Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England vs Senegal - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    I like Southgate.

One thing I like about him is that he knows how to describe our players properly, using a simple positive adjective like 'super' rather than this current trend of reinventing negative words like 'ridiculous', 'ludicrous' or 'a joke'

Harry Kane is most definitely not a joke, and our substitutes are not ludicrous. 
  • Options
    So Sterling is going home, Southgate isnt sure if he'll be back

Feels like Gabriel Clarke is sticking to being a prick by asking too many questions about that
    It was reported by Matt Law a journalist that Sterling's family were victims of a robbery. I have no issue with him staying home if that's what's right.
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    Lots of disappointed people around the UK with that result! 
    I can't imagine many enjoyed it in Scotland, but we Wales fans can now tell ourselves we can't have been as bad as people said, because we got the same result against England as the African champions did.

As I keep saying, it wasn't a soft group, it's just a really good England team.
  • Options
    Think the team that started is very close to our best 11.

Pickford is massively under appreciated. It's also nice seeing Henderson in that work horse role. He's gone from our deeper playmaker to our engine and looks much better in that box to box role. 

Foden, Kane and Saka are just a joy to watch. Really hoping they are starting next game but you couldn't blame Southgate for thinking about the 352

Great win. I think France will be a coin flip.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Good result that. Though we do play like two different teams at times. I prefer the confident attacking England best.

First England game I haven't spotted Chris Powell. Has he gone home to look after Stirling?
    I don't know what's going on in Sterling's (or White's for that matter) family but if for example his Dad is sick, I'd hope someone would say to him 'get back out there - it's what your Dad would have wanted.'
    I wouldn't want my son to waste such an opportunity of a lifetime. He might feel that his mind wouldn't be on the job but I'd be telling him to get back and do it for that person - score a goal and dedicate it to that family member.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Our game against France really wouldn't look out of place as the final. 
    IF IF we win, no doubt we'll be wondering what might have been had we beaten Croatia four years ago - Our squad has progressed so much though in that time. May well have been four years too soon for us
    I have been say for ages our best chance will be in Germany, when you look at the team we actually had, 2018 was a miracle and 2020(1) was a few years early.  This is a bit of a lottery so a free hit.
    Nonsense. You have to take the chance when it comes. I've been hearing what you're saying ever since 1986.
  • Options
    So it’s a Brazil vs France/England then….
  • Options
    Potential for Spain v Portugal in the Quarters too. 

That'll be a big game. Shame it's hosted in Qatar. 
    Why’s that @SELR_addicks
    All the other games have been played there. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The news has broke why Sterling will need to come home over the last hour but White was unlikely to get many minutes so best that he came home IF it's an serious illness of a close relative. 
  • Options
    In reply to Damo at 9.33 (can't quote for some reason)

If true

This sort of thing pisses me off. These assholes who think they can take what they want from people need to rot. The fear and trauma the victims go through is ridiculous. Just hope nobody was injured or worse.
  • Options
    The BBC live text page is having some fun with statistics about World up finals tournaments. A few highlights:
    - Henderson is the second-oldest England player to score at a WC tournament.
    - Bellingham is the youngest player credited with an assist in a knock-out game. For any team, ever. Although they do admit there are no records of assists before 1966.
    - Senegal have only once before conceded 3 in a game, and they drew that game.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    IF IF we win, no doubt we'll be wondering what might have been had we beaten Croatia four years ago - Our squad has progressed so much though in that time. May well have been four years too soon for us
    I have been say for ages our best chance will be in Germany, when you look at the team we actually had, 2018 was a miracle and 2020(1) was a few years early.  This is a bit of a lottery so a free hit.
    Nonsense. You have to take the chance when it comes. I've been hearing what you're saying ever since 1986.
    So England got to a Euro final with a team of teenagers and players in their early 20s in 1986? 

I will bet a significant sum that England do rather better in Germany 2024 than they did in Germany 1988...
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Potential for Spain v Portugal in the Quarters too. 

