Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Conor McGrandles leaves on loan to Cambridge

Comments

• Options
    His not been playing good news to loan him out  free up wages & make space for someone better 
  • Options
    Shocking player, no wonder we are languishing in League 1 if people continue to make excuses for him 
  • Options
    A good move for both him and us if he plays. He’s had such a disrupted and disappointing start to his Charlton career that I don’t expect he is match fit or sharp, and I don’t think we can afford to carry him either.

Do wonder if we are looking for cover for Dobson though, as
    he has put in a couple of tired performances recently - and even though we won the game, thought Barnsley really did a job on him. 

Believe so.
    Cover? Or replacement?
  • Options
    Poor old Martin Sandgaard must be walking around like a right spare wheel at the moment.

Does anyone now involved the football side of the club take any notice of anything he says?
    Completely out of his depth and it's fully unraveling now.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Hope this means we’ll be bringing someone in?
    Or use Claire as a midfielder. We now have a left back which means sess on the right. No room for Claire.

Claire plays for Charlton's women team but Sean Clare has so far played RB, RWB, LB, LWB and Mid field !  
    Clare is a difficult player to sum up because similar to Naby Sarr he can go from the Ridiculous to the Sublime. Clare was like a Kamikaze RB at Old Trafford in the first 15 minutes before morphing into Karl Walker.
    A very unusual all rounder.

I haven't seen enough of Conor McCandles to judge but I know he gets on our fans wick and because of injuries his career at Cafc has been a slow burner, so I hope he can improve his football education at Cambridge. 
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    Bailey said:
    A succession of injuries, who knows if he's good, bad or indifferent ? Go and get some games and see how it works out, good for him and it frees up a wage which may or may not be used to bring a player in.   
    We do know how good he is
    We've seen him in Charlton red
    I still have nightmares
    Getting him off the books now is good business
    He was dead weight soaking up resources
    Let's hope that makes a bit more room for someone who'll improve the squad

And to think Garner selected him in place of George Dobson against Derby in August
    He was so comically dreadful they had to spin some 'concussion injury' b/s to get him subbed off after less than half an hour
    Truth was he blundered around bemused like he was concussed before kickoff not from some collision during the game

Good luck Conor, you and Cambridge gonna need it
    Are you Ted Hughes?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    shirty5 said:
    Who?
    Ronnie Pickering 
    never heard of him :)
  • Options
    Or use Claire as a midfielder. We now have a left back which means sess on the right. No room for Claire.

Claire plays for Charlton's women team but Sean Clare has so far played RB, RWB, LB, LWB and Mid field !  
    Clare is a difficult player to sum up because similar to Naby Sarr he can go from the Ridiculous to the Sublime. Clare was like a Kamikaze RB at Old Trafford in the first 15 minutes before morphing into Carl Walker.

I haven't seen enough of Conor McCandles to judge but I know he gets on our fans wick and because of injuries his career at Cafc has been a slow burner, so I hope he can improve his football education at Cambridge. 
    Who's Carl Walker? :)
  • Options
    Good for him to go and get regular minutes somewhere else , can see this being made a permanent in the summer if it works out. So a CM for that empty loan slot then? 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Billy_Mix said:
    Bailey said:
    A succession of injuries, who knows if he's good, bad or indifferent ? Go and get some games and see how it works out, good for him and it frees up a wage which may or may not be used to bring a player in.   
    We do know how good he is
    We've seen him in Charlton red
    I still have nightmares
    Getting him off the books now is good business
    He was dead weight soaking up resources
    Let's hope that makes a bit more room for someone who'll improve the squad

And to think Garner selected him in place of George Dobson against Derby in August
    He was so comically dreadful they had to spin some 'concussion injury' b/s to get him subbed off after less than half an hour
    Truth was he blundered around bemused like he was concussed before kickoff not from some collision during the game

Good luck Conor, you and Cambridge gonna need it
    Are you Ted Hughes?

Mcgrandles wandered lonely as a cloud
    Alas, not match fit so he was off the pace 
    Conor received groans from the crowd 
    Now he has gone to a better place
    Where he needs cheers out loud.

• Options
    Redhenry said:

Clare is a difficult player to sum up because similar to Naby Sarr he can go from the Ridiculous to the Sublime. Clare was like a Kamikaze RB at Old Trafford in the first 15 minutes before morphing into Carl Walker.

