Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Know Your Birds? - Edit - Not That Kind!

Comments

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    Little Golden Oriole I rescued from the middle of the road in France. Got a video of him eating maggots out my hand and out of a pot but can't upload them. 

He ended up in the local wildlife sanstuary in the end, where the women thought he was a Kingfisher

knowing the French they would probably eat it.
  • Options
    Happy Birthday @Leuth
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Picture the scene. Your boy Leuth, 36th birthday, wants to go on the Abraham Heights cable car. His extremely reasonable partner observes that is it 26 quid each for a tourist trap. He sullenly agrees and tags behind as they pass back along the Derwent. And then he looks down. 

Been waiting my whole life to see one of these. And it happens on my birthday!! 

Great little bird the dipper . Seen quite a few in Wales. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Picture the scene. Your boy Leuth, 36th birthday, wants to go on the Abraham Heights cable car. His extremely reasonable partner observes that is it 26 quid each for a tourist trap. He sullenly agrees and tags behind as they pass back along the Derwent. And then he looks down. 

Cumbria is Dipper-Central. Always a nice spot though. 
  • Options
    Groibbo said:
    Little Golden Oriole I rescued from the middle of the road in France. Got a video of him eating maggots out my hand and out of a pot but can't upload them. 

He ended up in the local wildlife sanstuary in the end, where the women thought he was a Kingfisher

Occasional visitor to Britain, especially here in Norfolk. Always been one of my favourite birds since I was a kid along with the Roller. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Was delighted to spot 2 of them in different parts of the River Frome, on holiday in Somerset last year.
    First I'd seen for literally 40 years, in Scotland back in '82.

• Options
    I'm not going to lie though, the highlight of 2022 was seeing my first (and second) White Tailed Eagle in Poole Harbour. Sorry, no photo.
  • Options
    I'm not going to lie though, the highlight of 2022 was seeing my first (and second) White Tailed Eagle in Poole Harbour. Sorry, no photo.
    Brilliant. I need to see one of these. Occasional visitor to Norfolk but a visit to Scotland or the IOW will hopefully do it 
  • Options
    KettsJohn said:
    Groibbo said:

Occasional visitor to Britain, especially here in Norfolk. Always been one of my favourite birds since I was a kid along with the Roller. 
    They make a very distinctive sound John. We heard them every year in our little woodland, but never actually saw one. Then I rescued this one.

@Stig @WSS @Lookout Can't remember who the tech one is out of you lot, but is there any way of uploading a video on here?
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    Gribbo said:

I was astounded by the amount of people just going straight over him before I got the chance to pick him up. You could clearly see him from quite a way off and it was easy to swerve to the side. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Got one on Mrs phone of me feeding him out of my hand, but it's on her phone and she's at work
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Hal1x said:
    Gribbo said:

I was astounded by the amount of people just going straight over him before I got the chance to pick him up. You could clearly see him from quite a way off and it was easy to swerve to the side. 
    Well done for stopping.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    KettsJohn said:
    Groibbo said:

They make a very distinctive sound John. We heard them every year in our little woodland, but never actually saw one. Then I rescued this one.

@Stig @WSS @Lookout Can't remember who the tech one is out of you lot, but is there any way of uploading a video on here?
    Not me, that's for sure ;)
  • Options
    I would love to see a waxwing again. Many years ago, the house we lived in had a large cotoneaster bush and I was amazed to see these wonderful birds enjoying the berries. They are very exotic looking birds and are winter visitors from northern Europe.

I am a member of a Facebook group for waxwing sightings.  There have been quite a few sightings this winter, mainly in Scotland and the north of England, unfortunately they haven't ventured further south.
  • Options
    KettsJohn said:
    Brilliant. I need to see one of these. Occasional visitor to Norfolk but a visit to Scotland or the IOW will hopefully do it 
    I've pm'd you mate
  • Options
    Sorry mate, don't believe you
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Sorry mate, don't believe you
    I can draw you a picture? 
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    One to have a guess at.

• Options
    Great Northern Diver?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good thinking, but no.
  • Options
    KettsJohn said:
    Groibbo said:

Lucky enough to see one in Kent back in the late 80's. Pretty rare to see them in the UK.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    One to have a guess at.

Tufted Duck?
  • Options
    Good guess, and this one was with a bunch of tufties, but no.
  • Options
    Greater scaup then? The only other one that looks like that...
  • Options
    (You can see its upperparts are grey rather than black, which is the tell)
  • Options
    Good thinking, but still not quite there. It was in fact a Pochard.

• Options
    Stig said:
    Good thinking, but still not quite there. It was in fact a Pochard.

looks nuffink like a pilchard?,
  • Options
    Have any of you guys ever seen or heard a Woodlark singing…..better still any photos you may have taken stating where and when?
    Cheers.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Sadly, I've never seen one but there are lots of photos here: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=any&taxon_id=7363&verifiable=any

Edit - if you look at the ones that are marked as 'Research Grade' they'll all have location data unless the observer has deliberately requested that it be hidden. This is for worldwide sightings, but you can go into map view and narrow it down however you want.