Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Favourite World Cup?

Comments

• Options
    1990. Bumping into Tavern in Turin
    A tout getting a clump and getting a ticket for the semi.
    The build up and  the atmosphere was potent in Turin.
    The way we were treated by the Italians, compared to the Germans, made for a very us v them attitude.
    The drive there and back in a motor I gave £60 for from Charlton auction.
    Had everything except a victory.
    Up there with the best moments of my life.

Robbo on the wing.
  • Options
    USA 1994: Was the first International competition I truly remember

France 1998: The first one I remember watching properly as it was the first I saw England involved in, had the emergence of the likes of Beckham and Owen, along with that epic game against Argentina.

Germany 2006: Spent a lot of England games down the pub for this one, some great memories

Russia 2018: Obvious reasons!!
  • Options
    Probably due to my age but 1978 for me. Wasn't aware of all the political implications and stuff going on at the time so just got caught up in the whole spectacle of a South American tournamen, with the tickertape and bands playing, etc. Quite different to a '70s Valley atmosphere and seemed a world away.

Some cracking players on show too - Kempes was unplayable but also Rossi, Rumminegge, Krankl, Jonny Rep, etc. Special shout out for little Archie Gemmill's goal against the Dutch too! 
  • Options
    Four favourites in order.

1990. Turned the image of football around in this country, and I went to Luton to see the homecoming, which was amazing.

1974. The first one I remember, blown away by the skill of the Dutch.

2018. An England squad capable of winning, who conducted themselves immaculately. 

1982. The first time England qualified within my memory, the goal after fifteen seconds was awesome.  
  • Options
    Interesting that there's none or very few fond memories of 2006, 2010 or 2014. Maybe it's our age :)
    2006 was alright, 2010 was poor, the Vuvuzelas, England being turgid, Spain seeming to be almost inevitable winners, and a boring final.

2014 was great.
  • Options
    What a great thread. It's fascinating to read how people recount their most memorable tournaments. It's been really interesting to read and to see how different people judge reach world cup.  Well done to every poster who's contributed to making this such a great read. 

However, the correct answer is 1978. 
  • Options
    1970 with out a doubt. England holders players Charlton ,Moore ,and my favorite Colin Bell.  Wonder goals scored by many players and of course Pelé and Brazil at their prime. 
    Football was normal back then and hero’s you could speak with. Never forget that save!!!!and speaking to the man himself afew years later.
  • Options
    1994 was my first that I recall and I was amazed by the whole event.

1998 getting to watch England vs Tunisia on the TV In English at school, you know those tvs with the silver video recorder that we didn't think could tune into normal TV.

I hated 2010. 

I loved the 98 world cup intro that the BBC did and I love this video, shame it only goes upto 2010

https://youtu.be/ar3uie-a6_o
  • Options
    86 and 90 probably my favourites and both have a few things in common. 

Poor England performances in group stage followed by Peter Shilton costing us the tournament by getting out jumped by a midget in 86 and by his inability to dive for a penalty before seeing where the ball was going in 90. Should also have saved the German goal but no, his crappy little putter patter backward steps. He even cost us  third place as well - fuck you Shilton 
  • Options
    World cup 2018

England actually won a penalty shootout!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Interesting that there's none or very few fond memories of 2006, 2010 or 2014. Maybe it's our age :)
    2006 was alright, 2010 was poor, the Vuvuzelas, England being turgid, Spain seeming to be almost inevitable winners, and a boring final.

2014 was great.
    Not for England though.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the responses to this thread - it's been brilliant to read.
  • Options
    Nug said:
    1982, was 13 and mesmerised by Brazil, some absolutely amazing goals. Remember rushing home from school to see Italy beat them in an incredible game. I had the film of the World Cup, G’ole, narrated by Sean Connery, watched it over and over again. Zico, Socrates, Junior, Falcao, Eder… amazing. Must be the best team that didn’t win.
    Same for me, I was 9 but absolutely loved that Brazil team

1990 was superb as was 98 (mainly cause I was in Ayia Napa and spent the tournament drinking with Lee Sharpe) 

2018 was also superb

worst one USA 94
  • Options
    It should be 66 as I watched us win it however I was only 9 and did not really understand all the groups etc but the final was special.

For a complete tournament I have to go for Italia 90.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Italia 90 for me. Funny how its supposed to have been rubbish yet so many of us have voted for it.

It coincided with an epic holiday driving across newly free Europe, World in Motion blaring, to Bulgaria, where my footie mad friends awaited. i was on the overnight ferry to the Hook and fortunately we could watch the last group stage game in the bar. I swear the ferry swayed as Platty scored the winner. Then it just seemed to track my holiday, and the presence of quite a few Scots in the bar on the coast  for the knock out games livened things up. 

