Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Match Thread (+post p.12): Charlton Athletic vs Coalville Town (FA Cup R1)| Saturday 5th Nov 2022

Comments

• I keep promising myself not to watch this bunch of clowns, but, I always succumb and watch. I really hate shit 3rd division players. 
    Is this a whoosh?
  • Gutted Lavelles cock up  gave the northern hordes a moment to savour. A professional job
     half done but at least we are in the next round.

We have to find a way to get more minutes out of Aneke and Payne. Probably our main goal threats.
  • Are there FA Cup highlights on TV this evening….if so which channel?
    Cheers.

@SoundAsa£ highlights on TV tonight BBC2 5:45pm. Or all  on the BBC Sport website
  • edited November 2022
    Stig said:
    Enjoyable game. Very pleasantly surprised to see Charlton respecting the competition and the opposition and putting a strong team out. If a few more of our recent managers had done this, there might have been a better turn out today.
    I'd like to think that if we were to draw say Alvechurch at home in round 2, more fans would want to come now, but I doubt it because league placing takes priority and getting out of L1 as soon as possible is ours. 

The manager took a gamble yesterday picking a stronger side than many were expecting. We won comfortably, but we still lost a player to injury, which could hinder our league challenge.

Playing in the early rounds against little known teams has limited appeal amongst our fans, some of whom feel it belies where we should be as a Club and find it embarrassing. With options available to watch on live streams, a poor turn out is always likely whether we're 'taking it seriously' or not.

To put our attendance into context, only three round 1 ties have attracted crowds of more than 5k so far, Sheff Wed's the highest at 8.5k, Bradford & Bolton the others.
  • I have just been contacted by my mate who's a director at Coalville. He has asked me to specifically post the comment below.

He was talking to all his players on the journey home and they were all, to a man, completely blown away by our skipper waiting at the pitchside for them to congratulate every one of their players as they came off the pitch.
    They all know he gets some grief off the home fans, but said he was a credit to our club, they were very appreciative of his gesture.
    Yeah I noticed him in Louis's video coming back out of the tunnel as the last two Coalville players go towards it, think it could be Eggleton who he walks off with his arm around him
  • Sponsored links:

• RC_CAFC said:
    A few people have alluded to this this morning, but why are we SO quick as fans to write players off based on a handful of appearances. 

Mcgrandles hasn’t done brilliantly since arriving, but came with excellent league one pedigree, had the third highest tackles in league one playing in a position that wasn’t his most natural by all accounts and got a couple of early injuries in pre/early season.

Instead of trying to ship him off, let’s be supportive of him and at least give him more than 2/3 starts before we send him off to Stevenage.
    Don't tempt fate. The last thing we need is for him to up his tackle stats and get sent off at Stevenage!

• Also...JFC showed why he ought to be in the league match day squad. A very tidy performance, from a player who has hardly played. Someone is going to get a bargain in January.

Yesterday was the first time I've seen him play this season. Very comfortable and assured when the ball's in his possession, he's so superior to McGrandles. I can't comprehend how he can't even make the bench for a league fixture, I guess there must be some truth to the contractual payments rumours. Fraser often seems to tail off in the second half of games, JFC would be the perfect replacement.
  • edited November 2022
    How can Deji Elerewe be behind 17 year old Mitchell or Ness ? No disrespect to either of those two lads who are doing well.

Deji still trains with Charlton despite being on loan so Ben Garner must be aware of his qualities ?
    Recall Deji who was considered alongside Daniel Kanu and Burstow as the 3 best  prospects in the Charlton Academy at their respective age groups 12 to 15 months ago.

This was the opinion of professional coaches. Also coaches who have known Deji since he was 8 years stated he had intelligence to go with his natural ability and he is a unit as he has matured. With Inniss inability to play more than 15 League games a season the CB positions are a real problem. 
    McConnell hopefully will be back by the end of the month but with Lavelle lacking confidences and form we really don't want to play Clare at CB despite he did ok TBF to the versatile Sean.
  • How can Deji Elerewe be behind 17 year old Mitchell or Ness ? No disrespect to either of those two lads who are doing well.

Deji still trains with Charlton despite being on loan so Ben Garner must be aware of his qualities ?
    Recall Deji who was considered alongside Daniel Kanu and Burstow as the 3 best  prospects in the Charlton Academy at their respective age groups 12 to 15 months ago.

This was the opinion of professionalism coaches. Also coaches who have known Deji since he was 8 years stated he had intelligence to go with his natural ability and he is a unit as he has matured. With Inniss inability to play more than 15 League games a season the CB positions are a real problem. 
    McConnell hopefully will be back by the end of the month but with Lavelle lacking confidences and form we really don't want to play Clare at CB despite he did ok TBF to the versatile Sean.
    Don’t think you’ll see O’Connell this side of Christmas.
  • swordfish said:
    Stig said:
    Enjoyable game. Very pleasantly surprised to see Charlton respecting the competition and the opposition and putting a strong team out. If a few more of our recent managers had done this, there might have been a better turn out today.
    I'd like to think that if we were to draw say Alvechurch at home in round 2, more fans would want to come now, but I doubt it because league placing takes priority and getting out of L1 as soon as possible is ours. 

