Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

FIFA World Cup - Qatar 2022

Comments

• edited November 2022
    Harry Kane is a wonderful passes; ask Heung-min Son.

Harry Kane game continues to evolve and he is a goal maker as well as a goal scorer.

If he can stay fit with the 16 man game he can contribute for England over the next 4 year cycle as a number 10 and as a 9 which he has already been doing as he goes deeper and wide to find space. 
  • I have watched only intermittently given my general lack of interest in this tournament (football in general at the moment). From what I have seen, a few (just about) impartial observations:

I had no expectations in advance about what I considered to be a poor/past it Welsh team. Even so they have disappointed. Absolutely woeful. How on earth they got past a useful Ukraine side can only be down to the understandable distractions of the latter. Home with their tails firmly between their legs (a metaphor there for those who want to find it). 

England are either managing their way brilliantly or Southgate is a jammy git. Probably an element of both. Nevertheless, despite boring the pants of us for long periods while scoring 9 goals (I know, I know….), they are looking menacing. A wealth of talent with the stand ins looking good and in some cases better than the first picks. The much maligned central defenders have performed creditably against limited opposition so far. Questions remain about what the best side should be and whether the defence will stand up to concerted higher quality opposition. This tournament isn’t there for that taking like the last two but, perversely, this might be Englands best chance. 

From the bits and pieces I have seen (big caveat) there isn’t an outstanding side. Brazil are good but lack the gold dust (real or imagined) of the samba gods of yore. France and Spain are also impressive in spurts  but are an injury/suspension away from being neutered. Neither have England’s depth of squad. It’s an open tournament. 

The draw is ok. It’s not the “take a deep breath we’re gonna win this thing guys and gals” draw of 2018. But it is doable.  Senegal will be tricky. A banana skin if ever there was one but their talisman is out. France will be very tough but it’s a 50-50 match if England turn up and have a go. The real tournament begins now. Things will be clearer after the round of 16. 
  • One game at a time, we were good last night and stopped Wales playing. If we had done that against USA it would have been a different outcome, but we let them dictate the match. 

We should beat Senegal, but they do have some good players so we need to be on our guard, no time for any sloppy performances now as that will be the end of it. 

In a one-off game we shouldn't fear anyone (Brazil/France), so let's enjoy the ride and hope it's a long one! 

Come on England! 
  • I still don't believe that we are using Foden to the best of his capabilities out wide and that we will need his ability on the ball and to be able to see a pass in a more central position. So the only change I would make from yesterday's team is to replace Henderson with Saka or Sterling and have Foden in a midfield three with Rice and Bellingham.
  • I still don't believe that we are using Foden to the best of his capabilities out wide and that we will need his ability on the ball and to be able to see a pass in a more central position. So the only change I would make from yesterday's team is to replace Henderson with Saka or Sterling and have Foden in a midfield three with Rice and Bellingham.
    Yeah i think we could have tried that in one of the group games. Not sure now as it's a risk as he is not very defensive minded, although he does track back. 

I think in time he will play the KDB role, but i don't see Southgate risking ahead of Mount or Henderson who have both played this role alot more, i can see them sticking with Henderson. The only potential change is Sterling in for one of Foden/Rashford and the other being used as a sub but i don't think the fans would like that. 

Same team barring injury Sunday, also wouldn't be too disappointed if Phillips came in and if he was match fit. 
  • edited November 2022
    I still don't believe that we are using Foden to the best of his capabilities out wide and that we will need his ability on the ball and to be able to see a pass in a more central position. So the only change I would make from yesterday's team is to replace Henderson with Saka or Sterling and have Foden in a midfield three with Rice and Bellingham.
    Foden rarely plays centrally in midfield for Man City though.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/phil-foden/leistungsdaten/spieler/406635/plus/0?saison=2022
    https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/phil-foden/leistungsdaten/spieler/406635/plus/0?saison=2021

Over the last two seasons, its either been as their central striker (Haaland can do that now), or out on the Left

When the commentators said yesterday in the first half, that it was Man Utd down the left (Shaw and Rashford) | Man City down the right (Walker | Foden), I thought Southgate was being pretty clever at the time doing that - However think he was too smart for his own good, and when Foden was switched to the left for the 2nd half, we finally started to see the Man City version of him.