Many Thanks Red Henry 👍
    My friend Carl Walker is a RB who has to fill in at LB for the Dog and Duck.
    Unlike Karl Walker who has pace to burn and has had a wonderful career.

Predictive text can be a god sent but also a pain.
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Good for him to go and get regular minutes somewhere else , can see this being made a permanent in the summer if it works out. So a CM for that empty loan slot then? 
    Think Holden rates Aaron Henry highly so may not replace him like for like and strengthen elsewhere...just a guess!  
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Leuth said:
    Good luck to him, feel for him as injuries must have made the last 6-9months pretty miserable. Hope he rediscovers some form so he can either play a part for us next season or find a new club.

Always made me laugh that Garner said when he joined he watched all out matches of the season before and the first thing he did was drop Dobson, was obvious warning signs about his managerial ability from the start.
    Still doing the Garner hit-pieces are we? He got Dobson back in pretty sharpish didn't he? 
    Dobson started the first game of the season away at Accrington and was dropped for the second game at home to Derby. He came on for McGrandles in the first half and kept his place since.
    McGrandles wasn’t fully fit to start at Accrington. There’s little doubt he was signed to take Dobson’s place.
    Unless there was a sizable offer on the table to sell George Dobson, (and I don't believe skintgaard wouldn't have snaffled it anyway) what manner of fuckwittery was at work that thought Dobbo needed replacing?  He was the anchor and fulcrum for the side for most of last season too!
    Consistent with the level of fuckwittery that saw what MuckRangler had to offer and put him in the first XI
    Seems Garner was truly terrible and/or was permitting interference in selection from the skintgaards - his money pissed away on the injured and inept - he gets to say who plays?  
    Maybe Dobbo's not got a firm enough shot?  FFS how lucky are we we've still got George holding things together in midfield.  This 2 week rest between matches couldna come at a better time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    Scoham said:
    Leuth said:
    Good luck to him, feel for him as injuries must have made the last 6-9months pretty miserable. Hope he rediscovers some form so he can either play a part for us next season or find a new club.

Always made me laugh that Garner said when he joined he watched all out matches of the season before and the first thing he did was drop Dobson, was obvious warning signs about his managerial ability from the start.
    Still doing the Garner hit-pieces are we? He got Dobson back in pretty sharpish didn't he? 
    Dobson started the first game of the season away at Accrington and was dropped for the second game at home to Derby. He came on for McGrandles in the first half and kept his place since.
    McGrandles wasn’t fully fit to start at Accrington. There’s little doubt he was signed to take Dobson’s place.
    Unless there was a sizable offer on the table to sell George Dobson, (and I don't believe skintgaard wouldn't have snaffled it anyway) what manner of fuckwittery was at work that thought Dobbo needed replacing?  He was the anchor and fulcrum for the side for most of last season too!
    Consistent with the level of fuckwittery that saw what MuckRangler had to offer and put him in the first XI
    Seems Garner was truly terrible and/or was permitting interference in selection from the skintgaards - his money pissed away on the injured and inept - he gets to say who plays?  
    Maybe Dobbo's not got a firm enough shot?  FFS how lucky are we we've still got George holding things together in midfield.  This 2 week rest between matches couldna come at a better time.
    I mean this is kind of arguing against yourself in one post isn't it? The point is that our pivot and the key to our midfield is Dobson, with cover provided by... ah yes. There IS no cover. Suspension or injury or even, understandably, just a bit leggy and run down in recent weeks, if he's below his best then the entire team is worse off.

McGrandles may or may not have been the answer, he may yet prove better than suggested once he plays consistently and fully fit, but it's not heresy to say that cover or competition for Dobson wasn't needed, and arguably still is.
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Think Holden rates Aaron Henry highly so may not replace him like for like and strengthen elsewhere...just a guess!  

I really like Henry as a player and think he's got a bright future but not quite sure if Dobbo got injured/suspended if I'd be comfortable with him playing as the holding mid. 

• Options
    SDAddick said:
    Lol this is absolutely Bananas. Why on earth did we sign him? Why did we want to move JFC on to bring him in instead of just focusing on rehabbing JFC? He signed injured. He then got injured. He then returned...and got injured again. I mean, it's bad luck, but he started playing for the U21s 2-3 weeks ago. No sign of him in the first team. He must just not be fancied at all. Baffling signing.

