Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Know Your Birds? - Edit - Not That Kind!

Comments

• Options
    Stig said:
    Sadly, I've never seen one but there are lots of photos here: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=any&taxon_id=7363&verifiable=any
    Their song is absolutely beautiful.
  • Options
    Is it a Tesla? 
  • Options
    the blue tits in our garden bird box are about to fledge by the looks of it, been sticking their heads out for a couple of days now
  • Options
    the blue tits in our garden bird box are about to fledge by the looks of it, been sticking their heads out for a couple of days now
    Ours fledged a few days back - thankfully, next door neighbour’s cat didn’t get any this year
  • Options
    Any day here too for the blue tits who are nesting in our roof. Magpies are the the main predator here to many of the song birds. The magpies were even taking my gold fish from the pond a couple of years back. 
  • Options
    So far the birdfeeder I've stuck into the front garden of my flat has only attracted lots of great tits - one there right this second, even - and the occasional goldfinch. Nothing else at all. I guess those are the only birds brave enough to visit a front garden by a fairly well-used road!
  • Options
    At one point the White-tailed Eagle in the in-flight picture was "mobbed" by a Buzzard. I wish I had a picture of it, because it's only when you have another bird in shot that you really appreciate the sheer size and majesty of the Eagle. Made the Buzzard look like a pigeon.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ours fledged a few days back - thankfully, next door neighbour’s cat didn’t get any this year
    my missus literally hasn't moved from the garden sofa under a duvet as she's desperate to watch them go (and to ensure the dogs stay away!)
  • Options
    my missus literally hasn't moved from the garden sofa under a duvet as she's desperate to watch them go (and to ensure the dogs stay away!)
    When ours fledged it was lovely, as mum and dad were up in the silver birch adjacent to the bird box, singing away encouraging the chicks to come out - one by one they did, until the whole family were up in the tree chirping and chattering - mum and dad continued to feed them in the tree for a few hours - next day all were gone - the mum and dad worked SO hard to raise them - in and out the box all day long - they are I bet having a well deserved rest now
  • Options
    Harris Hawk spotted in Whitechapel yesterday. 
    Beautiful, but non-native.
    Probably an escapee. They are often used to control/disperse pigeon populations.
    (You probably already know all this).
  • Options
    Harris Hawk spotted in Whitechapel yesterday. 
    Beautiful, but non-native.
    Probably an escapee. They are often used to control/disperse pigeon populations.
    (You probably already know all this).
    Yeah stunning bird. One escaped in Norfolk this week

• Options
    Amazing pic Stig
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:
    I went on a boat trip to Skomer, Grassholm and Skokholm Islands last week. I got several reasonable pictures of the birds, but I reckon this Gannet is the best. 

How are the Puffin and Manx Shearwater numbers this year?
  • Options
    Lovely puffin shot.
    The staff & volunteers on the islands are routinely involved in surveying, counting & ringing various species and all very happy to talk to we visitors.
    Quite the privilege to get to visit these important sites and similarly the Farne Islands but man oh man the stench of guano, once experienced never forgotten. 
  • Options

Any ideas, this was spotted on Madeira, in the forest in the Northern part of the Island 
  • Options
    The Azores Chaffinch looks a good bet as well,

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azores_chaffinch

• Options
    I would go with Madeira Chaffinch 
  • Options
    Thanks everyone 😃
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    So far the birdfeeder I've stuck into the front garden of my flat has only attracted lots of great tits - one there right this second, even - and the occasional goldfinch. Nothing else at all. I guess those are the only birds brave enough to visit a front garden by a fairly well-used road!
    Starlings wouldn’t bat an eyelid…..sodding things can completely strip your feeders within half an hour.
    I and my neighbours are currently at war with them, we have a large flock roosting in the woods nearby….all the young are particularly active right now and the bastards are also shitting all over the old wooden and cast iron garden bench I took hours refurbishing last autumn.
    All other species barely get a look in.