Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Favourite World Cup?

124»

Comments

• Options
    IdleHans said:
    How will you know whether or not it's half decent until you've watched it?
    I’m kind of hoping that if its a repeat someone will tell me if its still worth bothering with😉
  • Options
    cblock said:
    cblock said:
    cblock said:
    1966 we won it.

1982  went there to Bilbao for the opening rounds, Robson after 12 seconds, right behind the goal
    when he scored, followed by the local old bill waiving batons!
    I'd be amazed if they actually waived their batons.
    Be amazed then.
    @cblock waived / waved. Rather different things to do with one’s baton. 
    Thanks for the lesson Dad
    You're welcome, you obviously needed it.
  • Options
    cblock said:
    cblock said:
    cblock said:
    1966 we won it.

1982  went there to Bilbao for the opening rounds, Robson after 12 seconds, right behind the goal
    Be amazed then.
    My last words on this.

You obviously need to feel superior to people, highlighting my spelling mistake, was that really necessary?  You don't impress me,
    in fact You come across as a pompous twat.
  • Options
    Good article about Pele and the 1970 World Cup

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62712350

• Options
    cafctom said:
    It’s quite incredible how England’s run to the Semi Final in 2018 and Final in 2020 somehow gets criticised more frequently than the embarrassing group stage exit in 2014 or Round of 16 humiliation to Iceland.

We’re a strange country at times.
    Agree with this, but I think the run to the final of 2020 was far more of an achievement than the semi in 2018. Breaking down the games in 2018, we were lucky with the draw right the way through. The biggest achievements were off the pitch, making the team vaguely likeable again, and winning the shoot-out. Still an achievement, but a feeling we should've gone one better and made the final. Euro 2020, on the other hand, we made some very good teams look very average, and gave it everything in the final. 

98 for me... love a tournament near England if we can't have it in England. Was sat doing an A-Level during the Tunisia game, the teachers slapped the latest score up on the walls as we wrote our exam! But there was a lot of flair on show right through the tournament. 

02 had that great moment against Argentina... 
  • Options
    Italia 90: When Football Changed Forever
    C4 9pm 1st of 3, 1 hour episodes tonight. 
  • Options
    Italia 90: When Football Changed Forever
    C4 9pm 1st of 3, 1 hour episodes tonight. 
    I hadn't realised it wasa 3 - parter. Not knowing that, I was getting a bit frustrated that it spent so long on the earlier 80's and all the hoolies, including individuals involved at the time, one of whom was a Spanner. However it all became clearer, and towards the end (of E1) there is a very neat little reveal involving the hoolies- including the Spanner-, which constitutes a spoiler if described, so I won't.

Also among the journos featured is Adrian Goldberg, whom I dealt with re the Dossiers; he was the unwitting inspiration for the website, because having chased me aggressively to see what we had on Farnell, he equally aggressively grilled me to "prove" that Farnell is anything more than an ambulance chasing lawyer. In the film he is as he was on the phone. Quite smart and sharp, but still a **** who needs a good slap.

Anyway, well worth it, especially if you are old enough to have been around then, and back in the 80s.
  • Options
    cblock said:
    cblock said:
    cblock said:
    cblock said:
    1966 we won it.

Be amazed then.
    My last words on this.

You obviously need to feel superior to people, highlighting my spelling mistake, was that really necessary?  You don't impress me,
    in fact You come across as a pompous twat.
    My last word on this. It was an attempt at a humorous aside, seeing as they could have waived their batons but it’s very unlikely foreign filth would do. You then doubled-down, probably because you hadn’t realised your mistake which I then, helpfully and politely I thought, pointed out. You then got sarky so I gave back accordingly. You were quite unnecessarily rude in response. 

By the way, I don’t need to ‘feel’ superior to people, I know I am to most and certainly to one person I can think of. 
  • Options
    It's a toss up between 1978 and 1982 for me.

Argentina '78 was the first World Cup I remember watching (I'd have been 3 years old for the previous one) and the ticker tape coming from the stands was something weird.

The Spain tournament had some memorable moments and matches: Gerry Armstrong scoring the winner for Northern Ireland against the hosts; Italy beating the magical Brazilians; the shocking West Germany/Austria stitch-up group game.

The final also provided one of the finest (non-Charlton) images:

• Options
    Qatar 2022 has actually been a decent World Cup so far. I´m enjoying it more than 2006, 2010 and 2014.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This ones not bad so far.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    It’s quite incredible how England’s run to the Semi Final in 2018 and Final in 2020 somehow gets criticised more frequently than the embarrassing group stage exit in 2014 or Round of 16 humiliation to Iceland.

We’re a strange country at times.
    Absolutely.
    But, to be honest, until a few days ago when curiosity caused me to look up previous World Cup stats, I was surprised to see England’s results in 2014 - I had genuinely forgotten all about them. Weird, because I remember the Brazilians getting dicked 7-1 by Germany in the same tournament like it was yesterday.
    I guess I subconsciously chose to erase it from my memory and, of course, nobody goes on about it because nobody wants to.