Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

OMG! MILLWALL MIGHT GET PROMOTED - but not in 2023 :)

Comments

• Options
    stonemuse said:
    stonemuse said:
    What are the odds on their  West Ham fans pretending to be Millwall fans  fighting eachother again at Wembley ? 

3/1 on for them to bump into Pompey at Waterloo and have it right off and and say “respect to Pompey they always bring a good mob”
    It’s London Bridge 😉
    Portsmouth always come through Waterloo no ? 
    Must have mis-remembered the previous threads on this … was sure it was mentioned that London Bridge was where they ‘bumped’ into each other. 
    For almost every away game Pompey have, they  have to go through Waterloo. Their ‘firm’ was even named after the train they got out of Portsmouth, that ran to Waterloo. Waterloo is very close to Millwalls ‘manor’. (I’m trying not to sound too much like Danny Dyer here). Hence, this was the chosen battleground for the two groups throughout the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s, and it’s where the rivalry sprang from. Although it’s wained a lot these days and the last time we played them was a fairly mild affair. 
    Harry the dog.  Whatever happened to him?

https://twitter.com/1968tv/status/1631398864489000960?s=21&t=ZYlmYb3RdjZVKTzAGRpvQA
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Is there a club Millwall don’t make out to have some sort of tenuous ‘rivalry’ with? 

It feels like every one they play, somebody will bring up the ‘history’ they have.

Not doubting that certain incidents didn’t happen, especially in the past, but rivalries being cited with the likes of Everton and Portsmouth just sound like it’s all playing into the ‘no one likes us’ image. When in reality, I don’t know a single Everton fan who cares one bit about Millwall.
    I bet the Everton fan who got slashed is not fond of them we have had our run in with some clubs but nothing like what Millwall have
    They was a target by every firm going 
    I don't know how it stands these days but there is definitely some clubs like West Ham Leeds Cardiff that will always want to take it to them
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    stonemuse said:
    stonemuse said:
    What are the odds on their  West Ham fans pretending to be Millwall fans  fighting eachother again at Wembley ? 

3/1 on for them to bump into Pompey at Waterloo and have it right off and and say “respect to Pompey they always bring a good mob”
    It’s London Bridge 😉
    Portsmouth always come through Waterloo no ? 
    Must have mis-remembered the previous threads on this … was sure it was mentioned that London Bridge was where they ‘bumped’ into each other. 
    For almost every away game Pompey have, they  have to go through Waterloo. Their ‘firm’ was even named after the train they got out of Portsmouth, that ran to Waterloo. Waterloo is very close to Millwalls ‘manor’. (I’m trying not to sound too much like Danny Dyer here). Hence, this was the chosen battleground for the two groups throughout the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s, and it’s where the rivalry sprang from. Although it’s wained a lot these days and the last time we played them was a fairly mild affair. 
    Harry the dog.  Whatever happened to him?

https://twitter.com/1968tv/status/1631398864489000960?s=21&t=ZYlmYb3RdjZVKTzAGRpvQA
    Died a down and out on the streets of Crawley apparently 
  • Options
    Wellred said:
    cafctom said:
    Is there a club Millwall don’t make out to have some sort of tenuous ‘rivalry’ with? 

It feels like every one they play, somebody will bring up the ‘history’ they have.

Not doubting that certain incidents didn’t happen, especially in the past, but rivalries being cited with the likes of Everton and Portsmouth just sound like it’s all playing into the ‘no one likes us’ image. When in reality, I don’t know a single Everton fan who cares one bit about Millwall.
    I bet the Everton fan who got slashed is not fond of them we have had our run in with some clubs but nothing like what Millwall have
    I don't know how it stands these days but there is definitely some clubs like West Ham Leeds Cardiff that will always want to take it to them
    Yes, I don’t think there’s a club of our size who would generate as much an interest from the bigger clubs than us. Everton certainly came down looking for trouble that day (and got it) and when we played Spurs in the cup a few years ago the fixture certainly generated a lot of interest amongst their fan base. Leeds really don’t like us and I think we was voted their third biggest rival in one of those fan polls a few years ago. A lot of the newbie west ham fans will say spurs are their main rivals now but if we play them next season you’ll see how much we still mean to a large chunk of their support. 

I know these rivalries have been generated over the years for all the wrong reasons, but still, it’s nice to be noticed. 😉
  • Options
    Wellred said:
    cafctom said:

Yes, I don’t think there’s a club of our size who would generate as much an interest from the bigger clubs than us. Everton certainly came down looking for trouble that day (and got it) and when we played Spurs in the cup a few years ago the fixture certainly generated a lot of interest amongst their fan base. Leeds really don’t like us and I think we was voted their third biggest rival in one of those fan polls a few years ago. A lot of the newbie west ham fans will say spurs are their main rivals now but if we play them next season you’ll see how much we still mean to a large chunk of their support. 