The manager took a gamble yesterday picking a stronger side than many were expecting. We won comfortably, but we still lost a player to injury, which could hinder our league challenge.

Playing in the early rounds against little known teams has limited appeal amongst our fans, some of whom feel it belies where we should be as a Club and find it embarrassing. With options available to watch on live streams, a poor turn out is always likely whether we're 'taking it seriously' or not.

To put our attendance into context, only three round 1 ties have attracted crowds of more than 5k so far, Sheff Wed's the highest at 8.5k, Bradford & Bolton the others.
    That injury could have happened in training, as it was an innocuous incident. Indeed for all the worry before the game about non league cloggers, the game was remarkably free of bad challenges, with very few fouls from either side. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Entertaining game. Predictable outcome but the main stars were the Coalville fans.

I thought their rendition of 'you're just a small town in millwall' quite novel.
    They attracted an undesirable element along with their very respectable support  according to Kevin Nolan's report. He makes two references but doesn't elaborate or the content was dropped from the final version. 
  • swordfish said:
    Stig said:

That injury could have happened in training, as it was an innocuous incident. Indeed for all the worry before the game about non league cloggers, the game was remarkably free of bad challenges, with very few fouls from either side. 
    The only card in the whole game was their manager.
    Dunno why.
  • edited November 2022
    I have just been contacted by my mate who's a director at Coalville. He has asked me to specifically post the comment below.

He was talking to all his players on the journey home and they were all, to a man, completely blown away by our skipper waiting at the pitchside for them to congratulate every one of their players to come off the pitch.
    They all know he gets some grief off the home fans, bus said he was a credit to our club, they were very appreciative of his gesture.
    My boss who is a Fulham fan heard Jayden on a podcast recently (not sure which one), and said he was very impressed by him.

Sadly many individuals on here, because of his performances on the pitch (ultimately where it matters), have already decided what they think about him as a person.

Read this interview with Garner, https://www.coachesvoice.com/cv/ben-garner-crystal-palace-west-brom-bristol-rovers/, and how he emphasis the importance on senior characters and leaders in a squad. There’s a reason Stockley has been made captain by him and other managers. 

I don't see people criticising Jayden as a person. Off the pitch he seems a well spoken, popular individual.

It's on the pitch where he is being criticised, due to his ineffectiveness. He's not mobile, he seems to have lost his aerial dominance that we saw when he first joined us, and he does tend to moan a lot. I don't see him going around encouraging and geeing up his teammates.
    There has been plenty of that on here. 

The evidence is literally there on recent match threads. 
  • I don't see people criticising Jayden as a person. Off the pitch he seems a well spoken, popular individual.

It's on the pitch where he is being criticised, due to his ineffectiveness. He's not mobile, he seems to have lost his aerial dominance that we saw when he first joined us, and he does tend to moan a lot. I don't see him going around encouraging and geeing up his teammates.
    As well as not playing a style to suit his game, he hasn't had a consistent striking partner either.
  • edited November 2022
    Chunes said:
    I have just been contacted by my mate who's a director at Coalville. He has asked me to specifically post the comment below.

He was talking to all his players on the journey home and they were all, to a man, completely blown away by our skipper waiting at the pitchside for them to congratulate every one of their players to come off the pitch.
    They all know he gets some grief off the home fans, bus said he was a credit to our club, they were very appreciative of his gesture.
    My boss who is a Fulham fan heard Jayden on a podcast recently (not sure which one), and said he was very impressed by him.

Sadly many individuals on here, because of his performances on the pitch (ultimately where it matters), have already decided what they think about him as a person.

Read this interview with Garner, https://www.coachesvoice.com/cv/ben-garner-crystal-palace-west-brom-bristol-rovers/, and how he emphasis the importance on senior characters and leaders in a squad. There’s a reason Stockley has been made captain by him and other managers. 

I don't see people criticising Jayden as a person. Off the pitch he seems a well spoken, popular individual.

I honestly can't recall anyone saying Jayden Stockley is a fundamentally bad human being, as opposed to football player. 
    I never said anyone said he is a ‘fundamentally bad human being’, but it is clear because of his subpar performances on the pitch people decide to criticise him about everything.

I have not dreamt about reading people complaining about his ‘body language’, his ‘attitude’, and how he speaks to other players. Someone recently questioned him for the way they perceived he talked to one of our younger players. 

And that’s some of the kinder stuff. 

• Chunes said:

I honestly can't recall anyone saying Jayden Stockley is a fundamentally bad human being, as opposed to football player. 
    I never said anyone said he is a ‘fundamentally bad human being’, but it is clear because of his subpar performances on the pitch people decide to criticise him about everything.

I have not dreamt about reading people complaining about his ‘body language’, his ‘attitude’, and how he speaks to other players. Someone recently questioned him for the way they perceived he talked to one of our younger players. 

And that’s some of the kinder stuff. 

Yup, he's constantly moaned at for waving his arms about.
  • There were rumours about illness yesterday. For example I was surprised not to see Kirk in the squad