Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Phil Parkinson

I know its water under the bridge and afew years back and different owners.But should we have kept Phil Parnkinson a bit longer.He seems to have done well since he left.

Comments

• How many games did we go without a win under Parky? I'm guessing 20+.

Also is this a club record or close to the record? 

He was sacked on January 4th having not won since November so i suspect it's a lot less than 20 games. 
  • That Robert Lee turned into a good player, should’ve kept hold of him a while longer

He was sacked on January 4th having not won since November so i suspect it's a lot less than 20 games. 
    Maybe it was 1 win in 20+? 

Maybe it was 1 win in 20+? 
    Possibly
  • vffvff
    edited February 2023
    Parrkinson did the best he could with the limited resources available. The longest non winning run in Charlton’s history, only broken by an enjoyable 1-0 defeat of Palace. Decent person but terrible football (I know, no better than much of went after). 

Given Charlton’s continued ownership dysfunction - , there is no way on earth he would leave a well resourced Wrexham. Wrexham, who at their current trajectory, & Charlton via Duchatelet greed / Sangaard delusion & ineptness / Methven gamble creek - could easily bypass Charlton in a couple of enjoyable promotion seasons. This particular if the alleged US billionaire or other suitable takeover doesn’t happen. 
    If the situation turns around & Charlton do surprisingly get a decent takeover then I would want to stick with Dean Holden, who is doing a great job under the current constrained circumstances. I would trust Holden if there was money to spend.

I do wish Parkinson well though and don't begrudge him a decent go, with a club with funds. He has managed a lot of difficult situations with clubs with no money

• Sponsored links:

And playing dreadful football. Powell won us the league a year later. So no. We should not have kept Parky. If anything, we kept him too long. 
  • edited February 2023
    He wasn’t a bad manager for us once he he got the job, however he got the job because the club couldn’t afford to sack him along with Pardew. The club said before he was appointed, they would do so, depending on  results. That being the case, he shouldn’t have got it.
  • No. He's managing non league for a reason. Awful man manager by accounts of my players who have played under him per Undr the Cosh podcast.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2023
  • Who knows what would have happened had Nicky Bailey not had a game from hell in the playoff second leg
  • Parkinson did badly for us in the Championship and then pretty well in L1 given how dreadful the squad was. Powell couldn't do a thing with the squad he inherited from Parky - a lot of our fans forget how much he struggled.

A decent guy who has always had to work with limited resources. 

From memory, I thought it was 18 matches, which he got a lot of stick for at the time, rightly or wrongly so.
  • echo all the sentiments, shouldn't have been made permanent but what a man and really cared about us. I remember feeling really bad for him after he got sacked, he was a pundit when we were on sky a week or two after, kept stopping himself saying "we" when talking about charlton and you could see that hurt him.
  • Parky was a make do manager. He could come in, get next to no budget, have some poor players to deal with and get a bit out of them by playing simple football. It’s true that Powell struggled with the same players, but a big part of that was Powell trying to enforce a new, more difficult way of playing on what he had to see who was worth keeping. As it turned out, basically no-one. Jackson was the only true first teamer in what Powell had, with Waggy as - in Powell’s mind - a back up. At the time we had Parky though we really did need a manager who could get something out of very little so he kept us going until Powell could come in and I remember him positively for that. One thing I will say is we definitely had players under Parkinson who I view as a lot worse than what we have now and we were threatening the playoffs a lot more then than we currently are. Who would trade Leaburn for Abbott or McCormack for Dobson in their ‘prime’?