Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Match Thread (+post p.12): Charlton Athletic vs Coalville Town (FA Cup R1)| Saturday 5th Nov 2022

1101112131416»

Comments

• Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    How can Deji Elerewe be behind 17 year old Mitchell or Ness ? No disrespect to either of those two lads who are doing well.

Deji still trains with Charlton despite being on loan so Ben Garner must be aware of his qualities ?
    Recall Deji who was considered alongside Daniel Kanu and Burstow as the 3 best  prospects in the Charlton Academy at their respective age groups 12 to 15 months ago.

This was the opinion of professionalism coaches. Also coaches who have known Deji since he was 8 years stated he had intelligence to go with his natural ability and he is a unit as he has matured. With Inniss inability to play more than 15 League games a season the CB positions are a real problem. 
    McConnell hopefully will be back by the end of the month but with Lavelle lacking confidences and form we really don't want to play Clare at CB despite he did ok TBF to the versatile Sean.
    He’s not behind him?!

He’s off getting valuable first team football with the option of an instant recall? He hasn’t been needed yet, but may be now and he’ll come back.
    Ness, Deji and Mitchell are all decent options, but of course won’t have the strength and aerial ability of an Inniss, or the composure and passing ability of an O’Connell or Thomas. 
    There’s a decent chance that one or two of them might eventually play at a higher level than L1, but right now, as playing at least one of them is going to be our only option, I hope we’ll back them, and make allowances for any mistakes that crop up. 
    Mitchell certainly looked a class act yesterday. 
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Watching Wrexham v. Oldham reminds (I’m always banging on about it) what a weapon the long throw can be. And didn’t realise Elliot Lee had joined Wrexham. 
    Also, what’s a player like Timmy Abraham doing in the National League? I wouldn’t have been unhappy if we’d signed him. 
  • Options
    Looks like Jack has won a £50 gift card as part of his MoTM performance

jackopayne?  I didn't know he was Irish.
  • Options
    I have just been contacted by my mate who's a director at Coalville. He has asked me to specifically post the comment below.

He was talking to all his players on the journey home and they were all, to a man, completely blown away by our skipper waiting at the pitchside for them to congratulate every one of their players as they came off the pitch.
    They all know he gets some grief off the home fans, but said he was a credit to our club, they were very appreciative of his gesture.
    I'm guessing this is Stockley he's talking about, in which case that was a very nice gesture but I'd like him to show the opposition a little less respect on the pitch and score a few more goals.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Watching Wrexham v. Oldham reminds (I’m always banging on about it) what a weapon the long throw can be. And didn’t realise Elliot Lee had joined Wrexham. 
    Also, what’s a player like Timmy Abraham doing in the National League? I wouldn’t have been unhappy if we’d signed him. 
    How many times have you seen him play? He’s obviously nowhere near good enough for league 1 if he went to a crap league 2 side after being released by Fulham, and then loaned out to a national league side. 
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    A few people have alluded to this this morning, but why are we SO quick as fans to write players off based on a handful of appearances. 

Mcgrandles hasn’t done brilliantly since arriving, but came with excellent league one pedigree, had the third highest tackles in league one playing in a position that wasn’t his most natural by all accounts and got a couple of early injuries in pre/early season.

Instead of trying to ship him off, let’s be supportive of him and at least give him more than 2/3 starts before we send him off to Stevenage.
    This
  • Options
    Caught up on the goals.  Although it was good (hopefully) for Stockley’s confidence to score, he was unmarked at a set piece.  I appreciate he’s doing a job for the team at the moment, but he has one goal in open play so far this season.  That’s just not good enough as our main forward.  

• Options
    How can Deji Elerewe be behind 17 year old Mitchell or Ness ? No disrespect to either of those two lads who are doing well.

Deji still trains with Charlton despite being on loan so Ben Garner must be aware of his qualities ?
    Recall Deji who was considered alongside Daniel Kanu and Burstow as the 3 best  prospects in the Charlton Academy at their respective age groups 12 to 15 months ago.