I know these rivalries have been generated over the years for all the wrong reasons, but still, it’s nice to be noticed. 😉
    Don't know how old you are but one of the hardest lot that come out of London was the Cockney Reds Man Utd fans even your lot would not fancy a run in with them yet you never hear about them & how they was feared
    But your right if you do manage to go up & play West Ham it will bring out all the hate between the two of you 
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Examples for all league clubs (or just the Championship would do) would go some way to understanding how you came to this conclusion.

It's probably (most definitely) hyperbole but would still like to see a lot of examples nonetheless, if only for the current division we're in.
  • Options
    Wellred said:
    Wellred said:
    cafctom said:

Don't know how old you are but one of the hardest lot that come out of London was the Cockney Reds Man Utd fans even your lot would not fancy a run in with them yet you never hear about them & how they was feared
    But your right if you do manage to go up & play West Ham it will bring out all the hate between the two of you 
    Before my time I’m afraid but remember hearing stories of clashes between the old boys from the 70’s and the cockney reds. Although I think the next generation of thugs at Millwall were friendly with a few of them. Some of them were from Millwall areas and apparently they drank together and used to play football against each other. I met a bloke down Millwall years ago who told me he was a Man U cockney Red, but was just down there with his pals who were Millwall. He was from Peckham if I remember correctly 
  • Options
    Wellred said:
    Wellred said:
    cafctom said:

Before my time I’m afraid but remember hearing stories of clashes between the old boys from the 70’s and the cockney reds. Although I think the next generation of thugs at Millwall were friendly with a few of them. Some of them were from Millwall areas and apparently they drank together and used to play football against each other. I met a bloke down Millwall years ago who told me he was a Man U cockney Red, but was just down there with his pals who were Millwall. He was from Peckham if I remember correctly 
    I met some of them at England away game's  they come from all over London I remember bumping into a few that was from the Elephant who was Millwall as kids but got drawn to the Reds complete nutters always one of the first in Ha
  • Options
    Wellred said:
    Wellred said:
    Wellred said:
    cafctom said:

I met some of them at England away game's  they come from all over London I remember bumping into a few that was from the Elephant who was Millwall as kids but got drawn to the Reds complete nutters always one of the first in Ha
    So are you saying they acted as our c*nt filter? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2023
    cafctom said:

Examples for all league clubs (or just the Championship would do) would go some way to understanding how you came to this conclusion.

It's probably (most definitely) hyperbole but would still like to see a lot of examples nonetheless, if only for the current division we're in.
    I’m not going to sit here and list every club in a division and walk through the history of Millwall’s interactions with them, because I frankly don’t care enough.

It’s more of a perception. 

When a fixture like Millwall vs Everton generates headlines of violence, or Millwall vs Wigan for that matter - there’s a part of me that just thinks “what the f*** is that about?”….is there really enough of a rivalry there to explain it?

And I understand it has to work both ways. Other clubs will have fans who will change their behaviour knowing they’re playing you.

I have friends who support Millwall, that seemingly have an ‘incident’ to bring up whenever a random club is mentioned. Half the time there’s probably truth in it, and half the time it’s probably a load of bullshit or hearsay. But they’re fascinated by that side of the game even though they don’t really partake in it.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:

I’m not going to sit here and list every club in a division and walk through the history of Millwall’s interactions with them, because I frankly don’t care enough.

When a fixture like Millwall vs Everton generates headlines of violence, or Millwall vs Wigan for that matter - there’s a part of me that just thinks “what the f*** is that about?”….is there really enough of a rivalry there to explain it?

And I understand it has to work both ways. Other clubs will have fans who will change their behaviour knowing they’re playing you.

I have friends who support Millwall, that seemingly have an ‘incident’ to bring up whenever a random club is mentioned. Half the time there’s probably truth in it, and half the time it’s probably a load of bullshit or hearsay. But they’re fascinated by that side of the game even though they don’t really partake in it.
    I mean I've looked at the Championship table and can name probably half the teams in there whereby nothing of any note has ever occured between the clubs.

If your friends are larging it for every club we play then that tells me you should probably take what they're saying with a large pinch of salt (which it seems you have alluded to) as that's not anywhere near the reality for most  :)
  • Options
    Wellred said:
    Wellred said:
    Wellred said:
    cafctom said:

Like I say mate they was from all over London so most would have been drawn in from other London clubs not just Millwall wouldn't know for what reason just know coursing havoc was top of their list 
  • Options
    Wellred said:
    Wellred said:
    Wellred said:
    Wellred said:
    cafctom said:

Like I say mate they was from all over London so most would have been drawn in from other London clubs not just Millwall wouldn't know for what reason just know coursing havoc was top of their list 
    They were all west ham
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:

I mean I've looked at the Championship table and can name probably half the teams in there whereby nothing of any note has ever occured between the clubs.

