Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Conor McGrandles leaves on loan to Cambridge

Comments

• Bailey said:
    A succession of injuries, who knows if he's good, bad or indifferent ? Go and get some games and see how it works out, good for him and it frees up a wage which may or may not be used to bring a player in.   
    Does it? How do we know that?
  • Thanks for the memories. 
  • I get that we signed him injured and then didn't provide him with the chance to get fit other than chucking him straight in, but man, he looked pretty lightweight and not the box to box player I thought we had signed based on some opinions here. 

Bit of a recruitment failure all round (shock) signed injured, injured even more then not really sure of where and how to use him.

Made leuth miss Gilbey which is all you need to know really. 
  • Another success for our black box of tricks……..
    To be fair, the Black Box does include a tool that advises which other clubs a player could be loaned out to if the player doesn't work out for Charlton. 
  • CAFCsayer said:
    A good move for both him and us if he plays. He’s had such a disrupted and disappointing start to his Charlton career that I don’t expect he is match fit or sharp, and I don’t think we can afford to carry him either.

Do wonder if we are looking for cover for Dobson though, as he has put in a couple of tired performances recently - and even though we won the game, thought Barnsley really did a job on him. 

He’s a DM, we kept a clean sheet and we won. Hope more teams do a job on him like that
    I acknowledged we won. However it’s not like we dominated the game and Barnsley didn’t hit the woodwork twice or force some very good saves from AMB. Another day, especially with some of the luck we have had, they may go in, and the narrative is completely different.

I’m not the only one to point out he has looked leggy in recent games, and it’s no surprise with the amount he plays and the ground he covers. Barnsley clearly exploited that and he was the midfielder they pressed when we had the ball.

Getting in a solid DM cover will be good to give him some well earned rotation. 

• Martin Sandgaard, head of analytics 
  • Hope this means we’ll be bringing someone in?
    Or use Claire as a midfielder. We now have a left back which means sess on the right. No room for Claire.
  • Oh, so that's Conor McGrandles.

Hardly seen him play. Didnt he injure his finger in a tackle & missed 2 months recovering ?

And to think we let Gilbey leave instead. Poor recruitment all round, but then that's a Shay round here.

• Sponsored links:

• Forgot we even had him. When did he last play for us? 
  • If you look at his stats from the previous couple of years, they were excellent and I don’t think it was a terrible signing. He looked really good in the pre season friendly I saw and I was optimistic he’d do well with Dobson and Fraser. 

But injuries have played havoc with him in the first half of this season and he really hasn’t done well on any first team outings that he has had. 

I don’t want to completely end his Charlton career just yet but no one would be shedding a tear either if we don’t see him again in a Charlton shirt.
  • Have they signed him for the boat race against Oxford can’t be to play football. 
  • RC_CAFC said:
    If you look at his stats from the previous couple of years, they were excellent and I don’t think it was a terrible signing. He looked really good in the pre season friendly I saw and I was optimistic he’d do well with Dobson and Fraser. 

But injuries have played havoc with him in the first half of this season and he really hasn’t done well on any first team outings that he has had. 

I don’t want to completely end his Charlton career just yet but no one would be shedding a tear either if we don’t see him again in a Charlton shirt.
    Honestly I think its a case of we were the wrong club for him

We may not been the club we once were but are still bigger than Lincoln were he was a massive player and the fans loved him

He has gone from being a big fish in a small pond to being a small fish in a relatively big pond.

Same as Gilbey at MK Franchise he was best player at MK and not done much since he has been here, some players just handle being at a smaller club better.

I expect McGrandles to look fantastic at Cambridge again, everyone thinking wow what a player we have when he returns then he dissappears again
  • Not a good fit for us too lightweight in my view. Good move for him needs to play regular football. Good luck.
  • mart77 said:
    Some of the disdain being shown towards McGrandles is baffling for a player who’s clearly been injured and played less than 2 games worth of minutes for us in the league. 
    Not the fans that shipped him out at the first opportunity though is it.
  • Good luck to him, feel for him as injuries must have made the last 6-9months pretty miserable. Hope he rediscovers some form so he can either play a part for us next season or find a new club.

Always made me laugh that Garner said when he joined he watched all out matches of the season before and the first thing he did was drop Dobson, was obvious warning signs about his managerial ability from the start.
    Still doing the Garner hit-pieces are we? He got Dobson back in pretty sharpish didn't he? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    mart77 said:
    Some of the disdain being shown towards McGrandles is baffling for a player who’s clearly been injured and played less than 2 games worth of minutes for us in the league. 
    Not the fans that shipped him out at the first opportunity though is it.
    I already said I think this is a good move for all parties and we clearly need to balance the squad. I don’t think Holden has written him off and won’t be shocked to see him do well at Cambridge. 
    I could get indifference towards him but some comments make it sound like he’s one of the worst players to pull on a shirt for us. 
  • Hope this means we’ll be bringing someone in?
    Or use Claire as a midfielder. We now have a left back which means sess on the right. No room for Claire.

Who?
  • Lol this is absolutely Bananas. Why on earth did we sign him? Why did we want to move JFC on to bring him in instead of just focusing on rehabbing JFC? He signed injured. He then got injured. He then returned...and got injured again. I mean, it's bad luck, but he started playing for the U21s 2-3 weeks ago. No sign of him in the first team. He must just not be fancied at all. Baffling signing.

For those saying we signed rubbish players from League Two, McGrandles is easily the worst summer signing and he came from League One. 
  • SDAddick said:
    Lol this is absolutely Bananas. Why on earth did we sign him? Why did we want to move JFC on to bring him in instead of just focusing on rehabbing JFC? He signed injured. He then got injured. He then returned...and got injured again. I mean, it's bad luck, but he started playing for the U21s 2-3 weeks ago. No sign of him in the first team. He must just not be fancied at all. Baffling signing.

For those saying we signed rubbish players from League Two, McGrandles is easily the worst summer signing and he came from League One. 
    It's odd because at the time there was "reportedly" interest from top league one clubs and champ clubs. Agent talk I guess.
  • Dobson, Fraser, Morgan, Henry, Payne.  I guess he may now see Clare as a midfielder . Looks pretty thin to me - I hope we can get someone in .  Unless big Alex is coming back ?
  • Leuth said:
    Good luck to him, feel for him as injuries must have made the last 6-9months pretty miserable. Hope he rediscovers some form so he can either play a part for us next season or find a new club.

Always made me laugh that Garner said when he joined he watched all out matches of the season before and the first thing he did was drop Dobson, was obvious warning signs about his managerial ability from the start.
    Still doing the Garner hit-pieces are we? He got Dobson back in pretty sharpish didn't he? 
    Dobson started the first game of the season away at Accrington and was dropped for the second game at home to Derby. He came on for McGrandles in the first half and kept his place since.
  • How tall was he ?