This was the opinion of professional coaches. Also coaches who have known Deji since he was 8 years stated he had intelligence to go with his natural ability and he is a unit as he has matured. With Inniss inability to play more than 15 League games a season the CB positions are a real problem. 
    McConnell hopefully will be back by the end of the month but with Lavelle lacking confidences and form we really don't want to play Clare at CB despite he did ok TBF to the versatile Sean.
    Deji has been recalled now, BG listening to you Sam!  :)
  • Options
    There were rumours about illness yesterday. For example I was surprised not to see Kirk in the squad
    He was defiantly sick. Confirmed by Garner
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    A few people have alluded to this this morning, but why are we SO quick as fans to write players off based on a handful of appearances. 

Mcgrandles hasn’t done brilliantly since arriving, but came with excellent league one pedigree, had the third highest tackles in league one playing in a position that wasn’t his most natural by all accounts and got a couple of early injuries in pre/early season.

Instead of trying to ship him off, let’s be supportive of him and at least give him more than 2/3 starts before we send him off to Stevenage.
    Does it actually matter if FirstName172667 says so and so is shit after half a dozen games, on the Internet? 
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    cabbles said:
    Caught up on the goals.  Although it was good (hopefully) for Stockley’s confidence to score, he was unmarked at a set piece.  I appreciate he’s doing a job for the team at the moment, but he has one goal in open play so far this season.  That’s just not good enough as our main forward.  

Just a small point mate he only ended up being unmarked as the ball came in because Mitchell had blocked off his marker which you can see on the Rolling Reels thread at 0.50 in. Can’t disagree with the rest though.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    cabbles said:

Just a small point mate he only ended up being unmarked as the ball came in because Mitchell had blocked off his marker which you can see on the Rolling Reels thread at 0.50 in. Can’t disagree with the rest though.
    Agree.  It was a good set piece routine.  
  • Options
    cabbles said:

He was unmarked because he ran into space.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

It was hardly a dynamic run which would have tested any defenders, he had all that space due to clever blocking off by our other players in the box, and awful defending. Indeed not sure why Coalville had so few players in their penalty area, where's the rest of their team?

• Options
    The great thing about yesterday was seeing a small club get to the Second round and earning £22.629.

Well done Charlton athletic.
    Actually First round proper winners get £41,000. Coleville do not get any prize money for losing in this round. But will have made about £15,000 in previous rounds. 
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    cabbles said:

It was hardly a dynamic run which would have tested any defenders, he had all that space due to clever blocking off by our other players in the box, and awful defending. Indeed not sure why Coalville had so few players in their penalty area, where's the rest of their team?

I count seven outfield players in the images above, plus the keeper and there's two others who were defending the short corner. The other one I'd imagine is up front waiting for a break away chance.

Front two blokes are doing their job. Mitchell's marker should probably be closer, Stockley's marker is blocked by Mitchell. And I have no idea what the bloke who's free marking no-one at the front post is doing - should be filling that huge hole in the middle of the box to at least put pressure on the header.
  • Options
    Terrific header on target. WTF is the matter with some people on here?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Major said:
    He’d have done well to miss the target from there 
  • Options
    Major said:
    It was a header on target, unmarked against a non-league side. 

Fact is for the majority of his time on he did more than lately, but still not enough really given the opposition.
  • Options
    arny23394 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    How many times have you seen him play? He’s obviously nowhere near good enough for league 1 if he went to a crap league 2 side after being released by Fulham, and then loaned out to a national league side. 
    Only on highlight shows. I’m aware of Tammy of course, and I know he’s not as good, but he looks nippy and lively. We’re short of pace up front. But I take your point. 👍
  • Options
    HEADLINE: Stockley saves 10 kittens from burning building

CharltonLife... Why didnt the useless idiot put out the fire instead?

