Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cheltenham 2023 thread

Comments

• Options
    Had Seddon each way at 26s on Betfair.  Also had Notlongtillmay for a place earlier.

That's the festival paid for
  • Options
    No winners today, 2nds & a 3rd, but only backed to win.
    Still about £100 up overall, thanks to free bets & offers like will the Irish win on Day 1  :D
  • Options
    early doors but Mr Incredible has jumped off - yay!
  • Options
    Looked very strong down the final straight. Dunboyne running on for 4th as well.
  • Options
    Cannot pick a winner to save my life! 
    That’s how I’m feeling too! Both faves I backed been turned over today.

Ones to avoid in the last three…

4.10. Haut En Couleurs 10.0 W & 2.72 P / Midnight River 11.0 W & 2.98 P

4.50. Halka Du Tabert 16.0 W & 4.1 P / Under Control 36.0 W & 7.6 P

5.30. Angels Dawn 14.0 W & 3.55 P / Royal Thief 19.5 W & 4.5 P
    Lucky last as Angels Dawn is the day’s get out of jail card, after some place money back from Halka Du Tabert…
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    You've got to feel sorry for those poorly handicapped Irish horses. I'm sure that they hoped for much better than the first six home in the Boodles!

Edit - my mistake. It was 6 of the first 7. Sheena West saddled the 5th. The Irish will be even more gutted/ 

This really is becoming more and more of a joke. The Irish had 9 runners in the Kim Muir out of a field of 23. The Irish occupied the first 7 places with the other two horses finishing 10th and pulled up. The British horses managed to occupy 14 of the last 16. 

This is a handicap. They are meant to be handicapped to cross the line together. The Irish have won all bar one of the handicaps so far and occupied the vast majority of places too. It really is time that the British handicapper got some sort of hold of this and started to lump them with a stone more than their Irish mark. 
  • Options
    Looked very strong down the final straight. Dunboyne running on for 4th as well.
    Jumped well and, despite being ridden so conservatively, really made up the ground well and looked the winner but wandered. Wasn't stamina - we know he gets 29f and he ran on again, so may be not bolshiness either. Looked a bit green tbh. 
    Will be interesting if we get to hear what jockey has to say.

Times today suggest the ground is more GS than Sft, not enough of a test for Dunboyne (also held up) to land a blow. On the plus side, he jumped nicely and pretty straight (one incident but looked more like the other horse jumping into him).

All told, decent preps (Mr Inc cut to 12~14s), Dunboyne generally unchanged at 50s though WH (still the only NRNB offer) have cut him to 33s. He really does need soft.

..... Punitive still running
  • Options
    Very good day today and not a bad Tuesday, scrub Wednesday.
    Bring on the GC tomorrow
  • Options
    Woeful day, good news is it can't get any worse tomorrow, right? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    £250 up over the week so far which will come in very handy.

Thanks in the main to many of the tips on here!
  • Options
    So is the Irish handicapper very generous and rates on the low side ? 
  • Options
    Terrible day yesterday with not much going my way.

Better today.  Had Seddon each way at 20s. 
    Stage Star at 12s.  Notlongtillmay at 80/1.  You Wear It Well at 16s.

Shiskin, Teauphoo and Luccia- all pre festival tips losing smarted a bit.

Not as much as Skybet blooding restricting my monthly tipping now as my "stakes recently have increased to much bigger than usual"!   I explained I was at Cheltenham Tuesday and always bet more during Cheltenham week 

Tomorrow looks an incredibly difficult day.  2 or 3 horses very keen in most races and not sure I know enough to split them.

Gin Coco is my only fancy currently.  Skybet paying 8 places.  That'll serve em right if it wins!  

• Options
    Day 1: 5 winners on the spin
    Day 2: Nuffink
    Day 3: Nuffink
    Doing just doing doubles and trebles it's better like that I guess.

