Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dean Holden & Anthony Hayes Q & A at Bromley Addicks on Thursday 19 January.

Comments

• Options
    The training pitches have been waterlogged since the arrival of DH, so the players are training on half a pitch or astro turf. 
    Ridiculous, as while it has been wet, the weather has hardly been abnormal for this time of year.

It would explain the lack of training videos on social media!
  • Options
    The training pitches have been waterlogged since the arrival of DH, so the players are training on half a pitch or astro turf. 
    Defensive half or attacking half?

;)
    Have you not been attending matches lately and seen AMB kicking the ball out to where all the players have moved over to the right hand side of the pitch ? 
  • Options
    Good to hear the feedback from Covered end, Henry and CL members who attended.
    I'm truly Charltonised after breaking my Fibula low down near the Ankle bone in  November after falling off my Soapbox; the only positive is if I was a horse I would've been put down!

Also pleased there was a good turn out and it was upbeat. Poor old Stephen Henderson and JBG got the short straw several years ago when they were guests at Beckenham cricket club after 6 straight defeats. 

No wonder Corey Blackett-Taylor is knackered in matches just after HT; he only plays on half a pitch at Sparrows.

Dean Holden is an old school Northern manager despite not being old, who appears to understand that you attempt to play players in their best positions; also don't ask Ryan Inniss to play like John Stones and linger on the ball when the opposition player is breathing in your face.

As we have two difficult games coming up the timing may have been perfect for a trip to Bromley addicks by Dean and Anthony.
  • Options

;)
    The bit in the middle.
  • Options

;)
    Have you not been attending matches lately and seen AMB kicking the ball out to where all the players have moved over to the right hand side of the pitch ? 
    I think our left back who ever that maybe should run towards the left flank where AMB can kick it to him, In acres of space.
  • Options
    edited January 2023

;)
    I think our left back who ever that maybe should run towards the left flank where AMB can kick it to him, In acres of space.
    Sorry to go off topic but it’s always been a pet peeve of mine that nobody ever makes that run from a goal kick. You have half the pitch to yourself and you’re one good punt away from being clean through

The home game last season against Burton a long punt from  the keepers hands found Washington and he ran on to lob the keeper and score, he was left of centre.

Goal kicks should be harder to achieve a run on goal if the opposition are in shape defensively.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    If anyone wants to join the mailing list, to be e mailed the details of upcoming meetings, please e mail tony as below, there are no fees/costs.

tony.warran@btinternet.com

The next meeting is scheduled for -
    Thursday 16th February. It would be great to have another bumper attendance.

Thanks for coming everyone your support is greatly appreciated. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

;)
    It's been like that for a long time ... it's worse than U7s football where everyone bar the 'keepers follow the ball about and you can throw a blanket over the lot of them.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

;)
    I reckon they’re taking it in turns mate so brace yourself for a 4-4 draw tomorrow 😉.
    But ... but ... Golfie says "where are our goals going to come from?"
  • Options
    Very enjoyable and positive evening, only annoyance was the worlds loudest blues band playing underneath in the second half making it difficult to hear some bits.

Both were really engaging, Hayes you could sense this wasn’t his forte but he was interesting with a dry wit. Holden was as I was expecting, good orator, engaging and wanting to speak passionately, but I wouldn’t fully take what he says as the truth (I’ve no problem with that though).

Couldn’t / wouldn’t answer who championed him for the job. Think he inadvertently tripped up a bit later by saying he got the train down for the Cheltenham game to do a reccy and get a sense for the place. That was 3 days before Garner was sacked so it’s clear (to me) he was lined up by someone before the job was even available (someone correct me please if I got all that wrong?). Suppose that’s football. 

Also didn’t really buy his explanation that when having talks he was happy with only a 6 month contract as he didn’t feel any longer was right for the club. He’s the first manager to ever put a club they’ve no affection for ahead of their own package / security.