Just be interesting now to see if Southgate sticks with that, or whether he reverts back to Sterling.
  • edited November 2022
    I still don't believe that we are using Foden to the best of his capabilities out wide and that we will need his ability on the ball and to be able to see a pass in a more central position. So the only change I would make from yesterday's team is to replace Henderson with Saka or Sterling and have Foden in a midfield three with Rice and Bellingham.
    Foden rarely plays centrally in midfield for Man City though.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/phil-foden/leistungsdaten/spieler/406635/plus/0?saison=2022
    https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/phil-foden/leistungsdaten/spieler/406635/plus/0?saison=2021

Over the last two seasons, its either been as their central striker (Haaland can do that now), or out on the Left

When the commentators said yesterday in the first half, that it was Man Utd down the left (Shaw and Rashford) | Man City down the right (Walker | Foden), I thought Southgate was being pretty clever at the time doing that - However think he was too smart for his own good, and when Foden was switched to the left for the 2nd half, we finally started to see the Man City version of him.

Just be interesting now to see if Southgate sticks with that, or whether he reverts back to Sterling.
    Foden not starting regularly in a central three is as much to do with the three that are in situ namely Rodri (13 starts from 14 games), KDB (13) and Bernardo Silva (12). Those three are going to be very difficult to displace but I'm sure, eventually, that Foden will regularly play there for City. For England, I would rather see Foden there (or Maddison for that matter) than Mount or Henderson. 
  • The start of the second half Rashford and Foden did switch with immediate result and  when Grealish came on and went left wide, Foden went central but with licence to wander as the game was won. 
  • Sponsored links:

• We really are spoilt for choice in attacking areas arent we. Considering we've scored 9 goals and arguably our best ever striker isn't one of them, is ridiculous.
  • One thing that could be good for us is that there is a 6 day gap (we play 4th and 10th Dec) between our last 16 and quarter final matches if we make it.

Not sure how the schedulers worked that out given some sides play 5th and 9th and 6th and 10th.
  • With all the interchangeable options in attacking areas, and his excellent form so far, Maguire is now one of the first names on the teamsheet.
  • So if we get to a penalty shootout who takes them:

Kane
    Saka
    Trippier
    Foden
    Henderson
    Maddison
    Wilson
    Mount

Not that order but top 5 would be in maybe if Maddison/ Wilson on they could replace 

Kane
    Saka
    Trippier
    Foden
    Henderson
    Maddison
    Wilson
    Mount

Not that order but top 5 would be in maybe if Maddison/ Wilson on they could replace 
    Could throw Grealish in there, he wanted to take one against Italy

Kane
    Saka
    Trippier
    Foden
    Henderson
    Maddison
    Wilson
    Mount

I think he has missed his last few, maybe Maguire could be in there too really depends who is on the pitch so i thought it could create a could debate. 

Kane
    Saka
    Trippier
    Foden
    Henderson
    Maddison
    Wilson
    Mount

I think he has missed his last few, maybe Maguire could be in there too really depends who is on the pitch so i thought it could create a could debate. 
    Maguire could be a great shot... Scored a great one in that shootout
  • I'll fuck with their heads and have Pickford up first. He scores then every other player including the opposition goalkeeper will feel the pressure plus it gives Pickford a right boost.

Kane
    Saka
    Trippier
    Foden
    Henderson
    Maddison
    Wilson
    Mount

Maguire could be a great shot... Scored a great one in that shootout
    He could well be a sound choice although I can't get out of my head a vision of him hitting one into Row Z following that overhit cross of his last night!
  • Sponsored links:

• johnnybev1987 said:
    So if we get to a penalty shootout who takes them:

Kane
    Saka
    Trippier
    Foden
    Henderson
    Maddison
    Wilson
    Mount

Is there anyone in the squad you actively wouldn't want to take one?
  • edited November 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    johnnybev1987 said:

Kane
    Saka
    Trippier
    Foden
    Henderson
    Maddison
    Wilson
    Mount

Anyone who comes off the bench specifically to take one
  • edited November 2022
    Have a proper feeling the argies are going home tonight. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    johnnybev1987 said:

Kane
    Saka
    Trippier
    Foden
    Henderson
    Maddison
    Wilson
    Mount

Nick Pope?
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    johnnybev1987 said:

Kane
    Saka
    Trippier
    Foden
    Henderson
    Maddison
    Wilson
    Mount

Nick Pope?
    How many keepers have we got on the bench 2, 3? Bring them on and make them take the penalties.
  • First 3 pens by keepers then I guess we'll have to let those outfield players have a go. 

Henderson might not be the most technically gifted but I don’t think there’s any other player on our squad that has the engine he has. Against Wales you could hear him really firing the others up on the pitch. Need to get that balance of ability/leadership/workman on the pitch which is the difficult part. 
  • very difficult game to come v Senegal .. I fancy USA to beat Holland
  • Have a proper feeling the argies are going home tonight. 
    Nah , they win it 
  • Unsurprisingly France have made 9 changes.