Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

MATCH THREAD: CHARLTON ATHLETIC v CHELTENHAM TOWN / FRIDAY 2nd DECEMBER 2022 7.45pm KO

edited December 2022 in General Charlton
Interesting team selection to say the least... Garner trying to make a point? Or literally has no other choices?

Comments

• edited December 2022
    Looks set-up to a be 3-5-2 to me.

Charlton: MacGillivray; Mitchell, Inniss, Ness; Clare, Morgan, Dobson (c), Fraser, Sessegnon; Rak-Sakyi, Jaiyesimi

Subs: Maynard-Brewer, Lavelle, Forster-Caskey, Payne, Campbell, Kirk, Aneke
  • I’d say he’s got no other choices. But blimey, that’s a poor line-up
  • Garner hoping for Christmas off? 

Quite a gamble that lineup, massive role for Inniss marshalling that back 3
  • Making a point in a league game would be incredibly dumb and childish. It was dumb and childish when Slade did it in the last preseason friendly. The only one who should probably be starting is Chuks, but we know the gamble that is, and we know he can't play 90. 

Dropping Lavelle...felt inevitable. I mean it's a 17 year old and a what, 21 year old who has never played in the league? But it's hard to argue given that he's just been poor.

My biggest question is where is Deji? He must be hurt, because he's been out of the last 2-3 squads, unless Garner really, really doesn't fancy him? But it would be weird to recall him before Ness only for him not not even make the squad.
  • Cheltenham: Southwood, Long (c), Williams, Freestone, Sercombe, Nlundulu, May, Taylor, Bonds, Broom, Olayinka

Subs: MacDonald, Raglan, Brown, Jackson, Barkers, Norton, Hutchinson
  • edited December 2022
    SDAddick said:
    Making a point in a league game would be incredibly dumb and childish. It was dumb and childish when Slade did it in the last preseason friendly. The only one who should probably be starting is Chuks, but we know the gamble that is, and we know he can't play 90. 

Dropping Lavelle...felt inevitable. I mean it's a 17 year old and a what, 21 year old who has never played in the league? But it's hard to argue given that he's just been poor.

My biggest question is where is Deji? He must be hurt, because he's been out of the last 2-3 squads, unless Garner really, really doesn't fancy him? But it would be weird to recall him before Ness only for him not not even make the squad.
    My only assumption is that Garner's been told Deji was the best youth CB we had so called him back in but he's seen him in training and not liked what he saw. Whispers that he's been going backwards in his development hasn't there?
  • I hear a few of the old players haven't turned up for the "92" celebrations. Must have seen the team sheet & legged it....😅😅😅
  • edited December 2022
    Let's see how this team pans out 🧐,...could be the "Plan B" side,,,thinking about it more like plan Zzzz
  • Sponsored links:

• What time does Charlton TV start?
  • I try to stay positive but that looks a shockingly poor lineup. Is that really the best we can do?

Could be a long game 
  • SDAddick said:
    Making a point in a league game would be incredibly dumb and childish. It was dumb and childish when Slade did it in the last preseason friendly. The only one who should probably be starting is Chuks, but we know the gamble that is, and we know he can't play 90. 

My only assumption is that Garner's been told Deji was the best youth CB we had so called him back in but he's seen him in training and not liked what he saw. Whispers that he's been going backwards in his development hasn't there?
    He would have seen him for a bit in pre-season as well, and yes, he did send him out on loan to a non-league side very early. But...man, that would be weird if he's dropped so far down the pecking order. I do think Ness has a lower ceiling but looks a little more dependable right now. And Mitchell looked good in his cameos, but it seems pretty severe and harsh for a player who was being linked with a move to a bigger club less than a year ago.
  • Solidgone said:
    What time does Charlton TV start?
    45 mins before kick off usually
  • Wonder how the defence will line up...

Either Ness or Mitchell @ RWB or Clare, with the two youngsters in defence and being guided by Inniss?
  • What time's the stream supposed to be starting tonight?
  • aliwibble said:
    What time's the stream supposed to be starting tonight?
    Its on now
  • edited December 2022
    CATV started with Charlotte and Browny,, will be good to hear from Kish again, looks well..
  • Sponsored links:

• Cheltenham 5/1. Looks good money if you ask me 
  • Thanks @ForeverAddickted. It was showing as "offline" when I posted, but seems to have started as soon as I did :)
  • Saw our team and out a couple of quid on Cheltenham. FFS!!!
  • Just seen the lineup and have stuck all of my savings on Cheltenham. I’ll be amazed if we get anywhere near their goal 
  • 🔴 Four changes for the Addicks

🔴 Full league debuts for Ness and Mitchell  

🔴 MacGillivray and Jaiyesimi both start 

🔴⚪ #cafc

• Bagoshite
    So pleased to be at home 
  • I hear a few of the old players haven't turned up for the "92" celebrations. Must have seen the team sheet & legged it....😅😅😅
    If they'd turned up with their boots they'd be in the starting XI ...
  • Browney showing his surprise to the line up changes, playing 3-4-3 with Morgan and JRS either side of DJ up front, lets see how this goes, but a very strange line up with Mitchell and Ness either side of Innis at the back..
  • edited December 2022
    One change for Cheltenham from their last league match: Freestone comes in for Raglan.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!