For those saying we signed rubbish players from League Two, McGrandles is easily the worst summer signing and he came from League One. 
    It's odd because at the time there was "reportedly" interest from top league one clubs and champ clubs. Agent talk I guess.
    We signed a player who was captain and a key cog in a Lincoln side who had recently broke into the top 6.

And the bloke he effectively replaced has moved down to league two due to crippling injuries, all be it to a team flying, and was an unused sub in his last game.

Even though it’s not worked out for CM so far, and may never, it really was not some sort of left-field signing. 
    Right, sometimes players don't fit. Or get unlucky with injury. I do think it's possible that there were other League One clubs interested in him, his reputation was quite good. 

My thing is, why have we given up on him so fast? We have a decent midfield, we can probably afford to ease him back in. This only makes sense to me if we bring in another box-to-box midfielder who we feel is as good (and more fit), if not better than McGrandles. Otherwise, we've just let our only natural box-to-box midfielder go out on loan to another League One side. 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Yes, but they're different types of players. We've had Morgan and Payne primarily in the box-to-box role. It has worked pretty well for Ablie, and not for Payne. Henry is more of a deep lying playmaker who can pull the strings. He's relatively mobile, but not that engine room midfielder. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Shocking player, no wonder we are languishing in League 1 if people continue to make excuses for him 
    I don’t expect him to make it with us but Dobson and Clare were written off very early on by some. It’s not as if he’s been poor after a run of games, he’s had minutes here and there in a season where he’s picked up various injuries.
    I'll hold my hands up. I said I never wanted to see Dobson in a Charlton shirt again after the MK Dons away game last season. TBF he was absolutely woeful that night.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    SDAddick said:
    Lol this is absolutely Bananas. Why on earth did we sign him? Why did we want to move JFC on to bring him in instead of just focusing on rehabbing JFC? He signed injured. He then got injured. He then returned...and got injured again. I mean, it's bad luck, but he started playing for the U21s 2-3 weeks ago. No sign of him in the first team. He must just not be fancied at all. Baffling signing.

For those saying we signed rubbish players from League Two, McGrandles is easily the worst summer signing and he came from League One. 
    It's odd because at the time there was "reportedly" interest from top league one clubs and champ clubs. Agent talk I guess.
    We signed a player who was captain and a key cog in a Lincoln side who had recently broke into the top 6.

And the bloke he effectively replaced has moved down to league two due to crippling injuries, all be it to a team flying, and was an unused sub in his last game.

Even though it’s not worked out for CM so far, and may never, it really was not some sort of left-field signing. 
    Right, sometimes players don't fit. Or get unlucky with injury. I do think it's possible that there were other League One clubs interested in him, his reputation was quite good. 

My thing is, why have we given up on him so fast? We have a decent midfield, we can probably afford to ease him back in. This only makes sense to me if we bring in another box-to-box midfielder who we feel is as good (and more fit), if not better than McGrandles. Otherwise, we've just let our only natural box-to-box midfielder go out on loan to another League One side. 
    I don't think we have necessarily given up completely but we have options in midfield and we already have to be careful to manage the minutes of Inniss and Aneke and arguably Sessegnon as well. 

Trying to ease McGrandles back in AS WELL and the squad management it would need is arguably not worth it if he can go out, get fit and come back fitter and more consistent.

It's not like he's in the last year of a contract, if he does reinvent himself he's still on the books for next season.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Yes, but they're different types of players. We've had Morgan and Payne primarily in the box-to-box role. It has worked pretty well for Ablie, and not for Payne. Henry is more of a deep lying playmaker who can pull the strings. He's relatively mobile, but not that engine room midfielder. 
    Henry is another of those players where it isn't immediately obvious  how to fit him in. Deep lying playmakers are a bit of a luxury at our level, where you need midfielders with energy and bite unless they're a cheat code "too good for this level" type player who can pull oppositions to bits with his vision and passing 
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

Many Thanks Red Henry 👍
    My friend Carl Walker is a RB who has to fill in at LB for the Dog and Duck.
    Unlike Karl Walker who has pace to burn and has had a wonderful career.

Predictive text can be a god sent but also a pain.
    So close!

Kyle Walker is superb for England but please don't put down Karl Walker who has enjoyed his career in the Kent League or even Carl Walker playing out of position for the Dog and Duck.

I will stick to surnames in future 🤦🏻‍♂️
  • Options
    Can’t believe we’re signing Kyle Walker, incredible signing for this level.