;)
    TBF he should doing shooting practice... Where were these fucking kittens?
  • Options
    I don't know if this has been mentioned before, the Coalville centre back Jake Eggleton is a 'massive Charlton fan' and a onetime Valley season ticket holder, Age 24, Gravesend born, he's been knocking around the non EFL leagues for a while

Anyone know anything else about him .. central defender .. could he be of interest .. what kinda game did he have on Saturday ? 
    all the lols .. have I missed out on the laughs ?
  • Options
    Coalville Town are resigning their membership of the Southern Football League.

https://www.coalvilletownfc.co.uk/news/club-statement---chairman-steps-down

Coalville Town Chairman Glyn Rennocks would like to issue the following statement regarding the Senior Men’s team who currently play in the Southern League Central Premier Division.

“I first got involved with the club in the early 1980’s when we were in the nearby village of Ravenstone. At the time the club were in all reality a pub team. Over the next 40 years the club has progressed without ever suffering a relegation. Along the way we have enjoyed Promotions, FA & FA Trophy Cup Runs, became the first club from Leicestershire to appear at the new Wembley Stadium but more than all of that on field success we have become a real focal point for the town and local community.

Over the last 2-3 years the costs of running a football club at this level have spiraled and the income has not matched the rise in costs.

Also in recent years the once fantastic support we received from North West Leicestershire District Council has diminished, especially since a certain councilor came to prominence, and he has allegedly said that I personally should come under more scrutiny and has changed the council representative from Cllr Geary who has been for many years a fantastic representative for both council and football club. I feel this is totally unwarranted given the positive impact I and the club have had on the town, providing a facility and structure for almost 900 local children through our 90 junior teams to enjoy football coaching in a safe and healthy environment along with painting the town in a positive light through our success that has received nationwide publicity.

I have always said I am a supporter and it just costs me a lot more than most to go to matches. However as I approach my 70th birthday I can no longer continue to subsidise the club. I have always ran it in a sustainable way, never cut budgets and the club has no debts, However, after much thought and discussions I have taken the difficult decision to step away. The club will withdraw it’s men’s senior team and resign from the Southern League with immediate effect.

I have no doubt that this will disappoint a lot of people, no one more so than me, but there is no other alternative. Along with the financial impact, the running of the club falls on a small group of people, myself, Luke my son, Joy my wife and Steve Cartwright. Whilst we have a fantastic group of volunteers on match days, there is a huge amount of time needed from the four of us everyday and that can no longer continue. Over my tenure I have registered over £140,000 of director loans into the football club to help with its infrastructure, this I will never get back nor do I want back but I also dread to think of what this total would look like if I included every time I have had put money in to the day to day running. As mentioned I am not getting any younger and right now I am at a point where I would rather spend my time and effort on my family, particularly my two and three year old granddaughters – retirement from work also beckons!

Thank you to our great sponsors and people like Mick Jordan who have helped ease the burden over the years as long term supporters of the club.

Current management have been informed earlier today and we wish them all the best moving forward. 

The Girls, Juniors, Inclusive, Ladies and Youth teams will all continue as normal and will benefit from the fantastic facilities at the Owen St Sports Ground that have been created over the last few years.

Lastly I would like to thank all the great players who have represented the club, the Managers Lee Harriman, Tommy Brookbanks and Adam Stevens who have all delivered unwavering success and helped make the journey enjoyable most of the time, the volunteers which no club can function without, the magnificent supporters who have followed us up and down the country, to Adams Park, Meadow Lane, Wembley Stadium and The Valley it has been massively appreciated.  But to those core supporters who have stood beside me on cold winters nights in the Leicestershire Senior League, The Midland Alliance, The Northern Premier League and the Southern League they are the people I have done this for and I thank each and every one of you from the bottom of my heart.

Whilst I appreciate the news will come as a huge shock, I hope one day you will all understand and respect the decision taken. Thank you”

At this point the club will not be making any further comment.

• Options
    Shame he feels unable to continue but understandable as he gets older.