Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Phil Parkinson

13»

Comments

• Options
    Stig said:
    Didn't feel Parky had the support from above that he needed (nor has hardly anyone since), also felt like a slippery slide deeper into Magic Roundabout territory, so I felt he was pushed too early. That said, keeping him wouldn't have helped change the course of history. It's hard to see him beating the Chris Powell side's points total and after that Two Shats would have done his own thing anyway.
    Well I don't know about that. I was at a shareholders meeting (may have been around the launch of Baton) and Murray made the astounding comment that in his opinion Parky was a better manager than Curbs. I knew then we were on a downward slide with that idiot in charge.
    I was at a meeting, think at Bromley, where Murray said Parky would'nt be getting the job permenantly, then appointed him the following week. Never trusted Murray from then on.
    I remember being told Parky was effectively having a trial as manager in the Championship - bizarre he got the job after that series of results.

He did okay for us in L1 and it will be interesting to see how long Wrexham stick with him. Getting out of NL a must this season.
    The announcement was that he would be judged on results !!!
  • Options
    He did nothing trying to keep us up, went down with a whimper it was so embarrassing, he could have at least attempted to keep us up. The worst manager in my lifetime.
    Karel Fraeye? The 08/09 squad was dreadful and being more attacking or playing Chris Dickson wouldn't have changed that.
  • Options
    He did nothing trying to keep us up, went down with a whimper it was so embarrassing, he could have at least attempted to keep us up. The worst manager in my lifetime.
    That's just not true is it
    Yes it is. We were in the drop zone, I remember going away to Swansea on a Tuesday night, we were doing ok but we needed a win. A draw wasn’t going to help. Ten minutes to go he made a sub. We had been playing one up top so I thought great, two up top, give it a go, who knows we might nick a win. But no, striker off, striker on. No attempt to win the game. Four days later, away at Reading, same happened. Two points but not good enough, we needed wins. But heyho, Parky managed to get an unbeaten run going but we went down with a whimper, not a bang. In my opinion he could have done a lot better in trying to keep us up. It may ultimately not have made a difference and the outcome the same but ffs give it a go. For that alone he’s the worst manager in my lifetime. Nice bloke, awful manager.
  • Options
    masicat said:
    WTF
    See my other response.
  • Options
    Parky and Lennie Lawrence both managed at Charlton and Bradford.  Lennie is a hero with us, but ask a Bradford fan what they think of him and they will not be so glowing in their praise - whereas ask them what they think of Parky and they will have nothing but good things to say.  Just as with players, sometimes it just doesnt work out for a manager at one club but does at another.

My only contact with Parky was in the first season in League 1 ( 2009 ? ) away at Carlisle. We were expecting to bounce straight back to the Championship and an away win at lowly Carlisle was expected - we lost 3-1 and there were some pretty irate/angry Charlton fans on Carlisle station after the game waiting for the train home. Parky appeared on the platform and was more than happy to chat with anyone who wanted to speak with him, and my memory is that following those chats the mood was a lot better and  people were happy with the responses they had received. I didnt speak with him myself but observed what was happening and came away with a good impression of him.  Parky was alone, travelling to family in York.

For Parky to get ( 4th divison at the time ? ) Bradford to the League Cup final having beaten Arsenal and Aston Villa - over a two legged semi-final - on the way is an amazing achievement, and whilst his time at Charlton may not have been as successful as we would have liked, he is no way one of the worst managers we have ever had. We need to look at more recent Charlton history for the winners of that title !
  • Options
    So miss our arguments over Parky  :D