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    So is the Irish handicapper very generous and rates on the low side ? 
    Sort of but this isn't necessary the fault of the Irish handicapper. There are mitigating circumstances but it definitely isn't a level playing field.

The first thing is that the Irish horses are handicapped in relation to each other so as long as they are running in the same company then it is a fair, relatively speaking, contest. The Irish, though, have tended, in recent times, to have the best horses. If you went back say 20 years or so then you would have found that the owners attached to the top stables here bought many of the French young horses as well as the Irish ones too. As time has gone on, most of all of those horses on have been bought by the Irish so they not only end up with the best of their own but the best of the overseas. There have been Cheltenham Festivals in the past where the Irish have not trained a single winner. A couple of years ago they trained 23 of the 28 winners. 

Something like 60% of National Hunt races in Britain are handicaps. In Ireland it is only about 35%. Prizemoney is also less here and this instantly outlines the issues, not only with prize money but also the types of races available and the frequency of them. Having so many of these types of races isn't good, the calendar is too clustered and the higher-class horses have a wider spread of races available, meaning they rarely have to race against each other here. Aiming a horse at one of the few festivals in Ireland means all similar horses have to compete with each other in the build-up to it, giving an accurate outlook on how good the horse is and the type of opposition it would be competitive against. For this reason, as a rule of thumb, the Irish horses can be anything between 5lb and 10lb "well in" against their British counterparts. 

• Options
    Cheers AA 
  • Options
    Day one went ok. The rest has been crap. 
    So a little speculative e/w lucky for tomorrow 🤞🏼
  • Options
    Friday’s Fancies

2:50 - Dawn Rising
    3:30 - Protektorat
    4:50 - Pink Legend 
  • Options
    1.30 Gala Marceau
    2.10 Ballyadam
    2.50 Corbetts Cross
    3.30 A Plus Tard
    4.10 Chris’s Dream
    4.40 Impervious
    5.30 Mark of Gold

• Options

1.30 gala marceau

2.10 winter fog 

Saint Sam 

2.50 three card brag 

3.30 bravemansgame 

Minella indo ew 

4.10 the storyteller

Chriss dream 

4.50 magic daze 

5.30 imagine 

Fifty ball 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    1.30 Lossiemouth 
    2.10 Ballydam
    2.50 Corbetts Cross 
    3 30 Small nibble EW on Sounds Russian  not sure on main bet yet
    4 10 Billaway
    4 50 Alleorie de vassy 
    5 30 Might i EW 
  • Options
    I don't think Conflated will have any problem with the trip and, having drifted out to 18s, is my e/w pick for the GC
  • Options
    13:30 - Lossiemouth (used my free £5 SkyBet on Zenta)
    14:10 - Hunters Yarn
    14:50 - Three Card Brag
    15:30 - Galopin Des Champs (e/w on Minella Indo)
    16:10 - Vaucelet
    16:50 - Impervious
    17:30 - Cool Survivor
  • Options
    1:30 - Blood Destiny
  • Options
    Fantastic day yesterday just checked my bet365 account can’t work out why £20 ew at 10’s on stage star only returned £265 can anyone help
  • Options
    Just a few for me today after a great day yesterday. 

2:10 Hunters Yarn
    3:30 Galopin Des Champs
    4:50 Allegorie De Vassy
    5:30 Irish Hill

• Options
    Lossiemouth
    Corbetts Cross
    Ahoy Senior & Minella Indo

Small play on Milkwood
  • Options
    10 x 20 = 200
    +
    2 (1/5 I'm guessing?) X 20 = 40
    + 40 stake

= £280 
  • Options
    10 x 20 = 200
    +
    2 (1/5 I'm guessing?) X 20 = 40
    + 40 stake

= £280 
    Correct at 1/5 fraction - easy calc is ((10 x 1.2) + 2) x 20) :)

Were extra places at smaller fraction selected? 
  • Options
    Don’t think so Bob