the opposite wing & get them to put crosses in for 2 strikers to attack. I dunno if it's ever been tried before and I know its anti Pep-ball to stop wingers cutting in but hey, Shearer & Sutton didnt do too badly from it. 

Radical I know.
  • Options
      golfaddick said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Rak-Sakyi disappointing from him again however he isn't a striker and shouldn't be expected to be one. He can't cross with his right, like CBT can't cross with his left, if we switch their wings we WILL see better crossing, but could lose their goal threat when cutting in. 

Maybe um, and I might be spiffballing here, we could try playing them on the opposite wing & get them to put crosses in for 2 strikers to attack. I dunno if it's ever been tried before and I know its anti Pep-ball to stop wingers cutting in but hey, Shearer & Sutton didnt do too badly from it. 

Radical I know.
    Only issue, as you frequently and rightly point out... we don't have 2 strikers. I have Leaburn as 1... that's it, and he's still developing. Until we get more and better we need to stick with this ridiculous system where, if our inverted wingers don't fire, we're not going to score. 
  • Options
    I only checked the result this morning, a sad sign of my growing apathy.
  • Options
    We could at least try swapping the wingers for 5 minutes, to give their fullbacks a new challenge.

Innis has his limitations on the ball, but the 3 CBs are starting to look more comfortable. I've been impressed that Hector has come from nowhere to play so regularly, he has quite a presence.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Last 3 games we’ve been so sloppy giving ball away can’t control it shooting all off target. Only thing Peterborough actually looked worse than us last night unless it was the pitch and conditions. 
    But if these players are trying to impress for next season it don’t look like it. 
    The only players I’d keep out of this lot is the 2 goalies Ness Dobson Fraser and Leaburn. 
    Then probably Blackett Taylor for his pace and 
    Clare for his versatility effort and determination which might surprise some. 
    But other than that I can’t think who else I’d keep from the senior player’s. 

I wouldn't keep Fraser (except as a squad member). He's far to easy to shrug off the ball and rarely, if ever, plays a killer pass. His position is crucial, and we need better if we're serious about promotion.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    A drab game with only two real moments of skill - AMB's fine save and a lovely dummy by Leaburn. Peterborough were woeful at the back and a reasonable attacking line up would have filled their boots. Sadly we don't have that kind of scoring power up front.

Payne was all hustle and bustle and was causing their back four problems throughout and Dobson was putting himself about to usual effect. Thought we were getting the upper hand before the sending off (first time I have seen a player get away with a clear punch since Johnny Giles in the infamous Charity Shield game v Liverpool).

The Posh changed their formation and pulled up the drawbridge. CBT was man marked out of it and Leaburn didn't get enough play time to do something in the box.  Whilst the defenders were ok, and Hector in particular looked comfortable on the ball, the first touch from Fraser was woeful all night and Bonne was wandering off side too often. All very unsatisfactory. Their keeper didn't have to make a save.

The highlight of the evening was Curbs' chat with the Walsall fan who wanted to thank him for returning his wallet.
    I wasn't on the match, just watching on Charlton TV, and while it may have looked like it may have been a punch, you can't actually see that happening in the shot.
    Somebody else commented that their player confirmed it wasn't a punch. Obviously the ref would have sent him off were it the case.
    He did react aggressively, but hopefully it's a lesson learned either way.
  • Options
    https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/peterborough-united/its-wwe-stuff-peterborough-united-boss-darren-ferguson-hits-out-at-one-of-the-most-bizarre-decisions-he-has-seen-as-posh-held-to-draw-4045552

Interesting what the Referee said about the Posh Penalty

In the first half Ephron Mason-Clark has gone in the box and been fouled. We felt it was a penalty, but the referee said he was fouled outside of the box and yet he didn’t give a foul! That’s the inconsistency.

I didnt think it was a foul, but definitely looked in the area!!