But a very enjoyable evening and great to have such a full room turnout. Holden has likability and I think a potential momentum manager. No idea whether he’s going to be here long term or not, particularly if the current takeover group he must have been backed by falls away. Bet you could get some real fireworks with him at one of these evenings if things weren’t going well as there’s a definite prickly side there under the bonnet. He seemed like he’d be more than happy having it out with a room full of people! 

Suspect he’s good fun on a night out, but seems to have high values, very strong family network etc and I think could be a good influence to a lot of our young players coming through. 

It’s also increasingly clear that the work Steve Avery has done over the last 10 years or so has probably been more important to the current existence of our club than most of us realise. 

Not saying the above is an accurate account, just my take and most likely others read things differently. 
    I was there and your account looks and sounds accurate to me. I would add that he seemed very careful about Bonne recruitment and wanted to hear from  Bonne (face to face) reasons behind the "controversial" tweets/pictures (whatever) as he didn't want to divide the supporters or break any momentum/positivity that was developing.( If thats the case Lyle Taylor is out in the cold !)
  • Options

Did anyone ask DH whether TS had stipulated the way he had to play if appointed? Maybe TS has dropped that approach as he realises we were deep in do-do, and he would be lucky to get anyone at all.
    I did hear DH say he was given a target, but then he seemed to drift into saying that the short term target was to get into mid-table asap- which was pretty obvious.
  • Options
    If you can’t get McCarthy or Warnock then Holden sounds like the next best thing…
  • Options

Did anyone ask DH whether TS had stipulated the way he had to play if appointed? Maybe TS has dropped that approach as he realises we were deep in do-do, and he would be lucky to get anyone at all.
    I did hear DH say he was given a target, but then he seemed to drift into saying that the short term target was to get into mid-table asap- which was pretty obvious.
    No, I didn't ask because he wouldn't have said.
    Yes he was given a target, but as said it drifted into getting the club away from relegation.

NB I reckon Holden can be very sensitive to people's needs, but can also be quite fearsome when required.
    I wouldn't want to p*ss him off  :)
  • Options
    What managers did DH play under during his quite extensive list of clubs ?
  • Options
    Big Sam, Dean Smith, some others I can't remember

AH mentioned Mark Warburton as a big influence 
  • Options

Will try and compile a proper list later but  a quick look shows DH has played under a lot of managers. A lot.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Read an article the other day in which, as Henry said, Big Sam and Dean Smith were big influences. Said he still speaks to Big Sam, similarly Dean Smith. After he was released by Rochdale DH wrote to loads of clubs looking for a new club, most never replied but Dean Smith did, invited him down to Walsall and ended up giving him a contract. 
  • Options
    DH talked about short term  targets eg beating Lincoln to go 12th and then looking to go 11th rather than premier league in five years.

Said whenever he's tried to plan to far ahead its tripped him up.

He clearly wasn't going to speak about what TS or whoever  had said to him regarding targets other than getting away from the relegation zone.

It's clever people management: set achievable objectives that can be met in the short term and so build confidence and belief for the next short term objectives. Success then breeds more success.  
    Going by that last paragraph,  a large banner above the owner's desk wouldn't be a bad idea..

But , of course, it's much too late now. 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    You find out more from ex managers and ex players at Q+A, than you will will ever find out from players or Managers that are still in Situ.

Despite this it still kudos to Bromley Addicks for getting the present incumbent.

I really hope Dean Holden is here until the end of the season and we can be competitive.
    Because of the mandatory injuries it near  impossible we can go on a run to finish in the top 6 despite looking close.

Posh looks difficult and Bolton were my pick for a top six finish at least under Evattball.
    Ian attack, attack, attack Evatt. Remember the 4-1 defeat at the Valley when they went for the jugular at 1-1.

I'm sure Dean Holden is aware of the Ex Barrow, Blackpool and current Bolton manager's style of play.

• Options
    edited January 2023
    Thanks for all the updates from those who were there. Did anyone bring up set pieces?
  • Options

Lee Johnson & Michael O'Neill were managers he coached "under".