If your friends are larging it for every club we play then that tells me you should probably take what they're saying with a large pinch of salt (which it seems you have alluded to) as that's not anywhere near the reality for most  :)
    Right. So the other half of the table you can point out those incidents. That’s still a massive proportion compared to most clubs - and hence why the perception comes about that a lot of these ‘rivalries’ can sometimes feel a bit forced when every other game there is some sort of “history” being waffled on about. 

And I know it’s not all Millwall fans, so it’s certainly not a dig at the whole fanbase. More just an observation that many of them will wear the flat cap when the story suits ;)
  • Options
    Imagine the day when we have a thread about millwall which doesn't somehow descend into football violence. Doesn't say much for us or them

And I'll fight anyone who disagrees. Makros.
  • Options
    Imagine the day when we have a thread about millwall which doesn't somehow descend into football violence. Doesn't say much for us or them

Imagine the day it gets mentioned a millwall fan condemns such behaviour. 
  • Options
    Wellred said:
    Wellred said:
    Wellred said:
    Wellred said:
    cafctom said:

I know mate, just having a laugh with you 
  • Options

Imagine the day it gets mentioned a millwall fan condemns such behaviour. 
    I’ve millwall fans on my feed that tweet about them turning up in numbers against so and so and glorifying the idea of them causing carnage in a town somewhere up north.  Who then two minutes later choke on a rich tea over the climate busy bodies walking slowly across a road, amusing.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cabbles said:
    On a more general level, I think there is probably an element of hooliganism that still exists in the clubs that were more known for it back in its heyday, albeit very well hidden, and most likely organised by a small number.

Outside of that, I think the scuffles we see or hear about are no more than the types you see break out at the boxing, the races or in a town centre on a Friday/Sat night.  

I think it’s a general bloke thing anywhere between 18-35.

I think it was the video of the Sunderland fans a few weeks back going into the pub or chasing Millwall fans out, I can’t remember.  That didn’t look like an organised meet to me, more so a few blokes that thought they could give it.  The alcohol/cocaine football factory image continues, but very watered down from what it once was.

Bizarrely, and this is just my personal opinion, I don’t get all the photos that crop up on Twitter on match days of fans on trains with booze.  It seems to be an actual thing to photograph your Koppabergs or whatever you drink.

you don’t see me sticking a bunch of photos of the lemon drizzle cake that gets passed around the away supporters club coach 
    I’ve got 5 months to go who wants it??
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Bizarrely, and this is just my personal opinion, I don’t get all the photos that crop up on Twitter on match days of fans on trains with booze.  It seems to be an actual thing to photograph your Koppabergs or whatever you drink.

Not a proper football photo unless you've got the stone Island badge in of course.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:

Right. So the other half of the table you can point out those incidents. That’s still a massive proportion compared to most clubs - and hence why the perception comes about that a lot of these ‘rivalries’ can sometimes feel a bit forced when every other game there is some sort of “history” being waffled on about. 

And I know it’s not all Millwall fans, so it’s certainly not a dig at the whole fanbase. More just an observation that many of them will wear the flat cap when the story suits ;)
    No doubt there is far more trouble when Millwall are mentioned …. However, for perspective, I’ve just gone through the Championship table and Charlton also had run-ins with at least half the teams in the 70s/80s. 

Maybe not on same level, but it happened.  
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:

No doubt there is far more trouble when Millwall are mentioned …. However, for perspective, I’ve just gone through the Championship table and Charlton also had run-ins with at least half the teams in the 70s/80s. 

Maybe not on same level, but it happened.  
    They hate to admit it but we done them all over. Every where we do....
  • Options
    edited March 2023
  • Options
    I seem to recall from a mate who’s a spanner and was at a Millwall Cup match at Goodison Park back in the 70”s? There were some Everton hooligans in the away end and charged Millwall with knives.
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    I seem to recall from a mate who’s a spanner and was at a Millwall Cup match at Goodison Park back in the 70”s? There were some Everton hooligans in the away end and charged Millwall with knives.
    It was the early 70’s, a cup game. Rumour has it that the police purposely put a large contingent of Millwall fans in the home end. Quite a few, about a dozen or so, ended up with knife wounds. Millwall won on the pitch, and there was serious disorder outside after, when word spread about the knifings. There’s been bad blood since then and people still bring it up to this day.  
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Solidgone said:

I think they was stabbing them coming through the turnstiles into the home end when the old bill deliberately escorted some of them into that section 
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    It was the early 70’s, a cup game. Rumour has it that the police purposely put a large contingent of Millwall fans in the home end. Quite a few, about a dozen or so, ended up with knife wounds. Millwall won on the pitch, and there was serious disorder outside after, when word spread about the knifings. There’s been bad blood since then and people still bring it up to this day.  
    And so it happens..
  • Options
    Wellred said:
    Solidgone said:

I think they was stabbing them coming through the turnstiles into the home end when the old bill deliberately escorted some of them into that section 
    Yeah, we’ll before my time, but that’s exactly what I heard happened. Two got stabbed and were in a bad way, and lots got slashed. Madness. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!