Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Phil Parkinson

Comments

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Parky was a make do manager. He could come in, get next to no budget, have some poor players to deal with and get a bit out of them by playing simple football. It’s true that Powell struggled with the same players, but a big part of that was Powell trying to enforce a new, more difficult way of playing on what he had to see who was worth keeping. As it turned out, basically no-one. Jackson was the only true first teamer in what Powell had, with Waggy as - in Powell’s mind - a back up. At the time we had Parky though we really did need a manager who could get something out of very little so he kept us going until Powell could come in and I remember him positively for that. One thing I will say is we definitely had players under Parkinson who I view as a lot worse than what we have now and we were threatening the playoffs a lot more then than we currently are. Who would trade Leaburn for Abbott or McCormack for Dobson in their ‘prime’?
    League One is a completely unrecognisable beast now. Much higher average quality of teams. You'd have thought not so after Brexit cut off the EU players, but it feels like Premiership teams are much more willing to loan to L1 now, plus better across-the-board coaching, fitness and skill, brought about by what feels like a belated grassroots overhaul. (Or am I wrong and is L1 no better now? It FEELS better)
    Standard of coaching is a lot better as well. 
  • Options
    L1 standard has improved a lot - certainly not as bad as a lot of people make out.
  • Options
    or are we just a lot more used to league one standard... discuss...
  • Options
    Yes, should have kept him on. 
  • Options
    Nice guy, crap manager. Should never have got the job after a really pathetic audition. And don’t get me started on his efforts to keep us up.
  • Options
    he was just another in a line of indifferent and bland managers that we have had to endure over the decades .. I mean compare him to Lord Llewellyn or Lennie Lawrence 
  • Options
    Decent bloke deserves any success that comes his way 
  • Options
    What's Alan Mullery up to these days?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was up at Wrexham when I followed the FA Trophy last season (see my book in aid of Upbeats) and briefly met him and many Wrexham fans (including a relative of Arfon Griffiths). They think he is great and he was enjoying the role a great deal. Good luck to him.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    I thought he was a really nice chap and I thought he was hard done by as our manager. 

A few months back I was working and I saw him, and approached him. I told him I was an Addick and that I really appreciated his efforts as our manager. He was not very interested. I then asked him for an interview for my work, and he agreed to do it after the game. But after the game he saw me and ran off. 

So now I don't like Parkinson. 
    what an arse
  • Options
    I told that story to another manager called Phil Parkinson. He said "bah, that doesn't surprise me!".

But I couldn't tell if he genuinely thought his namesake was a moody git, as I experienced, or if this new Phil Parkinson just didn't like someone else having his name. 
  • Options
    Didn't feel Parky had the support from above that he needed (nor has hardly anyone since), also felt like a slippery slide deeper into Magic Roundabout territory, so I felt he was pushed too early. That said, keeping him wouldn't have helped change the course of history. It's hard to see him beating the Chris Powell side's points total and after that Two Shats would have done his own thing anyway.
  • Options
    He left Charlton almost 12 years ago now and has managed Bradford , Bolton , Sunderland and Wrexham since. 
    Our problems since he left are the owners not the managers . Having said all that i'd welcome him back but i don't expect he'd come near us with a barge pole. 
    Only to take our players
  • Options
    Saw Parkinson on the TV talking about Wrexham, he looked the most happy and relaxed, I have ever seen him,
  • Options
    Don't think he's ever slagged us off and for that he's ok in my book. 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Didn't feel Parky had the support from above that he needed (nor has hardly anyone since), also felt like a slippery slide deeper into Magic Roundabout territory, so I felt he was pushed too early. That said, keeping him wouldn't have helped change the course of history. It's hard to see him beating the Chris Powell side's points total and after that Two Shats would have done his own thing anyway.
    Well I don't know about that. I was at a shareholders meeting (may have been around the launch of Baton) and Murray made the astounding comment that in his opinion Parky was a better manager than Curbs. I knew then we were on a downward slide with that idiot in charge.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Well I don't know about that. I was at a shareholders meeting (may have been around the launch of Baton) and Murray made the astounding comment that in his opinion Parky was a better manager than Curbs. I knew then we were on a downward slide with that idiot in charge.
    I was at a meeting, think at Bromley, where Murray said Parky would'nt be getting the job permenantly, then appointed him the following week. Never trusted Murray from then on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:

Didnt he also say Meir was the best negotiator he had ever met?
  • Options
    Kap10 said:
    Stig said:

Didnt he also say Meir was the best Gnosh giver he had ever met?

• Options
    edited February 2023
    What Parky suffered from was new ownership with their own ideas about what they wanted as a manager. We can throw a lot at them but we can't argue with their choice even if we can still reflect it was hard on Parky. But he has continued to find work and is still working now and I will be happy when Garner gets a new job.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    I was at a meeting, think at Bromley, where Murray said Parky would'nt be getting the job permenantly, then appointed him the following week. Never trusted Murray from then on.
    I remember being told Parky was effectively having a trial as manager in the Championship - bizarre he got the job after that series of results.

He did okay for us in L1 and it will be interesting to see how long Wrexham stick with him. Getting out of NL a must this season.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    I thought he was a really nice chap and I thought he was hard done by as our manager. 

A few months back I was working and I saw him, and approached him. I told him I was an Addick and that I really appreciated his efforts as our manager. He was not very interested. I then asked him for an interview for my work, and he agreed to do it after the game. But after the game he saw me and ran off. 

So now I don't like Parkinson. 

Wrexham smashed Dorking 5-0 that day in early September, so Phil Parkinson would have been upbeat and happy.
    No disrespect, but why would Phil Parkinson want to talk about his Charlton days ? 
    He's moved on and is part of the narrative of Hollywood, Disney and this journey of Wrexham.

You work in football so you must know how many requests Parky would get for interviews.
    While Parkinson is manager, which will continue as long as they are in League 2 next season then he is in great demand for interviews with the world's sport media because of the owners.

Why he didn't just tell you that before the match or tell you to send an email to the club to fob you off I don't know. He probably didn't believe you when you gave him praise as Journalists and film makers come with different agendas. 

Failing at Charlton Athletic doesn't mean you can't be successful some where else.
    Maybe Parky can follow Simon Francis in being born again. Francis had Eddie Howe, Parkinson has Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney but unfortunately we have P.T.Barnum.

That's showbusiness.

• Options
    He did nothing trying to keep us up, went down with a whimper it was so embarrassing, he could have at least attempted to keep us up. The worst manager in my lifetime.
    WTF
  • Options
    Personally paid for the Borrowdale loan. Will always have my respect for that. 
    Wasn't it a very short term loan (A few days ?)
  • Options
    Personally paid for the Borrowdale loan. Will always have my respect for that. 
    Wasn't it a very short term loan (A few days ?)
    I looked it up, 28 days and apparently managed to play 10 games in that time which seems a lot?!