Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Favourite World Cup?

Comments

• Options
    Italia 90 for me. Funny how its supposed to have been rubbish yet so many of us have voted for it.

It coincided with an epic holiday driving across newly free Europe, World in Motion blaring, to Bulgaria, where my footie mad friends awaited. i was on the overnight ferry to the Hook and fortunately we could watch the last group stage game in the bar. I swear the ferry swayed as Platty scored the winner. Then it just seemed to track my holiday, and the presence of quite a few Scots in the bar on the coast  for the knock out games livened things up. 

I enjoyed Germany too, as it was in my backyard, and i had tickets for Stuttgart 3rd place playoff, which was epic apart from the game, just that England stank the place out.

Qatar can fuck off.

I'm more ambivalent about watching this one than I was about 2018 when I could already see what a complete and utter fucktard Putin is and wanted nothing to do with his country.

The death toll in Qatar of migrant workers is appalling.  Revealed: 6500 migrant workers have died in Qatar since ...https://www.theguardian.com › global-development › feb. When even The Sieg Mail is commenting on the deaths of foreigners (Just how many have died so Qatar can host the World Cup ...https://www.dailymail.co.uk › sport › article-11246449), you know it's bad.
    Mate, I was already in that position ten years earlier, but for me there's still a big difference. Reading the stories we can see how more and more (broadly from 1990 it seems) it became possible for ordinary fans to go tournos and experience the country, and even back home people getting a much greater flavour of the places where it was all happening. Take Putin out of it, and at some point, Russia was a decent shout for a WC. Football is in the culture - and I can well believe some fans who went had a great time because ordinary Russians have a reputation for hospitality. And it was kind of interesting to see their team, doped to the eyeballs, and then dropping from the sky, to reach their usual under-performing level. Qatar? Give me a break. By all rational judgement the team they put out should be National League level. If they get even one point it will be highly dubious. And as for staying on cruise ships cos there isn't the hotel accom...And the national leagues are being disrupted in November for this corruptly awarded nonsense? Nah, I'll watch England probably but otherwise it can fuck off.
  • Options
    I know there's lots of argument why it wasn't a good world cup, but Italia '90 is my favourite. Mainly because it was the first I can remember being really into, but also England's heart breaking run, Jackie C's Irish underdogs, and dancing in the playground like Roger Milla.

Loved France '98 as well. I was 16, football was so much fun (Charlton were flying under Curbs and it was that chaotic 90s era when money met unprofessionalism and before it all got too serious), and the real Ronaldo and Zidane (my two favourite non Charlton players) were in their pomp.
    My kids would have been very embarrassed if I’d danced round the playground like Roger Milla.
  • Options
    for me it is France 98. Perfect age for it and was still on a high from Charlton getting promoted. 

Worst by a distance was 2010. fucking abysmal tournament. 2002 wasn't brilliant either. 
  • Options
    World Cup of Crisps
  • Options
    cblock said:
    cblock said:
    1966 we won it.

1982  went there to Bilbao for the opening rounds, Robson after 12 seconds, right behind the goal
    when he scored, followed by the local old bill waiving batons!
    I'd be amazed if they actually waived their batons.
    Be amazed then.
    @cblock waived / waved. Rather different things to do with one’s baton. 
  • Options
    1966 when we, i.e. England won it
  • Options
    for me it is France 98. Perfect age for it and was still on a high from Charlton getting promoted. 

Worst by a distance was 2010. fucking abysmal tournament. 2002 wasn't brilliant either. 
    All of them since 02 have been dire. I think I was very football obsessed in 02 - still at school-and hence have a soft spot for it , despite the farcical officiating and dreadful final . 

My favourite tournaments of my lifetime are 96, 94, 08
  • Options
    A lot of the tournaments merge together after time, one horror that sticks out is the South Africa one...England played about 10 minutes of football in the whole tournament, ironically in the German game when we got smashed 4-1. I was watching it in Switzerland with German commentary, near the end the camera picked out a well known singer from Dartford (who appeared to be chewing two lemons) and the commentator noted "Zur Mick Jagger, he can't get no satisfaction, hur, hur, hur". It was so bad by that point I couln't help chuckling.

I suppose the next one was even worse, knocked out after two games!
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

All of them since 02 have been dire. I think I was very football obsessed in 02 - still at school-and hence have a soft spot for it , despite the farcical officiating and dreadful final . 

