Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Conor McGrandles leaves on loan to Cambridge

1235»

Comments

• I do find it funny when it’s suggested that our lads are a massive step up compared to Cambridge/Lincoln players. 
  • mart77 said:
    I do find it funny when it’s suggested that our lads are a massive step up compared to Cambridge/Lincoln players. 
    Of course the level isn't a massive jump but the expectation is.

I honestly think Lincoln and especially Cambridge would have happily had any of the players we had at the start of the season, remember Gilbey turned down Lincoln.  Where "we" wouldn't want to keep more than a handful.

McGrandles, MacGillivray, Stockley, Lavelle and Kirk have all, at various times this season, been described as the worst players ever to play for us.  Look like they won a competition to play, was used more than once.

Yet they have all gone to league 1 clubs and are all going to play most weeks.  
  • Again I say

In a team like Cambridge he will stand out and be one of their best players, then come back to us and probably be average at best and people will be wondering why Cambridge fans thought he was fantastic.

Because there is a difference and one of those tweets points it out for me.

Will McGrandles be the difference in keeping you up-yes probably and thats why he stands out at a team like Cambridge/Lincoln 

Will McGrandles be the difference in getting you promoted/in the play offs- no and thats why for us he doesn't stand out.

If we want to take that next step we need to be looking more to people like Kilkenny and less to people like McGrandles 
    We’re a long way off taking the next step. Our worry in the summer will be holding onto Dobson not building a better squad. 
  • Again I say

In a team like Cambridge he will stand out and be one of their best players, then come back to us and probably be average at best and people will be wondering why Cambridge fans thought he was fantastic.

Because there is a difference and one of those tweets points it out for me.

Will McGrandles be the difference in keeping you up-yes probably and thats why he stands out at a team like Cambridge/Lincoln 

Will McGrandles be the difference in getting you promoted/in the play offs- no and thats why for us he doesn't stand out.

If we want to take that next step we need to be looking more to people like Kilkenny and less to people like McGrandles 
    Totally get your point Paulie, but I am not sure it’s that simple. The problem here is we were flirting with the bottom of the table, and he was not standing out (in the 179 minutes of football he played) in a team which was considerably underperforming.

Where as he played a major part in Lincoln breaking into the top 6 a couple of seasons ago, so much so that he was given the captains armband the year after. 

• Will be a good test of our recruitment nous going forward. If McGrandles is playing well at Cambridge then I hope we’re keeping a close eye on his form. We certainly never saw the best or even half best of Connor. He’s our player and if he is able to come back and make the squad stronger then we need to recognise that. If DH doesn’t fancy him we need to ask why.
    The issue is, he will never get in ahead of Dobson…

clearly we want to play dobson and Fraser together, and ‘another CM’ whoever that is.
    McGrandles doesn’t fit the role unless Dobson isn’t playing

I get the impression our January/summer loan signings are people we are interested in as those are out of contract come July. So clearly Kilkenny could come back,
    He said himself he's more suited to a more attacking role rather than as a defensive midfielder. If he plays for us I see it being Kilkenny/Morgan's position rather than Dobson's.

Someone said in another thread Kilkenny signed an extension at Bournemouth, so it looks like it's more a case of Holden getting in a player he knows improves us for the short term.
  • edited February 2023
    Don’t think he got a fair shake with us……hope he does well and comes back a better player
  • Quire remarkable how good our players turn out to be when they leave.

Could it be there is something wrong with or club and not them?
  • Sponsored links:

• Quire remarkable how good our players turn out to be when they leave.

Could it be there is something wrong with or club and not them?
    Thanks Michael Owen. No one has ever considered in the last 15 years that our club might be broken.