I enjoyed Germany too, as it was in my backyard, and i had tickets for Stuttgart 3rd place playoff, which was epic apart from the game, just that England stank the place out.

Qatar can fuck off.

• Options
    86 and 90 for me...
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Although I can remember a few things pre-1966 (Churchill dying for example), I’ve no recollection of the ‘66 World Cup, I don’t think the world stopped for it like it does now.

By 1970 I was football mad, and I soaked up that tournament, including the infamous 3-2 vs West Germany which taught me how cruel football could be. Overall, that WC was probably my favourite. Plus, we saw Brazil at the peak of their powers “taking it turns to give an exhibition”.

The 1990 one was great as well, a classic England start bad and get good performance. I still think if we’d got past the Germans we would have dispatched Argentina but we’ll never know now.
  • Options
    World Cup '86 for me. First one I was old enough to understand. First time Denmark qualified. Beating Uruguay 6-1.
    Allowed to stay up until very late to watch the games. Something very magical about it.
    I was so obsessed by it, that I for a long time remembered every result from all 52 games.
    Not sure how healthy that was for a 10-year old.

In regards to intros, I loved the official one for 2014.

• Options
    Danepak said:
    World Cup '86 for me. First one I was old enough to understand. First time Denmark qualified. Beating Uruguay 6-1.
    Allowed to stay up until very late to watch the games. Something very magical about it.
    I was so obsessed by it, that I for a long time remembered every result from all 52 games.
    Not sure how healthy that was for a 10-year old.

In regards to intros, I loved the official one for 2014.

Loved that Danish team and the silky football they played
    Belgium beating Russia 4-3 in 1986 was a mad one 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mexico 86 was the first one I was old enough to remember. I even remember getting a Pique toy in a kinder egg!

Italia 90 best one for me though. Its weird but most of the others since all tend to blend into one another.
  • Options
    94, by a mile 
  • Options
    For those of a certain age, there's only one possible answer - 1950, England lose to the USA, a game it's since been revealed was fixed by a bent referee.  Seriously, 1966.  I watched every England game and can still vividly remember certain bits of the Uruguay, Mexico, Argentina, Portugal, and W Germany games.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    cblock said:
    1966 we won it.

1982  went there to Bilbao for the opening rounds, Robson after 12 seconds, right behind the goal
    when he scored, followed by the local old bill waiving batons!
    I'd be amazed if they actually waived their batons.
  • Options
    Italia 90 for me. Funny how its supposed to have been rubbish yet so many of us have voted for it.

It coincided with an epic holiday driving across newly free Europe, World in Motion blaring, to Bulgaria, where my footie mad friends awaited. i was on the overnight ferry to the Hook and fortunately we could watch the last group stage game in the bar. I swear the ferry swayed as Platty scored the winner. Then it just seemed to track my holiday, and the presence of quite a few Scots in the bar on the coast  for the knock out games livened things up. 

I enjoyed Germany too, as it was in my backyard, and i had tickets for Stuttgart 3rd place playoff, which was epic apart from the game, just that England stank the place out.

Qatar can fuck off.

I'm more ambivalent about watching this one than I was about 2018 when I could already see what a complete and utter fucktard Putin is and wanted nothing to do with his country.

The death toll in Qatar of migrant workers is appalling.  Revealed: 6500 migrant workers have died in Qatar since ...https://www.theguardian.com › global-development › feb. When even The Sieg Mail is commenting on the deaths of foreigners (Just how many have died so Qatar can host the World Cup ...https://www.dailymail.co.uk › sport › article-11246449), you know it's bad.
  • Options
    cblock said:
    1966 we won it.

1982  went there to Bilbao for the opening rounds, Robson after 12 seconds, right behind the goal
    when he scored, followed by the local old bill waiving batons!
    I'd be amazed if they actually waived their batons.
    Be amazed then.
  • Options
    1982, 1986 and 1990

Kind of lost a little bit of interest in World Cup from 1994 onwards
  • Options
    Few stand outs, mainly non football related. 1998 was in gran canaria with my parents and a mate. I was 18 despite England losing I got a shag from someone another mate worked with and fancied, so that was ok. 2002 just finished at university and watched us lose, and then had a viva straight afterwards. Fucked it up and thought that was.
    4 years down the pan but turned out OK. Then the whole class flew to Dublin for a few days and a guy I really didn't like shat his bed.
  • Options
    1998, first World Cup I can remember, got the sticker book etc. everything about that World Cup gives me unbelievable amounts of nostalgia.

2002 is probably the worst - watching England getting dumped out, seaman crying and then having to go through a whole day of school was depressing. Also I remember feeling my mortality, as I worked out at the next World Cup I’d be unbelievably old and 15.