That'll be a big game. Shame it's hosted in Qatar. 
    Why’s that @SELR_addicks
    All the other games have been played there. 
    Just in general a shame these massive games are played in a country that isn't really bothered enough to fill stadiums for the games. 
  • Options
    predictable comfortable as expected in the end 
    now can we win a game against a team that are better than us 
  • Options
    2018 was the luckiest draw in the history of world cups for us 
    2020(1) was the luckiest draw in the history of euros for us 

this year not so lucky … beat France and I will believe 
  • Options
    Yes it’s ridiculously early but I can’t help but think the winner of our quarter final wins this Would Cup
  • Options
    predictable comfortable as expected in the end 
    now can we win a game against a team that are better than us 
    Are they better than us?  

Of the two sets of 11 that started tonight which of us has the most that would get on a combined team?

Use the subs as a tie bracket.  The 100 million pound man, the leader of the opposition and um Eric Dier.  Or bench strength is unreal.

We might loose to France, we might not, but let's be honest we are unlucky to be even playing France, equally they are unlucky to be playing us.  Who ever wins this game will be losing finalists, at worst.
  • Options
    I don’t expect either side to win it .
    I think there is no outstanding team in this World Cup 
    but 
    I’ve looked back and can’t find a fixture in the last 20 years of tourney football where we won a game I genuinely expected us to lose .
    we have lost plenty I expected us to win 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    So England got to a Euro final with a team of teenagers and players in their early 20s in 1986? 

I will bet a significant sum that England do rather better in Germany 2024 than they did in Germany 1988...
    Since 1986 might be an exaggeration but certainly over the last 20 years.

I agree that we should do better, but we are not a team of teenagers and players in their early twenties now - just look at today's starting line up. We have a mix of youth and experience and with the right replacements at each tournament it should always be like that. It always annoys me that England fans look to the future when you have to forget that, and win in the present.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Fun fact; England have faced France twice @ the World Cup... We've won both games.

However, England and France have NEVER met in the Knockout Stages of a Major Tournament
  • Options
    First World Cup Finals game watching England for a lot of us will be us beating France in 1982 ….3-1 and Bryan Robson scoring after 27 seconds ….
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Since 1986 might be an exaggeration but certainly over the last 20 years.

I agree that we should do better, but we are not a team of teenagers and players in their early twenties now - just look at today's starting line up. We have a mix of youth and experience and with the right replacements at each tournament it should always be like that. It always annoys me that England fans look to the future when you have to forget that, and win in the present.
    Look at Foden, Bellingham, Saka, Rice, Phillips then  Rashford, Pickford, even Luke Shaw will only be 30 by the next world cup.  Then you have TAA and James who will be mid 20s.  Slabhead and Stones won't be old.

Most teams win it the one after you first think they have a chance.  I am sure @Callumcafc will have the stats to hand but you normally have a core with 60-70 caps to win something.

It's not about not wanting to win in the present, I absolutely want us to win this (and we can) I just don't agree that its the end of the world if we don't.

I wouldn't jog Southgate on if we lose to France, this is worth a long term investment and and I would actually go with someone involved in ot to eventually replace Southgate.  Even if they don't manage a club beforehand.

• Options
    First World Cup Finals game watching England for a lot of us will be us beating France in 1982 ….3-1 and Bryan Robson scoring after 27 seconds ….
    I expect Bellingham to score after 26 seconds now!
  • Options
    Yes France are really good, but so are we. The important thing is to find a way of countering Mbappe, without losing all which makes us such a dangerous team going forward. The French will be fearing our attacking players too.

Indeed it's all set up to be a feast of attacking football, so will end up 0-0 and penalties
  • Options
    Yes France are really good, but so are we. The important thing is to find a way of countering Mbappe, without losing all which makes us such a dangerous team going forward. The French will be fearing our attacking players too.

Indeed it's all set up to be a feast of attacking football, so will end up 0-0 and penalties
    Really wouldn't surprise me much, or a 1-0 (more likely to France), can see us worrying a lot about Mbappe and Grirzmann and setting up very defensively.

I'd take it if we nicked a 1-0 or a win on pens though!!
  • Options
    Not looking forward to MBappe v Maguire though if it happens..

• Options
    I also noted the lack of Chris Powell during and after the game on TV but a friend says he did spot him pre match in the tunnel.

Just appalling to hear of the robbery at Sterling’s home.