2018 wasn't dire at all.
  • Options
    never forget that fifa corruption stole a world cup during one of our hottest ever summers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    2010 was definitely the worst World Cup. 
  • Options
    cblock said:
    cblock said:
    1966 we won it.

1982  went there to Bilbao for the opening rounds, Robson after 12 seconds, right behind the goal
    when he scored, followed by the local old bill waiving batons!
    I'd be amazed if they actually waived their batons.
    Be amazed then.
    @cblock waived / waved. Rather different things to do with one’s baton. 
    Thanks for the lesson Dad
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    2010 was definitely the worst World Cup. 
    All I remember from that one is the vuvuzelas droning over every game
  • Options
    We all knew Ajax were good but no one has expected the type of Football Holland brought to the tournament. The win over Argentina was like a ballet, over Brazil it was a statement. Then the German came and did what they do best...

• Options
    wmcf123 said:

2018 wasn't dire at all.
    I didn’t see anything good about it but I’m glad you enjoyed it . 
  • Options
    Even though I am not the most optimistic person in the world, I can't help but feel sorry for those (English people) whose most memorable tournaments were the ones when England did badly. 
  • Options
    I'm personally not excited for Qatar at all. 

I can be a perfectionist in the sense that if England do win another major trophy...

I want it to be in a normal respectable country and to follow the typical tradition that a world cup usually has!

I'd much rather Charlton get promoted instead of England winning this particular world Cup. 

Its no contest for me

• Options
    Rio 2014 was good. That 7-1 thrashing of Brazil was tremendous fun.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:

2018 wasn't dire at all.
    Yeah, not like we went on our best world cup run for 28 years
    We were poor in all bar the Sweden game and got very lucky with the draw .  Each to their own. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    wmcf123 said:
    MrOneLung said:
    wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:

2018 wasn't dire at all.
    We were poor in all bar the Sweden game and got very lucky with the draw .  Each to their own. 
    You said you didn’t see anything good in it.

You can argue we had luck of the draw etc but to say getting to the WC Semis isn’t good ? 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    wmcf123 said:
    MrOneLung said:
    wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:

2018 wasn't dire at all.
    You said you didn’t see anything good in it.

You can argue we had luck of the draw etc but to say getting to the WC Semis isn’t good ? 
    You’re right - I should have said enjoyable .  You’re evidently a bigger England fan than I am - that’s my failing .  International football does nothing for me 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    wmcf123 said:

There was a World Cup in 96 and 08?
  • Options
    I see C4 has a programme on Italia 90 on Monday night.

Dunno if its just some old repeat they dug up. If it’s half decent I will give that a watch
  • Options
    How will you know whether or not it's half decent until you've watched it?
  • Options
    It’s quite incredible how England’s run to the Semi Final in 2018 and Final in 2020 somehow gets criticised more frequently than the embarrassing group stage exit in 2014 or Round of 16 humiliation to Iceland.

We’re a strange country at times.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    It’s quite incredible how England’s run to the Semi Final in 2018 and Final in 2020 somehow gets criticised more frequently than the embarrassing group stage exit in 2014 or Round of 16 humiliation to Iceland.

We’re a strange country at times.
    Usually from the people who ‘don’t care about international football’

Like to talk about it tho.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    1966 because apart from winning it, I went to all of England’s 5 games up to and including the semi final but as a teenager couldn’t get a final ticket for love nor money.
  • Options
    1990 The first world cup in my lifetime we should have won and would have if we'd won that shoot out. 
  • Options
    1990 for me, as a nine year old mega into football and all things football I was beyond excited to see these almost ethereal, exotic footballers I knew next to nothing about. Tota Schillachi, Roger Milla, Lothar Mattheus, Ruud Gullit, Carlos Valderamma, Rene Higuita. 

From the first game seeing Cameroon kick the living shit out of the dirty argie bastards to Steve McMahon dropping a bollock against Ireland to let Sheedy score. Klinsmann and all the Germans diving all over the place every time they got tackled. That filthy bastard Rijkaard gobbing into Rudi Vollers tightly permed mane and somehow Voller getting sent off for his part which was mainly being gobbed onto. 

I think the last world cup where the players, especially the South American ones were real unknown quantities was 1994 and as much as I enjoyed Yordan Letchkov scoring that diving header I watched in my dear old nan and grandads caravan with them it was not a fun world cup because we weren't there